Tennessee known for womens basketball???

NEYLANDHOUNDAWGS

My buddy at work said just a second ago that Tennessee is percieved as a womens basketball program. I told him hes full of crap and read out some football accomplishments. Oh yea, hes a Virginia Tech fan and said at least they're starting a football tradition(identity)

What do you guys think?

He's an idiot...Yea, our Women's Basketball team is insanely good year in and year out but its not the moneymaker

In terms of championship teams, sure, women's basketball is the most successful sport on campus.

But, if that's all you are using to measure a school's athletic identity, then Southern Cal, Texas, and Florida would also be "women's basketball schools" if their women's teams were as successful as the Lady Vols.

a lot of people percieve us that way. went to a pearl jam concert in thompson and thats all eddie vetter talked about and all he knew about tennessee. too many drugs..they suck now anyways used to rock:rock:

Maybe their men's hoops team would like to come to TBA and show OUR men's team a few things. :eek:lol:

a lot of people percieve us that way. went to a pearl jam concert in thompson and thats all eddie vetter talked about and all he knew about tennessee. too many drugs..they suck now anyways used to rock:rock:

Dude, Vedder's only comment about the place was in response to the banners hanging from the rafters, when he looked up and said "It looks like women kick a$$ in this building." I tend to agree with him on that. The men's program kinda pales by comparison (and its gonna take Pearl a few more years to get a fistful of rings!). I'm sure if the concert was at Neyland he would have said something different. Jam are known for being huge NBA fans (original name of band was Mookie Blaylock after all).

Dude, Vedder's only comment about the place was in response to the banners hanging from the rafters, when he looked up and said "It looks like women kick a$$ in this building." I tend to agree with him on that. The men's program kinda pales by comparison (and its gonna take Pearl a few more years to get a fistful of rings!). I'm sure if the concert was at Neyland he would have said something different. Jam are known for being huge NBA fans (original name of band was Mookie Blaylock after all).
Vedder also metioned how boring Knoxville was and did a nice job of offending people.

I live in the land of the Hokie. And they are never short on words when it comes to the Vols. And rarely are those words positive. I have found two responses that tend to stop them in their tracks.
1) What was the score of the most recent UT/VT game?

or my personal favorite:
2) How many national championships have you guys won?

Then comes the fun of watching them squirm out of the situation. Just sit back and smile.

he mentioned all there was to do in knoxville was to stay in his hotel room playing with himself watching saturday night live. he thinks we came from apes though. doesnt break my heart hes not a vols supporter

I mean, I hate to say it but....that's kinda true. Our football program is the object of laughter nationally. Go to any neutral NCAA football forum.

Tennessee currently has both a successful women's and men's bball program. Football has history on its side but not recent history. People tend to forget when you go a decade without any major accomplishments.

I deal with folks in NYC regularly and they always mention the women's basketball team when making small talk. You have to consider that college football isn't as HUGE in some places as it is here. People who care about college football have a lot of awareness and respect for Tennessee and its tradition.

Nothing wrong about being known to have the elite women's basketball program in the country, IMO. And I don't even watch them ...

I deal with folks in NYC regularly and they always mention the women's basketball team when making small talk. You have to consider that college football isn't as HUGE in some places as it is here. People who care about college football have a lot of awareness and respect for Tennessee and its tradition.

Nothing wrong about being known to have the elite women's basketball program in the country, IMO. And I don't even watch them ...[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong at all. Shame on you for never watching. My business had me in contact with people all over the country, and I heard more comments about Lady Vols than any other UT team. This was particularly prevalent in the NE, which is no doubt due to the UT/UConn rivalry.

Nothing wrong at all. Shame on you for never watching. My business had me in contact with people all over the country, and I heard more comments about Lady Vols than any other UT team. This was particularly prevalent in the NE, which is no doubt due to the UT/UConn rivalry.

I never watch. Nothing wrong with that.

I just don't enjoy watching women's basketball. Not really ashamed of that. I get too agitated by all the bricked layups and turnovers. I'm proud of them, though ... and will probably flip it on when they get to the Final Four.

I just don't enjoy watching women's basketball. Not really ashamed of that. I get too agitated by all the bricked layups and . I'm proud of them, though ... and will probably flip it on when they get to the Final Four.

I have to agree with that, my admonation was in some jest, but I do enjoy watching them. Apparently so do others based on ticket sales, until recently (CBP), they regularly outdrew the men.

all summer when i was working in the midwest, i got a good mix of football, women's basketball, and even in Milwaukee someone spoke of the men's bball team. I wonder how Milwaukee knows about the men's basketball team??? :question:

IF you are a male that watches women's basketball over men's for anything other than to "scout" the talent, then you have problems.

Does this mean you watch the men to "scout" the talent? The only problem I have is your intolerance to an opinion different than your own.

Does this mean you watch the men to "scout" the talent? The only problem I have is your intolerance to an opinion different than your own.

no it means that if you are a man watching women's basketball thinking about anything non-sexual then you have problems.

Men's bball is much better. Girls can't even make a layup.

VN Store

Back