Top 10 biggest recruiting busts at UT since 2000

I think this could be an interesting topic. We should start with nominees and ultimately put a poll together to identify and vote on the top 10.

The criteria (suggested... feel free to chime in):

• Obviously they would have had to sign with Tennessee.
  • Must have been a 5 or 4 star recruit out of high school by at least 2 of the 4 recruiting services.
  • Severe injury abruptly ending or greatly hampering a players career should exclude them for consideration on this list. A player with constant nagging injuries or a kid that was injury-prone and therefore never met their potential is fair game.
  • In honor of whom I feel will be a strong contender for the #1 spot, this list will be known as the Kahlil McKenzie 10
  • Here's Rivals rankings to help you remember and research potential candidates. VolQuest.com

I'll start...

Kahlil McKenzie, 5* 2015
Chris Donald, 5* 2007
Ben Martin, 5* 2007
Bryce Brown, 5* 2009
Kenny O'Neal, 5* 2007
James Banks, 5* 2002

who else?

idiot if you put kmac with those guys

Reactions: 7 people
Hey let's have a thread that pisses on our current and former players because that's constructive.

Only players I would call busts would be the idiots that tried to rob someone back during the Kiffin days. I'm not going out of my way to name and shame former Vol players that didn't pan out for one reason or the other. And quite frankly you should be ashamed of doing this as well. We've got a helluva recruiting class to talk about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Hey let's have a thread that pisses on our current and former players because that's constructive.

Only players I would call busts would be the idiots that tried to rob someone back during the Kiffin days. I'm not going out of my way to name and share former Vol players that didn't pan out for one reason or the other. And quite frankly you should be ashamed of doing this as well. We've got a helluva recruiting class to talk about.

I agree with you and macrovol. I don't think KMac was a bust. I'm not sure he quite lived up to the enormous amount of hype that came with him, but that's not his fault. IMO he should have stayed for his senior season, but hey, he should do what he thinks is best for himself. At least he's all VFL with his attitude.

Why are you drooling? That class accomplished almost zilch..It was a bust class as a whole. Here is a better question than the OP, which class was the biggest bust?

You off your meds again? :)

2003: 10-3 & Division Champs (Co)
2004: 10-3 & Division Champs

Jason Allen
James Banks
Gerald Riggs Jr
JT Mapu
Mondre Dickerson
Jonathan Wade
James Wilhoit
Omar Gaither
Justin Harrell
Parys Haralson
Aaron Kirkland
Cody Douglas
Rob Smith
Gibril Wilson
Marvin Mitchell

What a bunch of busters!....

Reactions: 5 people
Monty Kiffin JR
Vince Dooley JR
Lyle Jones
Greg Shiano

Worst recruiting job by multiple AD's EVER!

Reactions: 7 people
Munoz was a three year starter.

You beat me to it. Actually Michael deserves some type of award to be named after him for playing through incredible injury and pain. HE DEFINITELY WAS NOT A BUST....and loved his time with the VOLS.....

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back