Military History

Interesting documentary available on Military History Channel On Demand for Xfinity subscribers called Saddam and the Third Reich tracing the origins of the Bath party to WWII alliances.

My favorites are the P-38 and the ME 109.

Me262 and their not-so-known service with the newly founded Israeli Air Force (along with their Bf-109 cousins)

But my "obsession" period in military history is the ancient (Aegyptus all the way to post-Alexander Makedon/Greek City States/ Successor Kingdoms.

I have also taken a fond liking to the Eastern Front of the Second World War and the U.S. Armor Doctrine of the Island Hopping Campaign. (I'm a tank man :salute: )

Great BBC 60s era documentary series "The Great War". It is a 28 part series on youtube. It is a little grainy and in black and white, but the amount of info is awesome. Episode lengths are from 38 to 45 mins long. Best thing about it is the interviews with the Vets, and the period radio and film footage. None of the WW1 vets sre left to tell their tale now. That war for soldiers was heartbreaking. Loved the show, I have a better understanding of the suffering and brutality since watching it.

Great BBC 60s era documentary series "The Great War". It is a 28 part series on youtube. It is a little grainy and in black and white, but the amount of info is awesome. Episode lengths are from 38 to 45 mins long. Best thing about it is the interviews with the Vets, and the period radio and film footage. None of the WW1 vets sre left to tell their tale now. That war for soldiers was heartbreaking. Loved the show, I have a better understanding of the suffering and brutality since watching it.

CBS did a great series on WW1 "World War One" that you can still find on Youtube. I also like the series "The World at War" I bought the videos online and think that was the best series ever made on WW2.

My great grandfather was in the 26th 'Yankee Division' in WW1, he's buried in the old state veteran's cemetary in Hartford. Lots of other guys there from the unit, of course, and most died early (mid 50's). I think it's from the residual effects of gas, personally.

Picked up The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad today at Goodwill for $0.99. I find that's the best place to go if you're not overly picky.

What's folks favorite era? Through my mother's ancestry digging, and being within 3-4 hours of most sites, I've become a whore for the various battles of the New England Ranger outfits in the French and Indian War. The Civil war is probably my most versed subject, simply because of the huge amount of quality writing on it.

Any era that my ancestors were involved in. My gggrandfather fought in the 24th Tennessee infantry. He was captured at the Battle of Nashville.

What's folks favorite era? Through my mother's ancestry digging, and being within 3-4 hours of most sites, I've become a whore for the various battles of the New England Ranger outfits in the French and Indian War. The Civil war is probably my most versed subject, simply because of the huge amount of quality writing on it.

I recently got into the whole ancestry thing as well. My fathers side of the family settled in Massachusetts in 1626. Had a family member in every war since the French and Indian war. One was the second most decorated Soliders of WWII is in my family.

Last edited:

The Civil War and World War II.

I'm interested in about all American Military History with my main focus on the Civil War, WWII & Revolutionary War.

I had 6 or 7 ancestors that were all members of the 35th TN Infantry. Both grandpa's were in WWII one was Army and in a Engineer Unit in the European Theater (France etc..) another who was Navy that nearly died aboard ship before they left port. (was apparently severely allergic to something aboard ship) Eventually got a medical discharge. (Don't know the exact details)

Any era that my ancestors were involved in. My gggrandfather fought in the 24th Tennessee infantry. He was captured at the Battle of Nashville.

My gggrandfather was a sergeant in the 4th Tennessee Volunteer Inf. (Union). He was captured at McMinnville and paroled 10/03/63.

I know of 6 ancestors in the Civil War, all Tennesseeans, 4 Union, 2 Confederate.

When I read military history, it's most likely to be WW2.

Anyone into reenactments or been to one? Going to see Gettysburg is one my bucket list.

WWII, Civil War, Vietnam

Anyone into reenactments or been to one? Going to see Gettysburg is one my bucket list.

As far as Gettysburg be sure to check websites, as there's usually a few each year, one being much bigger. For the 135th there was one in Fairfield with pretty similar topography to the actual field with about 20,000 participants, enough to relatively accurately depict the phases of the battle they chose to do. It was really a sight to see.

I've got a friend who I met through the Blackhorse Association who was my uncle's LT when he was killed. Guy has some good stories from LRRP stuff in Vietnam, but even more interesting was his time leading a 75% black raider platoon in the Rhodesian Bush War. That's a fascinating conflict to me, between the RLI, Sealous Scouts, and so on.

You weren't allowed to serve in the Union Army? :)

My ancestors would have risen from their graves.

The big house on the farm was built in the 1830s and the only reason it wasn't burnt by the northern invaders is it was being used as a hospital.

I've got a friend who I met through the Blackhorse Association who was my uncle's LT when he was killed. Guy has some good stories from LRRP stuff in Vietnam, but even more interesting was his time leading a 75% black raider platoon in the Rhodesian Bush War. That's a fascinating conflict to me, between the RLI, Sealous Scouts, and so on.

I've read some stuff on the Bush Wars. I have a healthy respect for the men of 32 Battalion.

VN Store

Back