October 16, 1982
- Bama rolled into Neyland Stadium ranked #2 in the nation having just beaten traditional power Penn State.
- Tennessee pulled out their all orange uniforms.
- The Tide jumped out to an early lead. It took a 52-yard TD from Alan Cockrell to Willie Gault to bring the Vols to life.
- Chuck Coleman’s 34 yard touchdown run put the Vols up 14 with 7:21 to play in the game.
- Alabama wasn’t finished. Down only seven points, they had a fourth down pass into the endzone with 17 seconds remaining in the game, but it was intercepted by Mike Terry.
- The fans rushed the field and the goal posts came crashing down.
- Cockrell finished 18-29 for 192 yards and two touchdowns, while Chuck Coleman rushed for 139 yards and a touchdown. That week, UPI named Johnny Majors the Coach of the Week and Alan Cockrell the Southeast Player of the Week.