Oklahoma Tailgate

Ohiovol09

Welcome to UT Butch Jones
Where is everyone setting up? Where is the best location? I'll be getting into Norman Friday early evening.

Go Vols

One thing I can tell you is set up early. Dem Okies like to get their party on.

I can let you know the best place, directions and times tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone familiar enough with Norman to recommend some good bars for pregame? Thx

Mañana I'll let everyone know and post in this thread.

Gotta get back to the office and ask around.

Reactions: 3 people
Myself and 5 buddies are flying into Dallas around 9am Friday. It's about a 3 hr drive to Norman so should be arriving on campus early afternoon.

O'Connells seems to be one of the major places everyone goes. I was there last year and it was ok.

I'm flying into Dallas and driving up with 3 Sooners in a rental car...

1 VOL vs 3 Okies...fair fight if you ask me...

Reactions: 8 people
I'm flying into Dallas and driving up with 3 Sooners in a rental car...

1 VOL vs 3 Okies...fair fight if you ask me...

You're more than welcome to drop them off in Ardmore and let them hitch the rest of the way.

Be careful getting out of the airport in Dallas (I'm assuming you're flying into DFW) since the Interstates can get a bit confusing with I35E and I35W and I635...

Reactions: 1 person
Norman doesn't have an airport? :question:

I can fly free into Dallas on a specific airline that doesn't fly into OKC

Even if paying standard fares, plane tickets into OKC are usually more expensive than Dallas (sorta like Knoxville fares vs Atlanta fares). Competition usually drives down cost. Not to mention, OKC flights will usually require a layover somewhere

Last edited:
You're more than welcome to drop them off in Ardmore and let them hitch the rest of the way.

Be careful getting out of the airport in Dallas (I'm assuming you're flying into DFW) since the Interstates can get a bit confusing with I35E and I35W and I635...

Best to go 114W to 35W northbound follow that to I35E north around Denton and cruise from there...I35E through Dallas is a bear!

Best to go 114W to 35W northbound follow that to I35E north around Denton and cruise from there...I35E through Dallas is a bear!

Regardless of time of day? I'm planning on going through around 10:00am Friday or should I take the above advice?

Regardless of time of day? I'm planning on going through around 10:00am Friday or should I take the above advice?

Gone both ways...only time that going through Dallas is any quicker is if something is going on at Texas Motor Speedway...I think this weekend is clear...even if the gods are smiling and the Dallas stretch goes quick, either Lewisville or south of Denton area starts going bumper to bumper when us'ns be GETTIN HONGRY!!

Come out on the north side of DFW and take 121 (sam rayburn tollway). to 35 north. You will be looking to go north toward Grapevine/Texan trail/121. Take 121 about 3 or 4 miles and take 35 North. If you do not get the toll access on your rental car all the tollways have an access road beside the tollway that is free or you can also take 114 from the north side and back track across until you get to loop 12 North and then this funnels into 35 North.

If you come out on the south side take 183 east to Loop 12 and that funnels you into 35 North.

Coming out on the south side of DFW is a crap shoot as you are in Dallas traffic and that area can be construction areas.
BTW: 35 North (Stemmons Frwy), Loop 12 (Walton Walker), 114 (John Carpenter Frwy) and 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway).

Go out on the North side of DFW and you will be in Grapevine/Lewisville and free of Dallas Traffic.
Anyone coming in on Southwest (Love Field) only needs to take a right on Mockingbird Lane and follow it, about 3 miles) to 35 North (Stemmons Frwy). 35 North is a straight shot to Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Gone both ways...only time that going through Dallas is any quicker is if something is going on at Texas Motor Speedway...I think this weekend is clear...even if the gods are smiling and the Dallas stretch goes quick, either Lewisville or south of Denton area starts going bumper to bumper when us'ns be GETTIN HONGRY!!

You will see bumper to bumper going south toward Dallas, you will be full tilt boogie going north away from the city.

We're flying in on Friday night. Don't have any idea where to tailgate. Any ideas

If in Norman Friday night it is a college town. Bricktown, Oklahoma city, is sweet. Just Google it and you will see the amount of bars and resturants there. it is about 20 miles away up 35N in OKC.

Alright, thanks! I'll take local knowledge over google maps any day

Come out on the north side of DFW and take 121 (sam rayburn tollway). to 35 north. You will be looking to go north toward Grapevine/Texan trail/121. Take 121 about 3 or 4 miles and take 35 North. If you do not get the toll access on your rental car all the tollways have an access road beside the tollway that is free or you can also take 114 from the north side and back track across until you get to loop 12 North and then this funnels into 35 North.

If you come out on the south side take 183 east to Loop 12 and that funnels you into 35 North.

Coming out on the south side of DFW is a crap shoot as you are in Dallas traffic and that area can be construction areas.
BTW: 35 North (Stemmons Frwy), Loop 12 (Walton Walker), 114 (John Carpenter Frwy) and 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway).

Go out on the North side of DFW and you will be in Grapevine/Lewisville and free of Dallas Traffic.
Anyone coming in on Southwest (Love Field) only needs to take a right on Mockingbird Lane and follow it, about 3 miles) to 35 North (Stemmons Frwy). 35 North is a straight shot to Oklahoma.

Good stuff. Thank you

VN Store

Back