Recipes

LIvol

I think some of these will sound crazy but try the finished product and you will fall in love!

Taco Salad
1 bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese Chips
1 head of Iceberg Lettuce
Catalina Dressing Bottle
Onion
1 Packet of Taco Seasoning
1 and half pound of hamburger meat
8 oz bag of shredded cheese

Preparation:
Chop Lettuce and Onion in LARGE and I mean LARGE bowl
Crush entire bag of doritos and pour in the bag
grill up the hamburger meat and strain out the fat from the meat and then add the seasoning
pour in the shredded cheese

So to recap so far: You have a LARGE bowl and you have shredded lettuce, diced onions, crushed doritos, and you have shredded cheese all in, do not mix yet.

You pour in the taco meat with the seasoning juice over the mixture and while that starts to melt the cheese because you poured hot meat and sauce over it squirt in the entire bottle of catalina dressning and then mix it.

You will see the cheese melting and you can serve it warm but it also tastes pretty good if its cold.

Trust me I know this sounds crazy but just try the recipe I have literally had hundreds of people go gaga for this

Now lets start sharing Vol Fans!
Yo

Reactions: 3 people
Mango Chicken Pasta Salad

Basic ingredients:

1 bag pasta (angel hair works great - as do bow ties)
1-2 ripe mangoes, cubed (or in 1" strips)
1lb Mozzarella cheese, cubed (or 1" strips)
1lb (or more) chicken breast, cooked and cubed.
1 ripe tomato, cubed
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Then you have LOTS of room for play.

Cook yer chicken, cube it and set in the refrigerator.
Cook yer pasta, strain and let sit in cold water.
Slice and dice your mangoes, Mozz, and tomato.
Strain your pasta from the cold water, add to a mixing bowl.
Mix your mangoes, chicken, Mozz, and tomato together.
Add olive oil so it does not stick and salt and pepper to taste.
Top with lemon or lime.

Super simple meal, takes like 10 minutes of actual cook time - literally anyone can do it and it's super tasty. There is a lot of room for experimentation with this meal, too. You can easily add green onion, grapes, avocado, almonds/nuts, habanero (yes!), garlic etc. and it will still taste fine. I usually add tarragon, basil and parsley as a general rule with pastas. You can also make a sweet sauce to drizzle over it by heating up cream (or virgin olive oil), honey, & brown sugar and then hit it with some Srirachia to tame the sweetness.

Reactions: 2 people
Thread deserves to survive, IMHO. With Super Bowl Sunday coming up, here's one for you - If you want to make your own bbq sauce and jerk seasoning, feel free, but you might have to buy 93 ingredients...

Ingredients

Sauce:
2 cups store bought mustard-based BBQ sauce (recommended: Cattleman's Gold Sauce)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (6-ounce) can crushed pineapple
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Store bought jerk seasoning
18 chicken wings

Directions

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until heated through.

Rub jerk seasoning into chicken wings. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Brush generously with sauce and serve.

Spicy Pop Pulled Pork

Ingredients

2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 whole pork butt ( pork shoulder roast)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cans pop (I use Dr Pepper)
4 packed tablespoons brown sugar

*It should be noted that Ree Drummond, who came up w/ this recipe was cooking for 18-20 people. That said, she probably had about a 15 lb shoulder roast. An 11 ounce can of chipotles on a 7 lb roast will be excessively hot.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Start by placing the onion quarters in the bottom of a pot. Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper, and then place on top of the onions. Pour the chipotle peppers over the top, and then crack open the cans of pop and pour them over the whole thing. Add the brown sugar to the liquid and stir.

Cover the pot, put in the oven and cook for at least 6 hours, flipping the roast 2 or 3 times during the cooking process. When it's done, the pork will be dark and weird and wonderful. It'll also be fork-tender. That's when you know it's done.

Remove the meat from the pot and shred completely. Then return the meat to the pot and keep in the juice until you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Warning: You may never want to make steaks another way. Don't let the coffee grounds turn you away. They ground the dish.

