Any News on Transfers?

Heh, Eric, that doesn't make sense. So people should not post rumors, and they should not post news. So...how are we going to hear about it here, if people shouldn't do either of those things? :)

Just busting your chops. I'm all for rumor control, but really like getting news about the team here. :good!:

Once it is news then it is open for discussion and makes a thread worthwhile . These rumor threads seem to go on and on for days or weeks and turn into an argument between who is correct about said information . There seems to be some kind of competition to post something first turning a portion of this fine fan forum into The Vol National Enquirer.

Stupid. Phillips rumor (which did not come from a reputable source at all) has already been shot down. Richmond hated sitting out this year but came to understand why and embrace it as the year went on. The last thing he would want to do is transfer and sit out another year and lose a year of eligibility when he's got a starting job waiting for him next year. Unless there are personality/personal issues going on that none of us will be privy to, I would only expect some of the guys who will never play to bail. With all the hype coming for next year, even back ups want to be a part of it.

Kyle Phillips should ONLY play 1 position and that is DEFENSIVE END and not some D-Tackle position like they had him playing earlier in the year which made NO SENSE. Philips is an ELITE edge rusher w/ a super quick first step and by putting him in the middle at times, made him look AVERAGE at best. Butch and the defensive staff better get their head out of their a$$$ and put this kid at DE where he will be not good but GREAT !!!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm surprised Dillon Bates hasn't been brought up. I know he's been injured but he seems buried on the depth chart

Stupid. Phillips rumor (which did not come from a reputable source at all) has already been shot down.

I would say with the details given from 247 the rumors did come from a reputable source.

I know the cousin(iirc) did come here and laugh at the rumors but I would venture a guess as to say a large majority of us aren't tuned into the private matters of our cousins.

Don't know if Phillips is transferring or not but Callahan definitely spooked everyone by addressing it today

Way too many "media" types trying to outdo one another making a living covering 1 freakin team....they gotta make **** up to have something to sell to you guys!

Since this thread is about possible transfers and I had mentioned in another thread Jalen was considering transferring I will try to clarify again about his possible transferring.

I would appreciate someone like Vol74 or any other "respected" poster on here with inside information to back me up so I don't get ripped to shreds again. I will break the post into three segments: facts, rumors, and speculation.

I also want to make clear that late in 2015 a poster close to Jalen's family came on here stating he was close to transferring and I made a call and then stated that was not true. At that time, I was wrong and they were right. My information was about two weeks old and theirs was current. Anyways here is info regarding Jalen.

Facts--actually came from Jalen

Between late September and early December he was very upset and 90% positive he was transferring. He had built a strong relationship with Urban Meyer during the recruiting stage and was considering transferring to OSU even if it meant he would have to sit out a year. Was also considering taking off a year and then just going into the NFL. Both options were seriously on the table.

Rumors--came from his friends as hearsay from Jalen.

He was not happy with the coaching. Which coaches I do not know. It was not due to the hits he was taking. He doesn't mind getting hit. He is not a bad kid or a selfish kid but he is a kid who knows he has a future in the NFL and doesn't want to blow his knee out in college. He was upset that the run blocking was breaking down at or before the line of scrimmage and he was having to initiate contact and drive the pile to gain any yards. He was concerned that it could potentially shorten his NFL career as he was taking a lot of awkward hits. He also felt that OSU's system was more suited for him and would actually help him stay healthier and get selected higher in the draft. He is a team guy. He cares a lot about the team and wants to win. He leaves everything on the field. If he stays, and I believe he will, it is mainly because he doesn't want to let his team mates down. He knows next year is big and they need him.

Speculation--opinions from his family and friends on his future.

1) Jalen is a lot happier now and feels things are moving in the right direction. This is coming from his family.

2) Jalen is still not happy. This is coming from his friends even up to today. But most of them haven't spoken to him in about two weeks due to the bowl game etc so it is a little out dated.

I want to state again that I personally do not believe Jalen is transferring. I agree with Vol74 and think he was just tired and he is a young kid and sometimes people just talk out loud but don't actually mean it. I think this is what happened here.

Soon as these rumors came up before his mother said he isn't going anywhere is she not a good enough source..

