O-line next season

I40flyer

keeping it real
Our O-line is in need of great repair, at least that is what I'm seeing. I'm sure a large part of the problem is coaching, with that said, do we have any "Up and Comers" that can/will make a difference from game one?
Play calling doesn't seem to have helped, but we need some serious improvement. What have others seen? This year is shot, is there any help on the way?
:hi:

Not really and our best instate o-lineman is looking elsewhere. We need a new coach, quick.

Reactions: 2 people
Our O-line is in need of great repair, at least that is what I'm seeing. I'm sure a large part of the problem is coaching, with that said, do we have any "Up and Comers" that can/will make a difference from game one?
Play calling doesn't seem to have helped, but we need some serious improvement. What have others seen? This year is shot, is there any help on the way?
:hi:

This is the worst offensive line ever at UT!

Reactions: 3 people
Drew Richmond doesn't need to be playing left tackle but unfortunately he may be the best we have.

It hurt losing Jack Jones and Boulware in addition to the seniors this year.

This is a poorly performing O-Line, but we had the pieces a good coach needs for success. We will lose coleman thomas, jashon robertson, brett kendrick, jack jones and Venzell Boulware. Thats a ton of starts, and versatility.

Thats essentially an entire starting lineup.

We will have no guards with experience coming back, other than trey smith, who eventually may have wanted a look at tackle. We have only tackles.

Chance Hall will be coming back, you got Drew Richmond, Marcus "Pillow Top" Tatum and Ryan Johnson has had a look at guard lately and he will stay there.

Other than that the only scholarship lineman are Nathan Niehaus, Krojan Calbert, Riley Locklear, and Devante Brooks.

Thats it. Cade Mays was a must get.

We need a class of nothing but lineman on both sides cuz we lose the entire defensive front and almost all reserves next year. If hes on our roster and listed anywhere on defensive line, chances are he graduates in 2018. Its the final year for kongbo, kyle phillips, Shy tuttle, K-mac, alexis johnson, quay picou and others.

So 2018 a good defense will be sabotaged by a inept undermanned offensive line. And after 2018 we have a complete rebuild on our hands.

Yay butch thanks.

Last edited:
Didn't know until yesterday that our former OL coach, Sam Pittman, is now coaching OL at Georgia.....

Yep he wasn't good enough to stay on Butch's staff when he came in. Never mind that our O-line under Dooley was crushing people. By a strange coincidence, UGA's O-line is crushing people this year.

Reactions: 8 people
This is a dumb post being concerned already about next year. They are trying to get the QB killed this year with the lack of play by the tackles. The TD runs come by running behind Trey Smith. We can't score because we can't keep the o-line from being penalized for jumping early.

Reactions: 1 person
Outside of Smith.. the rest of soft and play like little girls

You are absolutely correct here and for me, this is where the disconnect happens. Can a freshman be that much better than the upper class men? On a at least two occasions last night I saw Smith take out his man and then take out another that had beaten someone on our o-line. Smith is a beast but are the rest actually that bad?

And what of strength and conditioning? Rock was supposed to bring S & C of the NFL. With the exception of a few linemen it seems as they are worse than last year.

I am not a Butch fan but it just seems there is more going here than can be blamed on Butch. Yes, he is the head coach and it all falls on him but when you stand back and look at it, things are just weird...

You are absolutely correct here and for me, this is where the disconnect happens. Can a freshman be that much better than the upper class men? On a at least two occasions last night I saw Smith take out his man and then take out another that had beaten someone on our o-line. Smith is a beast but are the rest actually that bad?

And what of strength and conditioning? Rock was supposed to bring S & C of the NFL. With the exception of a few linemen it seems as they are worse than last year.

I am not a Butch fan but it just seems there is more going here than can be blamed on Butch. Yes, he is the head coach and it all falls on him but when you stand back and look at it, things are just weird...

teams are a reflection of their coach.. Jones is not a tough guy, he is soft too, even when he pretends to be mad even the refs are almost laughing.. Look at our DL, pushed around like they have roller skates on

Both our lines are huge disappointments. Very little talent or at least over rated or under developed. Won't miss any of the OL. Still think Mac needs to be at guard and hope to see Smith moved to tackle. That would help one side of the line. Kendrick and Richmond are soft and a real liability. The new coach...assuming we make a change, will likely need to get some help from the juco ranks.

