Does Defense Still Win Championships?

So far in the CFP, it seems like the top defenses get torched by the top offenses (spread offenses). Bama got torched by Ohio State in the 2014 CFP for 42, Clemson in the 2015 CFP for 40, and Clemson in the 2016 CFP for 35. They also gave up 42 to OU in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Saban wanted these offenses to be restricted.

Today Georgia, with all of its great front-7 players, can't do a thing to contain OU.

I like the Pruitt hire, I think he's going to do well here in recruiting and coaching, but this is the reason I wanted a spread-oriented coach. That kind of offense gives us the best shot of beating Georgia, Alabama, and even other teams that get their pick of the litter in the front-7 like Florida and LSU. I hope our staff serves notice. I'm fine with being multiple but developing a good QB and spreading the defense out is how you beat the big boys nowadays imo.

Georgia beat OU today. And Bama is beating Clemson in the third, 24-6.

Offense is great, but you have to be able to stop your opponent.

Think of it like a war game. You have to be able to do more damage than your opponent (think South in the Civil War), but the better your defense, the longer you are able to stay in the fight (Think Germany in WW2).

Both are needed.

Reactions: 1 person
UGA's offense against Alabama's defense should be interesting and help settle it.

With all the great offensive production Manning had at Indy and Denver, when they put their defense together, they won a SB. When they didn't....they didn't.

Reactions: 5 people

Think of it like a war game. You have to be able to do more damage than your opponent (think South in the Civil War), but the better your defense, the longer you are able to stay in the fight (Think Germany in WW2).

Both are needed.
Both are needed is correct. Clemson may not be doing well, and CJP is doing a great job, but that doesn't change the fact that offenses who have scored against them have done so by spreading them out and going up tempo. Not by going under center.

Both are needed is correct. Clemson may not be doing well, and CJP is doing a great job, but that doesn't change the fact that offenses who have scored against them have done so by spreading them out and going up tempo. Not by going under center.

Well, there are other factors as well. While I have no issues with a spread offense, that is a generic term. You can run a spread from under center. You can run an old style, smash mouth two-back run scheme from shotgun.

You have to look at who those teams have faced this year, and what schemes they ran. I can't think of any under center teams that Bama has faced. So, it is most likely talent level more so than scheme. Georgia has faced Georgia Tech, but even they have sets they run from shotgun.

Give me good solid coaches who teach and preach fundamentals. Give me naturally talented athletes who are smart. Give me lots of discipline. Lastly, give me scheme.

Like Neyland said, the team who makes the fewest mistakes wins.

Reactions: 6 people
Well, there are other factors as well. While I have no issues with a spread offense, that is a generic term. You can run a spread from under center. You can run an old style, smash mouth two-back run scheme from shotgun.

You have to look at who those teams have faced this year, and what schemes they ran. I can't think of any under center teams that Bama has faced. So, it is most likely talent level more so than scheme. Georgia has faced Georgia Tech, but even they have sets they run from shotgun.

Give me good solid coaches who teach and preach fundamentals. Give me naturally talented athletes who are smart. Give me lots of discipline. Lastly, give me scheme.

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clapping:

Very astute. And often one star athlete and it's usually the QB (think Manning or Mayfield) can make the difference whatever the scheme may be. Talent, and that goes back to recruiting.

Defense gave up 38 in regulation. Playing well in the second half doesn't mean they won the game. Offense needed 45 in regulation to take it to OT. These games are played in the 30s and 40s. UGA was able to keep up. Pretty simple.

But again, no way a pro-style heavy offense can score as much against UGA (or Bama) as OU did. That's the point that is being lost even though it should be such an easy point to grasp.

So what your saying is ... You hope we model our team after the losers rather than the winners ... in order to become good enough to beat them. Sounds great.

Both are needed.

So we just need to be Confederate Nazis to win?

Or should we go Nazi-Confederate?

At this point I'm open to any suggestions to prevent us from sucking.

So we just need to be Confederate Nazis to win?

Or should we go Nazi-Confederate?

At this point I'm open to any suggestions to prevent us from sucking.

No, the point I was making is you can't win with only defense. But you also need to have a good defense, no matter how good your offense is.

I watched most of the games and a) QB play without a doubt is the difference maker, b) If you have a crappy OL and you can't block a good defense, you are toast, c) like someone else said, you don't win championships without a good defense, and d) if you are faster, tougher, stronger, and don't give up, you have a solid chance of winning. I hope CJP brings those things back to UT.

Bama, Georgia, UCF, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc....all had great defenses.

I watched most of the games and a) QB play without a doubt is the difference maker, b) If you have a crappy OL and you can't block a good defense, you are toast, c) like someone else said, you don't win championships without a good defense, and d) if you are faster, tougher, stronger, and don't give up, you have a solid chance of winning. I hope CJP brings those things back to UT.

This is spot on!

Bama will shut down Georgia's running game for the most part then it's Pruitt and Saban versus a true freshman QB.

I still don't think Hurts is anything special for Bama. Now the surrounding cast is fantastic and Hurts is dangerous if he breaks contain but as a passer he holds Bama back IMHO.

There is a reason Chip Kelly went to UCLA, did not want to face those great SEC defenses on a regular basis. Here is the question you should ask, would you rather have a great offense with a below or average defense OR would you rather have a dominant defense with a average offense? Give me that dominant defense. Bama right now is a dominant defense with a average offense.

Reactions: 2 people
There is a reason Chip Kelly went to UCLA, did not want to face those great SEC defenses on a regular basis. Here is the question you should ask, would you rather have a great offense with a below or average defense OR would you rather have a dominant defense with a average offense? Give me that dominant defense. Bama right now is a dominant defense with a average offense.

I think the bleacher report summed it up this morning..."throttle the opposing offense, avoid major mistakes, control the pace with an effective running game". Kinda like a summary of the maxims. Bama ain't pretty at times, but they dominate you.

In SEC defense is a must, not rocket science. Now getting outside playing a high flying offense one off is a different animal, ask Auburn, whom let UCF take the W

Auburn Clemsons regularly, and probably will until they decide that offense oriented coaches like Malzahn in a defense oriented conference is like trying to win consistently with a Butch Jones. Auburn plays good games but can't figure out how to sustain the level of play.

I think the bleacher report summed it up this morning..."throttle the opposing offense, avoid major mistakes, control the pace with an effective running game". Kinda like a summary of the maxims. Bama ain't pretty at times, but they dominate you.

It went the opposite direction from the 2 previous meetings where Bama (with a dominate D) scored 31 points and lost, and where they gave up 40 and still won. I don't think there was drastic difference in the 2 previous defenses Bama fielded. The other side of the coin was the difference IMO, D. Watson didn't run out of that locker room last night.

VN Store

Back