2018 QB Depth Chart

Yes, we are speaking to a couple transfers at the QB position. They aren't game changers, in my opinion. With that being said, I think a transfer would be a welcome addition for no other reason than to add depth and experience.

Let's use Speight as an example (no he's not one of the 2 mentioned above but seems to be a popular topic on here). He comes from the Big10 at a top program. He would undoubtedly offer experience, maturity, depth, and talent. At the very least, he brings a lot of desired intangibles. He would be able to work with kids like JG and JT. In the best case scenario, he ends up being the starter and has a successful statistical season and leading us to 8 wins. In the worst case scenario he can still bring a lot to the team, that we don't have at the QB position.

Is he better than QD or JG? That is entirely up for discussion, but there's no arguing he would be a positive addition to the program.

Also, for what it is worth (I know this won't be popular on here) after seeing how Hurts handled himself last night and how JG handled himself vs GT. I really question if JG is any sort of answer to the QB position.

Hurts doesn't fit Helton's offense. Speight would be good because he can play immediately and his is likely familiar with this type offense. Viable #2 behind JG. You redshirt JT, since he isn't an EE.

That’s not remotely true. They both have nfl type arm strength, very little difference between the two. Arm strength for either is not the problem....it’s the other intangibles.

Why have i seen recievers having to come back to the ball 30 yards downfield, dormady has no where near the arm strength of JG.

Reactions: 1 person
JG and Dormady both sling it as well or better.

Both received more praise from professionals and camped better than Shrout. But you think he starts by 2019 because of one good camp?

JG and even Dormady had better stats vs college teams than Shrout had vs HS teams. HS stats arent even close.

He started one year in HS.

So qb with less experience, and less praise than who we have now is going to start over them?

A player with high school stats worse than the ones that got Dormady benched is going to be a starter?

He is a good prospect. But if he starts its after JG graduates and we miss on all the 4 and 5 star and we are recruiting. He is years away from being a contributer.

Y?all quit feeding this guy, he makes zero sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people
:clapping:

Another gem. But he has a lower ypa as a Sr than JG as a Fr.

Never completed as high a percentage of his passes as JG either.

But he is better?
:eek:k:

Yes because once again, if JG has one stat that is better than anyone, JG is the best QB to ever walk this earth. Please tell me why JG didn’t win the Heisman this year.

It’s amazing how biased you are to push your agenda. Wilson Speight is definitely a better QB than anyone on out roster.

All you gotta do is compare win loss records since you are just cherry picking stats. You truly are a petulant child.

Love to say JG is the best in the country but don’t wanna ever mention that W/L record though.

Last edited:
I believe the starter will be JG. I believe he earned a lot of respect from his teammates by his toughness and heart he showed. I believe his upside is higher than QD. I get that some will say QD fits the new offense better but I think that’s level playing field as neither are true dual threats.

I still can’t get past watch QD be a turnover machine. Also QD player scared he avoided contact threw ball carelessly to avoid hits. He is too soft. Plus his productivity or lack there of was against weaker competition compared to JG.

I really like JG he showed toughness and heart. He played against better competition and took care of the ball better. Obviously a concern is his durability and lack of weight. But if he can put on weight and get some development from the new staff I think we could see some good improvement.

All in all I believe JG wins job and QD transfers in spring.

Still better than anything we have on the roster at QB. And he can even throw it down the field. Something we haven't had in years.

He is not durable for 1, and we definitely don't wnat someone who couldn't win the Michigan job. that offense wasn't very good either.

NO WAY!

He is not durable for 1, and we definitely don't wnat someone who couldn't win the Michigan job. that offense wasn't very good either.

NO WAY!

What's his W/L record compared to our current QB's?

Try again Johnny Boy.

Also in our never ending debates and lively discussions, I'd like to say I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Try again Johnny Boy.

Also in our never ending debates and lively discussions, I'd like to say I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Level of competition is a factor as well.

Who has he beat this year? Ohio State? No! Michigan State? No! Wisconsin? No!

Record is a great stat when it is against Quality teams but his isn't!

Speight is an average QB and no better than any other QB on our roster. He would be even worse against SC defenses!

You have no arguement here, Zero Credibility! Speight was a junior who lost the starting Job at Michigan. JG is a RS Freshman big difference. JG will be greater than Speight.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well!:)
I repeat we do not want Wilson Speight! No way no how!

Level of competition is a factor as well.

Who has he beat this year? Ohio State? No! Michigan State? No! Wisconsin? No!

Record is a great stat when it is against Quality teams but his isn't!

Speight is an average QB and no better than any other QB on our roster. He would be even worse against SC defenses!

You have no arguement here, Zero Credibility! Speight was a junior who lost the starting Job at Michigan. JG is a RS Freshman big difference. JG will be greater than Speight.

I repeat we do not want Wilson Speight! No way no how!

He lost his job because of an injury. Also, there is nothing that suggests JG is a better qb in a pro style system. So you might want to rethink claims like that when using the word credibility.

Still better than anything we have on the roster at QB. And he can even throw it down the field. Something we haven't had in years.

