Rick Barnes thread (merged) (expected to be named TN coach 3/30 4:00pm)

Would a Rick Barnes hire make you happy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We get to see what type of hire Ben howland is with him taking the miss state job. I put him in the same category as Barnes.

He is like Howland, but a better offensive coach. I would take Barnes. I have no doubt he would pull in top 10-20 classes each year here.

Said this earlier and it is worth repeating; hire Barnes and bring Summitt in as an assistant and heir to the reins of the BB program.

I have to believe Hart would be interested in Barnes. If the interest is mutual, and the money is right, it probably wouldn't take long to get done. There are much worse options out there.

I would fully support getting Rick Barnes...He could recruit well here and I think could do some really good things...His age shouldn't be a factor.

Reactions: 3 people
I've changed my tune. I think he would do well here. Plus I like his wife being a TN Alum

How is that sad? Barnes ran a good clean program and is leaving it on stable ground. Unlike our current situation.

No, they'll pony up and pay. We could have about any coach if we paid. They shop at Neiman Markus we shop at Big Lots.

No, they'll pony up and pay. We could have about any coach if we paid. They shop at Neiman Markus we shop at Big Lots.

we could offer the same to Marshall or Shaka as Texas would and they would turn us down everytime. Texas' situation is a hell of a lot better than ours at the present.

Reactions: 1 person
Given the state of our program he would be a solid hire. Good win pct, NCAA tournament mainstay. Recruiting would be biggest question.

we could offer the same to Marshall or Shaka as Texas would and they would turn us down everytime. Texas' situation is a hell of a lot better than ours at the present.

Not arguing that Texas is in a better place than we are now. We are where we are now cause we hire on the cheap. We can't even attract the Mike Whites of the world because we low balled him on the buyout.

If you're only holding out for Marshall or Smart, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Why not give yourself a break..and the rest of us.

I cannot believe people actually exist who think Tennessee is too good for Rick Barnes.
As the short bald guy on The Princess Bride would say...well, you know.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnes would be awful hire. Most underachieving coach in country. Imagine him with next year's roster. Yikes

408-106 says otherwise. 16-17 seasons in the tournament says otherwise. Yeah he hasn't made many final fours or elite eights, but he's made a final four once and 2 elite eights. That's something even Bruce Pearl didn't do. Rick Barnes would be a HR hire.

Reactions: 3 people
He managed to take a team from top 5 in the country to almost missing the tournament in a matter of 5 months.

That team was overrated and Longhorn buddies of mine even said that. He hasn't done well recently but you can't ignore his overall resume.

Barnes would be awful hire. Most underachieving coach in country. Imagine him with next year's roster. Yikes

I wouldn't say awful. You know what you're getting, but yeah he loses 13 games with his roster this year he'd probably 20 here this year. I know social media is mostly idiots, but 95% is about how laughable Barnes is, the other 5% is begging him to come to tennessee.

I'd bet we will be the only major program to call him.

I live in Austin and have watched a lot of Rick Barnes mediocre coaching the past few years. Never thought he was a good X's and O's coach despite the talent he had. He's originally from Hickory, NC and made his name at Clemson, so he probably has recruiting connections in Charlotte, South Carolina and possibly Georgia, which is important for Tennessee.

However, Steve Patterson the AD at Texas was concerned about the focus and amount of time Barnes was spending on the basketball program in recent years. He is very family oriented and was apparently spending a lot of time with his family during the season instead of focusing on the program.

Personally I don't want him. He may be able to get us to the tournament in a couple years, but he's boring, performed poorly the past 10 years and his stock is very low. Texas fans have wanted him out for awhile. I don't trust Dave Hart with this hire. His hiring record for b-ball coaches is absolutely terrible. Tennessee needs to take their time this time and pay more than the 74th best in college basketball.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back