Barbecued Cowboy Steaks

Bon Appétit | July 2003

by Robb Walsh

yield
Makes 4 to 8 servings
Those with Texas-size appetites will require an entire steak; for most others — even the heartiest of meat lovers — half of one of these rib steaks is probably plenty.
Ingredients

1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1 teaspoon finely ground coffee beans
4 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch-thick bone-in beef rib steaks (each weighing 12 to 16 ounces)

1 2.2-pound bag instant-light mesquite chunks
1 cup mesquite or hickory wood smoke chips, soaked in cold water at least 30 minutes

Preparation

Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle spice rub over both sides of steaks, pressing to adhere. Let steaks stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Spread entire bag of instant-light mesquite chunks over 2/3 of bottom rack and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill steaks over mesquite until brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove steaks from grill. Let mesquite chunks burn until ash is gray. Drain wood chips; scatter over mesquite. Return steaks to cooler part of grill (not over mesquite). Cover barbecue with lid; grill steaks to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Let steaks rest 5 minutes before serving.

Grandmother's Chinese Chicken Wings
*note: might want to just use one star anise for this
Recipe courtesy Andrew Zimmerman

SHOW:
The Best Thing I Ever Made
EPISODE:
Tasty Travels

" "

Total Time:
45 min
Prep:
10 min
Cook:
35 min

Yield:
4 to 6 as an appetizer

Ingredients

16 whole chicken wings, flap segments removed and saved for stock
1/3 cup sake
1/3 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar (If you like it sweeter, add more. You can check the flavor of the sauce at any time and I encourage you to do so.)
3 tablespoons mirin
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
4 large thin slices fresh ginger
2 cloves star anise
1 dried hot chile
1 cinnamon stick
Shaved green onions, for garnish
Sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions

Place a 14-inch nonstick saute pan over high heat. Add the chicken and dry-sear to lightly brown the chicken. Add the sake, soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, brown sugar, mirin, oyster sauce, ginger, star anise, dried chile and cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, about 12 minutes.

Uncover and simmer until the pan is almost dry, tossing frequently to coat the wings, 10 to 12 minutes. Skim off the fat if you like, and serve, garnishing with scallion shavings and sesame seeds. I like to emulsify the chicken fat into the sauce by turning up the heat at the last minute to boil the fat into the other liquids.

Reactions: 1 person
I just made some amazing guacamole courtesy of Alton Brown:

Ingredients

3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's an easy one that my wife did for the Super Bowl party we went to.

Cheese and Sausage Plate:

She just got a couple large pieces of kielbasa (or get Andouille or Chorizo, or whatever you want - even mix them) and cut into bite-size pieces, then browned in a skillet. After that, drain and add your favorite BBQ dry rub. Transfer to a baking sheet and broil for a few more minutes for better texture and to cook the rub into the meat.
Cube some cheddar cheese and some provolone, or any cheeses you like. Pile the sausage in the middle of a platter and build mounds of cubed cheeses on both sides. Then zap the whole dish with BBQ rub again, cheese and all.

This was the only dish at the super bowl party that was gone by halftime. If we do it again, we will double the portions. Super easy, and it was a hit.

This recipe is simple, delicious, and feeds the whole family.

Mexican Lasagna

Need:
9x13 baking dish or pan
1 package of large tortillas(I use Mission)
2 cans of refried beans(I use Old El Paso)
2 pounds of ground beef(leanness not specific, but I use lean)
2 packages of taco seasoning(I use Taco Bell)
16 oz (or 2 8oz)package of 4 Cheese Mexican shredded cheese(Highly recommend *Sargento)

Toppings:
Salsa, and sour cream of your choice.

Brown your meat(try breaking it up into smaller pieces while browning, it will spread more evenly that way), drain it, and use both packets of taco seasoning(follow taco seasoning directions).
Grease your pan, bottom and sides.
Cut the tortillas in large squares to fill the bottom of the pan, single layer only.
Spread a thin layer of the refried beans over the top of the tortillas to cover.
Sprinkle some of the cooked/seasoned ground beef as evenly as possible over the bean layer.
Sprinkle a layer of the cheese over the ground beef to cover.(you can get as cheesy as you want)
Repeat the layering: Tortillas, then refried beans, then ground beef, then cheese.
You'll end up with at least two layers, possibly three depending on your remaining ingredients. Your final layer should be cheese either way.

Cook @ 350 for 35 minutes and serve. This is to warm the dish and melt the cheese.

This is the basic recipe and you can switch it up however you like and add whatever you like. Some people might like to add jalapeno's to the dish, or even top it with some chopped green onions.

Enjoy!

VN Store

Back