NEOCON - If you consider yourself a friend of JH then quit posting this crap as you're making him appear to be immature and self-absorbed. Your posts make him appear like this; "I'm unhappy because while I play a team sport, some of my teammates aren't as good as I want them to be so instead of being a leader and doing everything I can to help this team get better, I'm going to transfer to what I perceive as a better team. I'm sure it will help me in the NFL as they're too stupid to evaluate how I perform in relation to the quality of my blocking and they will value that I'm not a team player and bailed on my current team".

If true, do you understand how poorly this reflects on JH? If he does indeed feel this way then please keep it quiet and we can all how he matures and comes to understand the best way to contribute to a team concept.

That's the main problem I have with the posts. Why try to get the ball rolling that Hurd is a malcontent? Some people, I'm sure, have already made their mind up on that due to these posts. The posts seem very self serving. Someone who really wants people to know he knows someone. Great. Now try being more loyal to someone who is in the public eye. I don't know Jalen, but I would bet he might appreciate that.

That's the main problem I have with the posts. Why try to get the ball rolling that Hurd is a malcontent? Some people, I'm sure, have already made their mind up on that due to these posts. The posts seem very self serving. Someone who really wants people to know he knows someone. Great. Now try being more loyal to someone who is in the public eye. I don't know Jalen, but I would bet he might appreciate that.

Honestly the posts seem so dumb idk how anyone could believe that bs. I've seen Hurd a couple of times get mad at the oline for the blocking breaking down. I feel like this is just a rumor started by seeing his frustration at times and to scare people. Dumb, dumb, dumb

Kyle Phillips should ONLY play 1 position and that is DEFENSIVE END and not some D-Tackle position like they had him playing earlier in the year which made NO SENSE. Philips is an ELITE edge rusher w/ a super quick first step and by putting him in the middle at times, made him look AVERAGE at best. Butch and the defensive staff better get their head out of their a$$$ and put this kid at DE where he will be not good but GREAT !!!

He may end up being amazing but to say he is an elite DE at this point is a little premature.

The reason they put him at DT was to get a better pass rush in obvious passing situations. This is a very common practice.

Look I know this may sound crazy and everything but this is a thread on possible transfers and I happen to have some inside information about Josh Dobbs relevant to the discussion so I'm going to go ahead and post it notwithstanding the negative consequences to the team or the opprobrium I may bring upon myself for doing so. I know everybody on Volnation wants to shoot the messenger but hear me out.

Facts--actually from Josh, overheard as he was muttering loudly to himself while riding his hoverboard around campus

Between signing day February 2013 and late December of this year Josh was furious about everything and 95% positive he was transferring. Josh had built a strong relationship with the Harvard and Princeton coaching staffs and was considering a transfer, or possibly jumping straight to astronaut school at NASA. These options were all seriously on the table.

Rumors--came from friends, acquaintances and relatives as hearsay about Josh

Josh is not happy about a lot of things. Which things I do not know, but here are some possibilities. First, Josh may be mad that CBJ burned his redshirt in 2014 and broke promises made to his mother that he could focus on academics. Josh may also be pissed that he's now the dual-threat centerpiece of a run-first spread attack despite the fact he was categorized as a "pocket passer" QB recruit in high school and told he could be the next Justin Worley. Josh may be especially angry that CMD called that lateral-pass-back-to-the-QB play against Florida, because now NFL scouts will look at him like a WR instead of as a QB. Josh may also be mad that his lineman are too young and his receivers can't stay healthy and drop too many of his passes. Josh is a nice kid, but he's primarily concerned about his future professional earnings and may want to transfer because his teammates suck. Finally, Josh may be angry that Tennessee is still recruiting QBs, and could leave school sometime soon given that JG just won the Under Armer passing challenge.

Speculation--possible outcomes on JD's future as hypothesized by Rusty the barber

1) Josh has gotten his crazy anger issues under control and will begrudgingly return to the team to lead Tennessee to a National Championship next year.

2) Josh has gone off the deep end and continues to wrestle with unspecified personal demons and irreconcilable resentments against his coaches and teammates that are now utterly beyond repair. He gone.

As fervently as I hope and pray it's number one, my connections close to Josh and the football team unfortunately tell me its likely number two. This whole post is a number two, TIFWIW.