Reactions: 5 people
Both our lines are huge disappointments. Very little talent or at least over rated or under developed. Won't miss any of the OL. Still think Mac needs to be at guard and hope to see Smith moved to tackle. That would help one side of the line. Kendrick and Richmond are soft and a real liability. The new coach...assuming we make a change, will likely need to get some help from the juco ranks.

Mckenzie is a bust.. he gets blown off the line and most team run right over him

Didn't hear Kongbo's name once last night. Given his performance against Alabama, probably a good thing, but if say he's the biggest bust on the defensive side of the ball.

Yep he wasn't good enough to stay on Butch's staff when he came in. Never mind that our O-line under Dooley was crushing people. By a strange coincidence, UGA's O-line is crushing people this year.

U do know when Pittman was here there were threads wanting him Fired

Jimmy Hyams gave the O-line one of his "thumbs up" this morning. Despite allowing seven sacks, three false starts, and a holding penalty that wiped out an 80 yard TD run.

Jimmy also cited Jashon Robertson as a player that Butch has "developed" while he's been here. My impression of Robertson is that he's a smart player who picked up the system quickly and started as a freshman due to Dooley leaving nothing behind that good group that were seniors in Butch's first year. Since then, Robertson has been a serviceable player, but nothing special. I doubt he will get drafted anywhere next year.

This offensive line can't do anything but get better next season since Kendrick and Thomas will have their eligibility used up.

These guys could have possibly been viable players elsewhere under legitimate coaching but, as it is, neither have developed and are liabilities.

Jones has had 5 seasons to hire a legit offensive line coach and refused to do it in lieu of bringing his buddies in to collect 6 figure salaries.

Jimmy Hyams gave the O-line one of his "thumbs up" this morning. Despite allowing seven sacks, three false starts, and a holding penalty that wiped out an 80 yard TD run.

Jimmy also cited Jashon Robertson as a player that Butch has "developed" while he's been here. My impression of Robertson is that he's a smart player who picked up the system quickly and started as a freshman due to Dooley leaving nothing behind that good group that were seniors in Butch's first year. Since then, Robertson has been a serviceable player, but nothing special. I doubt he will get drafted anywhere next year.

Jimmy is a blithering idiot if he thinks last night or anything this season is remotely acceptable from the O line.

It was against KY, not Alabama or the 86 Bears.

Throw probably 6-8 pressures on the QB last night that Guarantano got out of or threw the ball away and it could have been even uglier.

U do know when Pittman was here there were threads wanting him Fired

Usually takes 2-3 years to build trenches from a bad situation. We had a depleted O-line situation when Kirby brought Chaney and Pittman with him. You could tell last year that the O-line was a WIP. They paid off earlier than expected. We're still not the dominating O-line that we need to be, but we're close. Takes good talent and depth. Can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

teams are a reflection of their coach.. Jones is not a tough guy, he is soft too, even when he pretends to be mad even the refs are almost laughing.. Look at our DL, pushed around like they have roller skates on

Agree on both counts but how can the majority of the OL and DL look like they haven't been in a weight room all year?

I read on here even the players asked Butch to keep Pittman. Wonder if he would have made a difference in the OL? He seems to be doing ok for the Dawgs or is that pure and simply a disparity in talent?

I said about a month ago that the O-line shows signs of a needlessly complicated offense that can't get out of its own way. The end result is that there's more time being spent on schemes and adjustments than actual technique and skill development, with the added bonus of being indecisive once the ball is actually snapped.

I've been a part of such a situation, and it sucks for everyone involved. But the symptoms are all there: slow coming off the ball, half-hearted blocking at the point of attack, and a constant sense of confusion. That points to a schematic issue more than anything.

VN Store

Back