No he’s not. JG has talent, he can throw the football and he’s shown decent scrambling ability. He just badly needs legit QB coaching to improve his pocket presence and field awareness. His biggest problem last year was having no ability to feel pressure and get rid of the ball. Improve that and some of his mechanics, along with installing a legit D1 offense which suits his skill set and we’re good with him at QB. And a halfway competent OL wouldn’t hurt. He’s tough as hell and has shown very good leadership skills. He can be a very good SEC qb, certainly much better than Wilton Speight imo.

Reactions: 3 people
He lost his job because of an injury. Also, there is nothing that suggests JG is a better qb in a pro style system. So you might want to rethink claims like that when using the word credibility.

Speight hasn't been successful against good defenses either. JG has better arm strength and leadership.

Pro Style or Spread doesn't matter Speight hasn't shown anything to warrent a shot in the SEC!

No he’s not. JG has talent, he can throw the football and he’s shown decent scrambling ability. He just badly needs legit QB coaching to improve his pocket presence and field awareness. His biggest problem last year was having no ability to feel pressure and get rid of the ball. Improve that and some of his mechanics, along with installing a legit D1 offense which suits his skill set and we’re good with him at QB. And a halfway competent OL wouldn’t hurt. He’s tough as hell and has shown very good leadership skills. He can be a very good SEC qb, certainly much better than Wilton Speight imo.

Agree with this. Speight was #23 Pro QB in his class. We just need a backup plan if WM and QD fly the coup. That said, I am sure WS would not come in with out assurance of an open QB competition.

JG took zero chances. If his first read was gone, he would always take the sack. Now this can be taught (Look at Ainge's first year with Cut). The biggest issue that was glaring with JG compared to QD is that JG took zero chances. JG also has zero mobility. Guy is slower than molasses.
Would rather take 9 sacks than take a chance with a receiver. On the flip side, QD took tons of chances, but only took 3 sacks in his 4.5 games. He even had a low amount of interceptions at 3 that were squarely his fault.

Regardless, both have a decent enough foundation that a legit OC/QB Coach like Helton can come in and improve.

Regardless, saying JG is anywhere close to Wilson Speight is laughable. Guy has actually won against good teams.

JG took zero chances. If his first read was gone, he would always take the sack. Now this can be taught (Look at Ainge's first year with Cut). The biggest issue that was glaring with JG compared to QD is that JG took zero chances. JG also has zero mobility. Guy is slower than molasses.
Would rather take 9 sacks than take a chance with a receiver. On the flip side, QD took tons of chances, but only took 3 sacks in his 4.5 games. He even had a low amount of interceptions at 3 that were squarely his fault.

Regardless, both have a decent enough foundation that a legit OC/QB Coach like Helton can come in and improve.

Regardless, saying JG is anywhere close to Wilson Speight is laughable. Guy has actually won against good teams.

Oline injuries.

47.3% vs SEC teams vs 65.1% vs SEC teams. 1td 5ints vs SEC teams to 3/1.

Maybe Dormady should learn to take the sack instead of throwing up a duck.

And Wilton freakin Speight? :eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Bruh you are good for several good laughs a day.

Try again Johnny Boy.

Winning pct. means jack in the overall scheme of things. Who is currently holds the best all time winning pct. among UT QBs? Tee Martin, who had an .880 winning pct., followed by Peyton with a .869 winning pct.

Good QBs can play on bad teams, and vice versa. Note: not saying Tee wasn’t a great college QB, just that winning pct. skews things.

Who had the worst winning pct. since 1990? I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I think Tyler Bray or Worley, Ricky Clausen just below them.

Bray was a doofus, but hardly the worst we’ve had.

Winning pct. means jack in the overall scheme of things. Who is currently holds the best all time winning pct. among UT QBs? Tee Martin, who had an .880 winning pct., followed by Peyton with a .869 winning pct.

Good QBs can play on bad teams, and vice versa. Note: not saying Tee wasn’t a great college QB, just that winning pct. skews things.

Who had the worst winning pct. since 1990? I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I think Tyler Bray or Worley, Ricky Clausen just below them.

Bray was a doofus, but hardly the worst we’ve had.

Bray had stats though. And since we have a lot of people on this board that love to cherrypick stats to make a case of who's good and who's not, I'm just joining in.

Bray had stats though. And since we have a lot of people on this board that love to cherrypick stats to make a case of who's good and who's not, I'm just joining in.

And Bray was a really good college QB in spite of his attitude.

Just for the record, Dormady has better things to "do".

UT_Dormady_and_girlfriend.jpg

:)

Who has Speight beat? No on ranked, or even a team that was remotely good?

Which is preferable, take a sack and the offense has the ball, or take a chance and give the other team the ball?

Hurts doesn't fit Helton's offense. Speight would be good because he can play immediately and his is likely familiar with this type offense. Viable #2 behind JG. You redshirt JT, since he isn't an EE.

Bro it's not some magical air raid. It's a typical spread offense with some WCO sprinkled on it. Hurts would be fine running it against 80 percent of the defenses we'll face next year.

VN Store

Back