Military History

You, too, can now own a 16" Shell (inert) with powder bags and cans (also inert)

16" BATTLESHIP AMMUNITION DISPLAY inert projectile : Large Bore, Inert & Cannon Ammo at GunBroker.com

pix903563494.jpg

Just the thing for your man-cave.

Hell, far...........I can go over to Paris and pick it up and save the shipping charges !!!

Reactions: 1 person
My cousin is getting commissioned in May as an Infantry Looie, he talked to me about his concern over not getting his branch choices. His first two choices were Infantry and Armor, so I told him he had nothing to worry about. Kind of upset I don't have another Cav guy in a family of Paratroopers and Marines.

So what was the worst, outside of the family stuff i assume sucks?
Do you think youd have liked it more if you were legit 11 Series basic?

I had orders for Benning. I decided to stay at Jackson. Columbia SC >>>>> Columbus GA and it's not even close.

BRM was the only time I didn't yell. And it's not that I didn't like it. I like to call it the best, worst 2 years.

The worst part was the generational gap, which is only getting worse (there was an article recently where they gave patches for the end of red phase). A bunch of entitled little f***s (some were good, usually the older kids 22+).

My cousin is getting commissioned in May as an Infantry Looie, he talked to me about his concern over not getting his branch choices. His first two choices were Infantry and Armor, so I told him he had nothing to worry about. Kind of upset I don't have another Cav guy in a family of Paratroopers and Marines.

I was in ROTC on The Hill with a guy who was Prior Service. He'd done two tours in 'Nam in the 101st (I think) and was an outstanding individual.

When the time came to fill out his "Dream Sheet" for branch assignment he listed Airborne Infantry, Mechanized Infantry and Infantry. Because you had to list at least one "Combat Arm" (Infantry, Armor, etc.) and one "Combat Support Arm" (Quartermaster, Transportation and so on) he put "Finance" at the bottom in very small print.

Care to guess which one he got?

As I recall, he told the Army to FOAD, turned down a Regular Commission, accepted a National Guard commission, and joined the 278th ACR as a Mechanized Infantry platoon commander.

I was in ROTC on The Hill with a guy who was Prior Service. He'd done two tours in 'Nam in the 101st (I think) and was an outstanding individual.

When the time came to fill out his "Dream Sheet" for branch assignment he listed Airborne Infantry, Mechanized Infantry and Infantry. Because you had to list at least one "Combat Arm" (Infantry, Armor, etc.) and one "Combat Support Arm" (Quartermaster, Transportation and so on) he put "Finance" at the bottom in very small print.

Care to guess which one he got?

As I recall, he told the Army to FOAD, turned down a Regular Commission, accepted a National Guard commission, and joined the 278th ACR as a Mechanized Infantry platoon commander.

I told them I wanted to fly in Hawaii.

Got to talk to my uncle today, LtCol, USA (Ret). Helicopter pilot, three tours Vietnam. Hopefully, I can piece this together in some coherent fashion
1st tour 1969, Placou (sp?), 117, flying OA-6's.

2nd tour (this is where my memory really starts to bleed off) iirc, DaNang flying OA-6 then crossing over to Cobras.

During his career he also flew Chinooks and Hueys. I believe he said he did his training at Ft. Rucker.

I apologize for not being exact, but, he had a lot of info and stories.

I learned for the first time, he was shot. He said he was lucky, the bullet hit him in the breast bone at such an angle that it immediately exited.

He had a couple door gunners that were shot up pretty bad.

Got to talk to my uncle today, LtCol, USA (Ret). Helicopter pilot, three tours Vietnam. Hopefully, I can piece this together in some coherent fashion

2nd tour (this is where my memory really starts to bleed off) iirc, DaNang flying OA-6 then crossing over to Cobras.

During his career he also flew Chinooks and Hueys. I believe he said he did his training at Ft. Rucker.

I learned for the first time, he was shot. He said he was lucky, the bullet hit him in the breast bone at such an angle that it immediately exited.

Here's a Loach that went down on an 11th ACR ARP mission, they were doing a damage assesment after a B-52 run and landed amongst a battalion of VC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-04-12~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-04-12~2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

OH-6. He would have done his primary training at Ft Wolters, Tx and then at either Rucker or Hunter AAF in Savannah.

"iihc" is not a familiar term to me.

OH-6. He would have done his primary training at Ft Wolters, Tx and then at either Rucker or Hunter AAF in Savannah.

"iihc" is not a familiar term to me.

His Texas drawl, army lingo, and my ignorance. Lol

"Iirc" = if I remember correctly. Sorry.

VN Store

Back