Recruiting Forum Football Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's 7 guys that will legitimately push for PT on the line this season.

Kendrick (T)
Richmond (T)
Jackson (G)
Robertson (G/C)
Crowder (C)
Thomas (C)
Kerbyson (T/G)

There's a bevy of potential lineups that could be shuffled after we see these guys in fall camp. Some of the staff is torn on Richmond but Butch is the ringleader of the camp that wants Richmond in immediately. If we have problems at center with Crowder and Thomas doesn't step up, I think we could easily see a Kendrick/Jackson/JRob/Kerbyson/Richmond lineup.
I'm just hoping DeBord plus another year plus maybe a shuffle later gets us to average play.

LWS said Richmond wasn't ready physically or schematically to take a spot. Effectively no one yet was. I want what you say to be true but not in a better than horrible scenario. We need real progress.

Look, I've been reading LWSvol/Larry's posts for over a decade now and you can pretty much take anything he says to the bank. He obviously has great connections to the program. Hubbs and co at Volquest are essentially the only other vol related entity on the Internet with a comparable batting average. If he says those are the starters as of today, then those are the starters as of today. If he says coaches have concerns, then coaches most likely have concerns.

That said, in that same decade plus, I have never him post anything positive/optimistic. Like never, ever. It's never you know Barnett and Maggitt combined for 20+ sacks last year and they look like they could really be poised to make history next year. Instead, it's always something like you know we've only averaged about 8 wins a year for the last 100 years, so don't set yourself up for disappointment by ever expecting more than that at any point the next 100 years or you know UT only has 2 "consensus" national championships the last 100 years, it's "unrealistic" to expect them to duplicate that at any point the next 100 years, etc.

He obviously knows what he's talking about and is a great addition to any board. He has certainly contributed more than I will ever be in position to. But with all due respect, he is definitely one that believes in lowering his expectations and those of others to avoid disappointment. And although there is merit in that approach, I've never seen the fun in it. In short, he's definitely not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the info he posts about the program, so TIFWIW.

Reactions: 9 people
Interesting...

SEC Mike
‏@MichaelWBratton
Florida losing depth on their defensive line as DT decides to transfer from the team via @FoxSports (DT Jaynard Bostwick)

Reactions: 2 people
South Oak Cliff product out of Dallas. We weren't a player in his original recruitment. Would be a big turnaround! :w00t:

Another training/exercise question though:

What running shoe have any of you guys had good success with? I just ordered a pair of Brooks shoes. Never used them before. Hoping it helps. I have been having pain in my left knee. I think it's tendonitis. Been resting it this week. And hoping these new shoes will help.

I've always loved Asics. Used them exclusively for 10+ years now. The Kayano is a great all around shoe. I switched to the DS trainer for a lighter shoe, but I think running in one pair too long may have caused tendinitis in my Achilles. Having to rest for a few weeks is killing me.

Brooks are great running shoes too. It's all about having the supple match your gait. I've just found one or two types that I've liked and stuck with them.

Look, I've been reading LWSvol/Larry's posts for over a decade now and you can pretty much take anything he says to the bank. He obviously has great connections to the program. Hubbs and co at Volquest are essentially the only other vol related entity on the Internet with a comparable batting average. If he says those are the starters as of today, then those are the starters as of today. If he says coaches have concerns, then coaches most likely have concerns.

That said, in that same decade plus, I have never him post anything positive/optimistic. Like never, ever. It's never you know Barnett and Maggitt combined for 20+ sacks last year and they look like they could really be poised to make history next year. Instead, it's always something like you know we've only averaged about 8 wins a year for the last 100 years, so don't set yourself up for disappointment by ever expecting more than that at any point the next 100 years or you know UT only has 2 "consensus" national championships the last 100 years, it's "unrealistic" to expect them to duplicate that at any point the next 100 years, etc.

He obviously knows what he's talking about and is a great addition to any board. He has certainly contributed more than I will ever be in position to. But with all due respect, he is definitely one that believes in lowering his expectations and those of others to avoid disappointment. And although there is merit in that approach, I've never seen the fun in it. In short, he's definitely not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the info he posts about the program, so TIFWIW.

I think he's just an old school fan who sees how competitive the SEC is now and doesn't believe that we'll ever see the success of the 90s again. May be slightly bitter over Fulmer's ousting as well. Pretty sure he was a big supporter of Phil.

That said, I agree with you--he's generally spot on with his assessments, but they tend to be on the negative side and fly under the radar because he's not attention-seeking and well...people prefer to just skim past bad news.

He said something about Missouri's coaches figuring out the Dobbs problem and Vandy's coaches replicating it to shut him down.

Granted, Mizzou had an elite Dline last year and we were without Hurd and Crowder against Vandy, but the thought that there's a clear example of how to contain Dobbs on tape is a bit worrying--especially if the OL doesn't improve significantly heading into the season.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting...

SEC Mike
‏@MichaelWBratton
Florida losing depth on their defensive line as DT decides to transfer from the team via @FoxSports (DT Jaynard Bostwick)

The Gators are continuing to fall apart.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 people
dobbs was missing several receivers and also had a right tackle walk on playing on a torn acl along with not having his normal Center. Croom also only played about 5 snaps. There were several reasons why he had to beat Vandy by himself. He still got it done though.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes some growing interest according to Callahan and a poster on 247 said this...

"Bartow is reporting that he's an NCAA qualifier. If that's so, isn't it entirely possible that somebody in D1 admits him? Wisky247 staff says 22ACT and 2.4 GPA. The GPA is low for sure, but the 22 is not low for an athlete, it doesn't seem to me.

Aaaaand, there's this:
Where will former Wisconsin signee Jordan Stevenson land?

Says tons of schools are interested, including Tennessee."

lol

I think he's just an old school fan who sees how competitive the SEC is now and doesn't believe that we'll ever see the success of the 90s again. May be slightly bitter over Fulmer's ousting as well. Pretty sure he was a big supporter of Phil.

That said, I agree with you--he's generally spot on with his assessments, but they tend to be on the negative side and fly under the radar because he's not attention-seeking and well...people prefer to just skim past bad news.

He said something about Missouri's coaches figuring out the Dobbs problem and Vandy's coaches replicating it to shut him down.

Granted, Mizzou had an elite Dline last year and we were without Hurd and Crowder against Vandy, but the thought that there's a clear example of how to contain Dobbs on tape is a bit worrying--especially if the OL doesn't improve significantly heading into the season.

I'm glad Iowa forgot to watch the tape then.

Reactions: 4 people

It's always a game of adjustments, and I'm sure our coaches have and will make some of their own.

Jordan Stevenson told Ryan Bartow the 3 sticking out the most are Oregon State ( Gary Andersen ties), Nebraska and Tennessee. Seriously doubt Oregon State gets him. Likes Nebraska alot too.

said he would hear from coaches all night. Riley, Saban, Al Golden...Likes Nebraska depth chart. Hope we can do this.

With both Joc Bruce's and Swafford's scholarship spots open, this would be like manna from Heaven. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back