Are changes coming for Tennessee’s coaching staff?

Apologies, yes, Steele for a year until they decided to get serious......and then they hired Aranda, which was considered the best coordinator hire in the country.

My point still stands however. LSU could've gone after either after Steele left for Auburn and put their attention on Aranda, not Shoop, when both coordinators were looking to move to new schools. They interviewed Shoop a year earlier, not during the same period they interviewed and hired Aranda.

Shoop had the job if he wanted it before Steele. And that's what we're discussing.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is loyal to his staff and wants a bunch of yes men around him who will let him make every decision on everything. It's gonna get him canned

Hey guys I was told today,from a lower level booster so he gets a lot of mixed info, that basically if Helfrich or aNY one else is brought in as Co-OC that Azzanni is jumping ship and Butch plans on pursuing Napier has any one heard anything along these lines.

Hey guys I was told today,from a lower level booster so he gets a lot of mixed info, that basically if Helfrich or aNY one else is brought in as Co-OC that Azzanni is jumping ship and Butch plans on pursuing Napier has any one heard anything along these lines.

Seems like I read something about Napier being disgruntled over Saban putting Sarkisian in as OC over him.

Would be an upgrade for us IMO. More importantly, I'm pretty sure recruits would see it as an upgrade as well.

I don't have anything against Azzani. His WR have under performed the last few years but I don't necessarily put all of the blame on him.

But with that being said, if he leaves and we get Napier then I won't miss him one bit.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have anything against Azzani. His WR have under performed the last few years but I don't necessarily put all of the blame on him.

But with that being said, if he leaves and we get Napier then I won't miss him one bit.

Don't think anyone in their right mind would. IMHO it would without a doubt be an upgrade.:good!:

Jeez. Does any of this change the fact that anyone who was anyone thought us hiring shoop was considered a coup?

LSU wanted him in 15, didn't pursue/tuned them down.

Auburn wanted him in 16, and he came here.

16 performance not withstanding, yes Shoop was a hot commodity.

Jeez. Does any of this change the fact that anyone who was anyone thought us hiring shoop was considered a coup?

LSU wanted him in 15, didn't pursue/tuned them down.

Auburn wanted him in 16, and he came here.

16 performance not withstanding, yes Shoop was a hot commodity.

What I find interesting is that some think Jones should get a chance to fix it, but Shoop should go after a year.

What I find interesting is that some think Jones should get a chance to fix it, but Shoop should go after a year.

Not that I agree with firing Shoop, but a coordinator vs a HC? One's a lil more program changing than the other?

Not that I agree with firing Shoop, but a coordinator vs a HC? One's a lil more program changing than the other?

Sure. I just find it ironic that so many preach "patience" and "stability" or continuity in one sense but totally disregard it with a proven commodity in others.

It has to be something other than Butch?

It is - a new HC implies more than likely all new assistants with increased player attrition. Like it or not, admit it or not, who the coaches are does influence where some of these kids end up at. A new coordinator is not as invasive though hiring the wrong coordinator can sometimes put a HC on the hot seat if they don't live up to expectations.

Sure. I just find it ironic that so many preach "patience" and "stability" or continuity in one sense but totally disregard it with a proven commodity in others.

It has to be something other than Butch?

Whether some of you want to admit it or not, Coach Jones had success prior to coming to UT. That success was in line with most of the other mid-majors that have moved to P5 schools.

Shoop had success at Vandy and Penn State. Neither has suffered very much (if at all) defensively with his departure. Maybe this year is a fluke - then maybe he too is in a little over his head.

That said, this year has been a very challenging year for all involved with the team due to the number and type of injuries and timing of when they occurred. Lessor teams would have collapsed completely. This bunch, both players and coaches, on team 120 are a very scrappy bunch - they had to be - or they would not have 8 wins.

It is - a new HC implies more than likely all new assistants with increased player attrition. Like it or not, admit it or not, who the coaches are does influence where some of these kids end up at. A new coordinator is not as invasive though hiring the wrong coordinator can sometimes put a HC on the hot seat if they don't live up to expectations.

No one implied that hiring a coordinator was the same or even similar to hiring a head coach. The hypocrisy still stands. Anything but Jones.

Whether some of you want to admit it or not, Coach Jones had success prior to coming to UT. That success was in line with most of the other mid-majors that have moved to P5 schools.

Shoop had success at Vandy and Penn State. Neither has suffered very much (if at all) defensively with his departure. Maybe this year is a fluke - then maybe he too is in a little over his head.

That said, this year has been a very challenging year for all involved with the team due to the number and type of injuries and timing of when they occurred. Lessor teams would have collapsed completely. This bunch, both players and coaches, on team 120 are a very scrappy bunch - they had to be - or they would not have 8 wins.

I maybe incorrect but weren't you one of those throwing shots at Shoop?

On another point.
If Vandy and Penn State didn't really drop off a lot after Shoop left does that automatically mean that what he did (which obviously drew the attention of some high profile programs) was diminished?

On another point.
If Vandy and Penn State didn't really drop off a lot after Shoop left does that automatically mean that what he did (which obviously drew the attention of some high profile programs) was diminished?

With that thinking, you could say he left something behind. Only Shoop knows how he is to succeed. I think he is talented.

VN Store

Back