Vitale's comments on Duke's season

volfan55

Get Ready for this....
From his post on ESPN.com:
"At Duke, the standard of excellence is not measured on wins and losses. My friends, it is judged on whether or not you hang up another banner. Mike Krzyzewski is all about hanging up banners and not just getting into the big dance. Other schools consider a successful season by punching a ticket to March Madness. Duke went 28-6, and most people would build a statue for their coach with that record."

Anyone want to build a statue for 28-6?

lets face it tourney runs and conference championships are ALL that matters in college basketball. Anyone who thinks duke hasn't lost a big step just isn't paying attention.

what about what vitale said isn't true? If Pearl averaged 28 wins a year, you would want to build a statue for him. I hate Carolina and Bama but I don't disrespect their program.

Although Vitale is a certified buffoon...

that's not debatable. Like NCGB said, once duke gets a legit big man they'll be back. UT would love to have a 28 win season be considered a letdown. How many schools can you name that would consider 28 wins a letdown?

what about what vitale said isn't true? If Pearl averaged 28 wins a year, you would want to build a statue for him. I hate Carolina and Bama but I don't disrespect their program.

He didn't say that. He said a coach with that record (which would mean one year, I would assume).

Bruce is currently averaging 25 wins/year though.

He didn't say that. He said a coach with that record (which would mean one year, I would assume).

Bruce is currently averaging 25 wins/year though.

cut vitale some slack. he's obviously overbearing and annoying but he's forgotten more about college bball than you'll ever know. He knows one 28 win season won't get you a statue, but k still getting a 28 win season out of this team is the point he was getting at.

cut vitale some slack. he's obviously overbearing and annoying but he's forgotten more about college bball than you'll ever know. He knows one 28 win season won't get you a statue, but k still getting a 28 win season out of this team is the point he was getting at.

Oh yeah. Duke overachieved this season. Their lack of a post presence was gonna kill them, and everyone knew it. The 28 wins is a plus, especially after what... 22 last year?

also for what it's worth, Dickie V does not have a Duke bias. He along with waaaaaaaaaaay too many announcers simply have an ACC bias. It's not right, but as an ACC fan, it doesn't bother me as much as the rest of you. That being said, the man is obviously doing something right. ESPN makes a ton off college basketball and he's their premiere attraction.

also for what it's worth, Dickie V does not have a Duke bias. He along with waaaaaaaaaaay too many announcers simply have an ACC bias. It's not right, but as an ACC fan, it doesn't bother me as much as the rest of you. That being said, the man is obviously doing something right. ESPN makes a ton off college basketball and he's their premiere attraction.
I'm betting that the teams and players are the big attraction and porpor fans suffer through Vitaleams tired act to get to the ballgames.

I'm betting that the teams and players are the big attraction and porpor fans suffer through Vitaleams tired act to get to the ballgames.

gotta disagree. ESPN knows exactly what it's doing. If the majority of the viewers couldn't stand Vitale's act, he wouldn't be on there.

lets also not forget they've only hung two banners in his tenure......it's not like he's John Wooden reinvented hanging a NC banner every other couple of years.

the lovefest for duke and unc is warranted due to the tradition and good coaching etc...but everything gets to the ridiculous point sometime.....and Vitale is there.

lets also not forget they've only hung two banners in his tenure......it's not like he's John Wooden reinvented hanging a NC banner every other couple of years.

the lovefest for duke and unc is warranted due to the tradition and good coaching etc...but everything gets to the ridiculous point sometime.....and Vitale is there.

they've hung 3 banners.

gotta disagree. ESPN knows exactly what it's doing. If the majority of the viewers couldn't stand Vitale's act, he wouldn't be on there.

15 years ago , I kinda liked vitale , but now he just gets on my nerves . He was good for college bb in the 80's and 90's but should hang it up now ( or just do acc games ). IMO if you took a pole outside the acc fans you would be shocked at the people who really dont want to listen to him. Everyone outside the acc knows that he is biased toward the acc which makes his whole routine worse !!! :bad:
By the way I'm sure he is a good person , I just dont want to listen to him anymore .

lets face it tourney runs and conference championships are ALL that matters in college basketball. Anyone who thinks duke hasn't lost a big step just isn't paying attention.
Honestly, the regular season and conference tournaments are absolutely meaningless in college basketball. The only thing that matters is...

If you're a smaller school to make it into the tournament, or how far you go if you're a larger school.

As for Duke, I'm somewhere in between in my opinion of them.

Yes, I do believe a big man can solve their woes. However, success at the top level of college basketball nowadays is about one thing and one thing only, and that's getting the best talent available. You're not going to win anything without the best players. If you take the top 20-25 most physically talented players coming out of high school every year, I doubt more than one or two of them is truly interested in playing for Coach K's system. They want to get out there and do their own thing.

VN Store

Back