Coming down from Philly for the Bama game

VisitorFromPA

Hello Vol Nation:
A group of 8-10 of us are coming down for the Bama game with no connection to UT/Knoxville (will be rooting for the Vols to take down the Tide, though). I've read back thru the pinned visitor/tailgating threads, but am not sure if some of the stuff is outdated since there isn't really anything from this season or much from last year, either. We'll be getting into town early on Friday the 24th, and would love to get a local/regular visitor viewpoint on some things to do.

Here's a few questions, answers to any of them would be greatly appreciated:

• What are the must-see spots/events? I have read about the Vol Walk and Vol Navy, but how best to experience those--if possible re the Navy w/o a boat--and are there any other must-see items?
  • We're staying off of I-40 east of Knoxville, so where to park/tailgate on gameday? I've seen a lot of different suggestions, but as out-of-towners that will probably only have this one Knoxville experience, where is best? Also, we're strongly considering avoiding driving on gameday since no one wants a DUI. Any suggestions for tailgating if we do this? Is there some spot we could bring disposable coolers and just set up shop without paying for parking?
  • I've checked Yelp reviews of restaurants/bars, but which are best for a bunch of late 30/early 40somethings for both Friday and Saturday nights? How about any good BBQ joint suggestions? Craft beer spots?
  • Which bookstores/shops have the best gear/values?
  • Any other items/suggestions that I may have missed?
  • Finally, we may bring our golf clubs along with us, any course suggestions?

Thanks again in advance for any assistance/insight!

Chris

Thanks! The beer garden looks right up our alley for Friday afternoon (weather permitting). Any tailgating suggestions or should we shoot to a place like Calhoun's on the river is we're not planning to be in a parking lot?

Reactions: 1 person
Calhoun's is a good spot for out of towners. Then you can walk toward the vol navy and people will probably invite you on if you explain you just came to get the UT gameday experience.
The vol walk will be a couple hours before the game and @ a 10 minute walk from Calhouns. At tailgates, people are welcoming and when you mention why you are there, they will be hospitable. Just do everything earlier than you plan to and get in the stadium @ 30 minutes before kickoff

Calhoun's is a good spot for out of towners. Then you can walk toward the vol navy and people will probably invite you on if you explain you just came to get the UT gameday experience.
The vol walk will be a couple hours before the game and @ a 10 minute walk from Calhouns. At tailgates, people are welcoming and when you mention why you are there, they will be hospitable. Just do everything earlier than you plan to and get in the stadium @ 30 minutes before kickoff

Solid advice.

Thanks Spartacavolus and MphsBlues! Calhoun's seems like a pretty easy cab ride from where we're staying. Anxious to see what the game time will be. I'm assuming it'll be announced on Monday, right? Do you guys have any feel for day/night game? Will Calhoun's open early if it is a noon start?

My guess is that it will be a day game...but that's just a guess. As for the opening time of Calhoun's, I don't know. Sparty may know.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to check the game time when it gets published and probably call Calhoun's to check on opening if it is an early game.

Calhouns is a pretty good place, especially if you're going to be a one time visitor. Will offer pretty good food, a view of the Vol Navy, and you're close to everything else.

Vol Walk will be 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. If you want to get close enough to high five players you probably need to be there 30 minutes to an hour before it starts. Otherwise I'd suggest observing from areas around the base of The Hill(this area will be easy to distinguish as there is a small amphitheater nearby. Just don't get it confused with the larger amphitheater across from the library). You won't be all that close, but it will give you an appreciation of how many people are there, and also provides a great spot to watch the band do salute to the hill, which starts roughly 15-20 minutes after Vol Walk.

As far as buying gear, the campus bookstore and Alumni Hall both have great options. You'll be able to find decent UT gear about anywhere in town though. Alumni Hall has 2 locations, both in west Knoxville. If you go out that way, especially the one in Turkey Creek, try to go earlier on Friday so you don't spend all of Friday afternoon stuck in west Knoxville traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks Seahawk and ATC. So pumped for this trip. Any particular pluses or minuses for a night game compared to if this was scheduled as a day game? Also, is anyone familiar with driving I-81 to I-40? We'll be leaving from our area at about 10:30pm next Thursday and driving through the night. I'm just wondering what to expect as far as elevation changes and curves/twisting roadways as we get down south of I-64 (the furthest south I've been on 81). Since we'll be hitting that part of the trip in the pre-dawn hours, its the part I dread the most, esp if the highway increases in difficulty getting into the mountains. Any feed back would be terrific.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks! The beer garden looks right up our alley for Friday afternoon (weather permitting). Any tailgating suggestions or should we shoot to a place like Calhoun's on the river is we're not planning to be in a parking lot?

in the shopping center across from the beer garden, is a restrauant (Blackhorse Pub and Brewery) that has an excellent menu and their own brewed in house beer...

I would highly recommend

I lived in Carlisle, PA for a year and remember I-81 being absolutely miserable to drive, even at night, on the way down to Knoxville.

Seemed like it was just wall to wall semis the whole way. This was over 10 years ago though.

As far as day game versus night. Tailgating will be much much better since it's a night game, and the crowd should be a little more electric as well. Hopefully we get good weather and it'll be a nice chilly beautiful fall night.

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll check out the Blackhorse, thanks AR.

ATC, other than the semis (which I too have experienced and have read a bunch about), is it an easy drive or do the mountains etc make it tricky?

I don't remember there ever being anything "tricky". Your biggest issue will probably be people ridding their brakes down hills, or not accelerating before trying to go up one. Just standard "idiot driver" stuff.

I will just give you a little advice. People in Knoxville aren't as friendly as you think they will be. I have lived here all of my life. I avoid speaking to a lot of people unless I already know them. Enjoy your trip down.

First trip to knoxville also! Glad for this thread because I also wasn't sure if the stickys were outdated. Hope these recomendations are good and glad to here night games are better. See ya guys next Saturday!

Edit: were staying at a motel 6 a little in the north since everything was sold out when we planned the trip. We will of course be downtown 99% of the time but is it a decent area?

Last edited:
I'm sure we'll check out the Blackhorse, thanks AR.

ATC, other than the semis (which I too have experienced and have read a bunch about), is it an easy drive or do the mountains etc make it tricky?

I'll be in there for sure Friday night, so if I see a group of 9-10

I'll get you a round

First trip to knoxville also! Glad for this thread because I also wasn't sure if the stickys were outdated. Hope these recomendations are good and glad to here night games are better. See ya guys next Saturday!

Edit: were staying at a motel 6 a little in the north since everything was sold out when we planned the trip. We will of course be downtown 99% of the time but is it a decent area?

yes, just stay out of East Knoxville, anything Downtown, West Knoxville or around Campus is great

Great, of course we're staying east of Knoxville, so I assume that's East Knoxville even though the address says Knoxville. Haha. We may need that round of beers badly AR! Hope to run into you at Blackhorse.

What exit are you staying off of?

East Knoxville is fine. It's just not all uppity and nice like West Knoxville haha.

VN Store

Back