Reactions: 20 people
Look I know this may sound crazy and everything but this is a thread on possible transfers and I happen to have some inside information about Josh Dobbs relevant to the discussion so I'm going to go ahead and post it notwithstanding the negative consequences to the team or the opprobrium I may bring upon myself for doing so. I know everybody on Volnation wants to shoot the messenger but hear me out.

Facts--actually from Josh, overheard as he was muttering loudly to himself while riding his hoverboard around campus

Between signing day February 2013 and late December of this year Josh was furious about everything and 95% positive he was transferring. Josh had built a strong relationship with the Harvard and Princeton coaching staffs and was considering a transfer, or possibly jumping straight to astronaut school at NASA. These options were all seriously on the table.

Josh is not happy about a lot of things. Which things I do not know, but here are some possibilities. First, Josh may be mad that CBJ burned his redshirt in 2014 and broke promises made to his mother that he could focus on academics. Josh may also be pissed that he's now the dual-threat centerpiece of a run-first spread attack despite the fact he was categorized as a "pocket passer" QB recruit in high school and told he could be the next Justin Worley. Josh may be especially angry that CMD called that lateral-pass-back-to-the-QB play against Florida, because now NFL scouts will look at him like a WR instead of as a QB. Josh may also be mad that his lineman are too young and his receivers can't stay healthy and drop too many of his passes. Josh is a nice kid, but he's primarily concerned about his future professional earnings and may want to transfer because his teammates suck. Finally, Josh may be angry that Tennessee is still recruiting QBs, and could leave school sometime soon given that JG just won the Under Armer passing challenge.

Speculation--possible outcomes on JD's future as hypothesized by Rusty the barber

1) Josh has gotten his crazy anger issues under control and will begrudgingly return to the team to lead Tennessee to a National Championship next year.

2) Josh has gone off the deep end and continues to wrestle with unspecified personal demons and irreconcilable resentments against his coaches and teammates that are now utterly beyond repair. He gone.

As fervently as I hope and pray it's number one, my connections close to Josh and the football team unfortunately tell me its likely number two. This whole post is a number two, TIFWIW.

Possibly the goat post on volnation. You can check my stats.

I was buying some of this until you said Josh was sold on being the next Justin Worley... I mean I just couldn't get past that sentence. I have nothing but love for the Worley bird but who in the world would buy into that? If CBJ sold Dobbs on that there's no reason we shouldn't have the #1 recruiting class every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
How long ago was that because new buzz has started since about 9:30 or so via something Callahan said on 247

The only reason I can think of is he didn't have a breakout freshman year like Barnett had. If that is the reason then that's absurd. Not everyone can be a Freshman AA and have that kind of impact. If you look at the guys that are playing in the NFL you'll see that very few of them made Freshman AA. My point is it's nice when you can make that type of instant impact. But if you don't it doesn't mean your career is over.

Honestly the posts seem so dumb idk how anyone could believe that bs. I've seen Hurd a couple of times get mad at the oline for the blocking breaking down. I feel like this is just a rumor started by seeing his frustration at times and to scare people. Dumb, dumb, dumb

I agree, but some people will believe about anything. Have you visited the internet?

NEO, most of what you wrote was true, but he was never going to OSU though.

He was frustrated with the system, lack of blocking, getting the handoff basically standing still, having to generate yards after being hit at (or behind) the line of scrimmage almost every time that he touched the ball, etc.

Linemen have gotten better/healthy, and the system has now been tweaked a bit to his strengths.

Anyone notice how easily he got yards running out of the I with a lead blocker and a head of steam? Yes, I did too.

He's not going anywhere. The only thing that he is concerned with is getting stronger, faster, better balance and getting to Tampa next year.

Reactions: 15 people
NEO, most of what you wrote was true, but he was never going to OSU though.

He was frustrated with the system, lack of blocking, getting the handoff basically standing still, having to generate yards after being hit at (or behind) the line of scrimmage almost every time that he touched the ball, etc.

Linemen have gotten better/healthy, and the system has now been tweaked a bit to his strengths.

Anyone notice how easily he got yards running out of the I with a lead blocker and a head of steam? Yes, I did too.

He's not going anywhere. The only thing that he is concerned with is getting stronger, faster, better balance and getting to Tampa next year.

What about Kyle, any insight there?

VN Store

Back