Military History

Had a good friend pass away yesterday morning, he was a career track NCO who was field commissioned to lead an aero rifle platoon in Vietnam, and afterwards found himself in Rhodesia where he served as a company commander in the Rhodesia Regiment, doing fireforce missions during the bush war.

Cancer, likely agent orange related, ended up getting him, but he didn't hold any ill will, figuring that without agent orange in Vietnam he likely wouldn't have lived nearly as long as he did.

Had a good friend pass away yesterday morning, he was a career track NCO who was field commissioned to lead an aero rifle platoon in Vietnam, and afterwards found himself in Rhodesia where he served as a company commander in the Rhodesia Regiment, doing fireforce missions during the bush war.

Cancer, likely agent orange related, ended up getting him, but he didn't hold any ill will, figuring that without agent orange in Vietnam he likely wouldn't have lived nearly as long as he did.

Condolences.

RIP

The British offensive on the Somme was launched 100 years ago this morning, quite possibly the most appalling day in the history of warfare.

CW, WW II buff and read some Revolutionary War books too. Have attended several
CW re-enactments in VA, PA and Florida. Belong to
a CW round table in Central Florida.

Reactions: 1 person
Took these at a random roadside cemetary on my travels today, also spent a few hours at Fort Ticonderoga but brilliantly left the phone and camera in the car.

Now off to find some trout and local craft beer.

Attachments

• 20160827_081854.jpg
    20160827_081854.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160827_082246.jpg
    20160827_082246.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1
Took these at a random roadside cemetary on my travels today, also spent a few hours at Fort Ticonderoga but brilliantly left the phone and camera in the car.

Now off to find some trout and local craft beer.

Id like to take some time and head up north and visit battlegrounds/historical sites

Went to the WW2 Museum in New Orleans. Nice place but if I had any complaints, there's no tanks and it focuses almost entirely on the western front. Not much on the Eastern front. Guess that's to be expected.

They did have a German 88 and some aircraft.

Do you guys remember those MIA/POW bracelets that you could get at the memorial in Washington? I wore one all the way through high school and college. Put it away when I moved to New Orleans, but remembered the guy's name. Was teaching class one day and we were in the computer lab researching, so I decided to randomly look up my soldier and see what I could find out about him. Turns out, his remains had been found in 1996 and identified in 1999 (this was 2000 when I was looking). Interesting to know he'd been found after all those years. Fast forward to Facebook. Remembered Manuel again, found out he had a son, who I found on facebook (on Memorial Day, no less.). So now I found Robert and I was going to send him the bracelet. Only I couldn't find the bracelet.For four years it stayed missing. On January 7th, forty years minus one day to the day his disappeared, I found it. And I mailed it. On June 29th, 2015, I went to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington and found Manuel again.

(the stamped date he went missing is wrong on the bracelet, it was 1/8/73)
Bio, Lauterio, Manuel A.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 2.01.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 2.01.30 PM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Obsessed and hog88
Do you guys remember those MIA/POW bracelets that you could get at the memorial in Washington? I wore one all the way through high school and college. Put it away when I moved to New Orleans, but remembered the guy's name. Was teaching class one day and we were in the computer lab researching, so I decided to randomly look up my soldier and see what I could find out about him. Turns out, his remains had been found in 1996 and identified in 1999 (this was 2000 when I was looking). Interesting to know he'd been found after all those years. Fast forward to Facebook. Remembered Manuel again, found out he had a son, who I found on facebook (on Memorial Day, no less.). So now I found Robert and I was going to send him the bracelet. Only I couldn't find the bracelet.For four years it stayed missing. On January 7th, forty years minus one day to the day his disappeared, I found it. And I mailed it. On June 29th, 2015, I went to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington and found Manuel again.

Thanks for the post. The Vietnam Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery are emotional and awe-inspiring places.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. I was a History major and military history is my core field of interest. It was haunting and moving to be there, especially with the personal connection.

Fair skies, Airman.

Willie Rogers, Tuskegee Airman, dies at 101 in Florida | Fox News

Willie Rogers, the oldest surviving member of the original Tuskegee Airmen, has died at the age of 101.

Rogers died Friday evening, said Rev. Kenny Irby, the pastor at the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. He lived in a senior apartment complex near the church, and walked the short distance to worship every Sunday.

Rogers was drafted into the army in 1942 and was part of the 100th Air Engineer Squad. Rogers also served with the Red Tail Angels. He was wounded in action, shot in the stomach and leg by German soldiers, during a mission in Italy in January 1943.

Reactions: 2 people
Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt. Col. comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

75 years ago, 16 bombers made history.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/18/us/75th-anniversary-doolittle-raid/index.html

Richard Cole was not thinking much about the future when flying in the surprise Doolittle revenge raid on Japan 75 years ago Tuesday. He says he was scared all the time. Now, at age 101, he is the last survivor of the 80 gallant men who successfully bombed Japan and delivered a giant morale boost for the United States just months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Doolittle Raiders were beloved by a nation caught up in World War II. Cole will mark the 75th anniversary in ceremonies held at the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base In Dayton, Ohio.

Lt. Col. Cole said, "It's kind of lonely because I'm the last one." When pressed about what the 75th anniversary of the attack means to him, Cole, with a twinkle in his eye, said, "It means I'm getting to be an old man." Later, Cole said on the anniversary, "You think about the whole group."

Sad to think there's only one left of the original 80.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

VN Store

Back