Tennessee Vols Football News
September 6, Wednesday
- I hope everyone is doing well on this fine Wednesday. Me, I’m still pretty high from the win. Lots of folks seem to be bummed about the game, however. I thought this reply to a video I linked on the VolNation twitter was especially surprising: “Seriously. NOTHING to brag about. They hype needs to stop guys. You have some serious work to do. Love the Vols but that was saaadddd,” Barbara McGreger wrote. — I don’t know about you guys, but I thought Monday’s game was exciting and I’m still thrilled that Tennessee escaped with the win. We showed a ton of resolve not to quit when things looked bleak. Sure our team has some issues, but I’ll wait until we lose before I refer to a game as sad.
- If you missed it yesterday, the Vols are No. 21 in the Coaches Poll this week and No. 25 in the AP Poll.
- I’m sure you caught the news yesterday that Jauan Jennings is expected to miss 12 weeks with a dislocated wrist. He was Tennessee’s most experienced receiver and one of the more vocal leaders on that offense. He’ll be missed and I wish him a speedy recovery. The good news? How about that Marquez Callaway. What a game he had, scoring three of Tennessee’s four touchdowns.
- Tennessee’s game Monday earned a 3.3 viewer rating according to ESPN, which was the third-best since last Labor Day.
- The Tennessee Trash Can seems to be the talk of the town. Even Paul Finebaum now has a Hot Take Trash Can on his show.
- Tennessee’s odds of winning the National Championship improved from 75:1 to 66:1. Moving on up.
- You think Trey Smith was fired up after he destroyed a Georgia Tech defender? He’s an absolute monster, plus he’s mean and nasty. In a good way. Just what we need on that offensive line. I was thrilled to see him have success in his Tennessee debut. Cole Cubelic said of Smith, “Can’t teach fight. Tre Smith has it. Stats aggressive in pass pro. Pretty good body control to be that big.”
- John Kelly, Marquez Callaway and Brett Kendrick made the ProFootball Focus Week 1 SEC Team of the Week.
- WATE had a nice interview with Josh Dobbs after the game on Monday night. Looks like he’s wearing the VFL gear Tennessee sent him last week.
- Here’s everything you need to know from Butch’s press conference this afternoon.
- Forum member DiderotsGhost wrote a nice detailed post on his takeaways from Georgia Tech. Check it out. It’s a nice read with some good discussion points. [warning: it’s long]