Brent Venables

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
Most of the names suggested as our future coach are on the offensive side of the ball. But all coaches UT has brought in after Neyland have been offensive minded.

Like most fans, I want a proven head coach - preferably at the Power 5 level. But if we hire an assistant coach, it should be Venables. He was the DC on 6 teams that played for the National Championship. I’m dont think it’s coincidental Clemson has gone to another level once he was brought in.

Reactions: 22 people
Most of the names suggested as our future coach are on the offensive side of the ball. But all coaches UT has brought in after Neyland have been offensive minded.

Like most fans, I want a proven head coach - preferably at the Power 5 level. But if we hire an assistant coach, it should be Venables. He was the DC on 6 teams that played for the National Championship. I’m dont think it’s coincidental Clemson has gone to another level once he was brought in.

been saying his name for a while. I would have no problem with this hire

Reactions: 6 people
I agree, but it has been stated he loves being a coordinator and has turned down head coaching jobs before.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah if we're going to go after a coordinator Venables should be candidate #1.

Venables is a great coordinator but the list of coaches who dominated in the SEC as first time head coaches is a short one.

In fact, I can’t think of any in the modern era.

Reactions: 2 people
Venables is a great coordinator but the list of coaches who dominated in the SEC as first time head coaches is a short one.

Smart seems to be doing a good job at UGA. We will have to see if it continues.

Reactions: 3 people

Richt and Fulmer would be about it.

Reactions: 5 people
I agree with all so far. I think he may be waiting on Kansas State?

Kirby also turned down a few head coaching offers until he got a “good one” and happened to be his alma mater. Venables may be waiting on either the right opportunity and/or his alma mater.

I guess there is a chance he wants to coordinate forever. Wouldn’t be the dumbest idea. Make over a million for working hard and have a bit less stress than the HC. Plenty of other decent coaches in college and NFL have done it

I agree, but it has been stated he loves being a coordinator and has turned down head coaching jobs before.

He hasn't turned down anyone like a Tennessee. If Tennessee came calling and threw somewhere between 4 and 5 mill his way he might change his tune.

Nah....we need a proven head coach. No interest in a coordinator who will need seasoning as a head coach. He might be the next Saban or he might be another Charlie strong. I'd prefer Fuente to Venables.

Reactions: 4 people
I would 100% support this hire! I think he would do a fantastic job and would get us to where we ALL want to be...with the talent WE ALREADY HAVE on the roster.

I still prefer a PROVEN, HUGE NAME, BIG TIME coaching hire, but if we don't go that route...Venables would be my next choice!

He hasn't turned down anyone like a Tennessee. If Tennessee came calling and threw somewhere between 4 and 5 mill his way he might change his tune.

His son enrolls this year at Clemson to play lb. It's very unlikely he's not there for atleast 3 more years to coach his son.

I would 100% support this hire! I think he would do a fantastic job and would get us to where we ALL want to be...with the talent WE ALREADY HAVE on the roster.

I still prefer a PROVEN, HUGE NAME, BIG TIME coaching hire, but if we don't go that route...Venables would be my next choice!

Your caps lock key should be revoked.

Reactions: 2 people
I am hopeful we can at least interview some qualified coaches. It’s such a shame we settled on Dooley. He was a position coach - never a coordinator - with 1 winning season as head coach. Still does.

We should interview sitting coaches at Power 5 jobs, sitting coaches at mid-majors, coordinators, and NFL coaches. Neither Bob Stoops nor Jimbo Fisher nor Urban Meyer nor Dabo Swinney (when they went to their first major job) would meet most of our criteria.

This job requires recruiting, but more precisely it requires selling and public relations. Jones’ ridiculous statements and inability to maintain positive optics are contributing to his downfall. Venables has coached under 3 excellent coaches. And clearly his time under Dabo will help him win the selling of the recruits, fans, and media. Perhaps his first head coaching job would come at UT.

You guys are nuts if you think we are going to go anywhere if we fire CBJ and pay someone only $4-5 million.

Reactions: 3 people

Not to be contrary but he has ZERO HC experience and was 2-4 in those NC games. He also never seemed to make any adjustment for OJ Howard and it probably cost Clemson a NC. I would love a defensive guy too but would prefer Durkin/Doeren if we can't get Patterson.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

VN Store

Back