Info for Gameday Visitors to Knoxville

Volgrad98

Give my all for the VOLS
To all visitors coming to Knoxville for the first time or returning, here is a quick reference for some of the things to do and where to stay. This info has been compiled from members' posts here at VolNation.

Hotels:
(There are more hotels in Knoxville and it's surrounding areas but these are a good place to start.)
Four Points Sheraton/Cumberland House - White Ave
Hilton Downtown - W. Church Ave
Hampton Inn - W. Main St
Holiday Inn @ Conv. Center - Henley St

-->More Hotels

* If you want to stay downtown, most everywhere requires two night minimum booking.
* Turkey Creek area offers shuttle service to and from the game.

Tailgaiting and Restaurants:
Fraternity row
The Old City
Calhouns down on the river
The Roaming Gnome on The Strip ($1 drinks from 9-10)
Cool beans and Hannahs
The Copper Cellar
The Sunspot (on Cumberland)
Old College Inn
Long Branch Saloon (on campus)
Ye Olde Steak House (on Chapman hwy)
The Tin Roof (or whatever the old o'charley's is going to be)
Toddy's Backdoor is a UT landmark... 3 miles west of campus on Kingston Pike(cumberland)
Half Barrel (Solid drink specials from 4 to 10 everyday. 2.50 wells, dollar off premiums, dollar off all beers, and a special 2 dollar pint of the day plus the best 25 cent wings you can imagine)

--->It's Tailgate Time In Tennessee (Tailgating Service)
--->More Eating and Drinking

Traditions to check out and general advice:
Vol Navy next to the stadium
The VolWalk a couple hours before the game
Parade of the UT Band into the stadium
Running through the "T" before kickoff

* Get out early Friday night if you want a table anywhere.
* If you plan to tailgate stake your area out early as well.You are much better off and will have more fun if you just find an established tailgate to party with.
* Check out the river area before the game!

---> 2010 Update about Vol Walk and Neyland Stadium(News Article)

You can read up more and post questions here on existing threads:
-->Thread 1
-->Thread 2
-->Thread 3

Parking/Shuttle:
-->Campus Map(pdf)
-->Downtown/Old City Map
-->City offering free parking downtown on game days(News Article)
-->UT Football Shuttle(pdf)

Seating:
-->Virtual Neyland

Ticket Questions
-->Forum-Tennessee Vols Tickets

More General Information:
-->Welcome to Game Day at Neyland Stadium
This is a link to the official UT Athletics site, lots of info here.

Hopefully this is helpful for those coming to Knoxville, enjoy your visit and remember...

GO VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
FYI -The Marriot is great as well.

To all visitors coming to Knoxville for the first time or returning, here is a quick reference to some of the things to do and where to stay. This info has been compiled from members' posts here at VolNation.

Hotels:
Four Points Sheraton/Cumberland House - White Ave
Hilton Downtown - W. Church Ave
Hampton Inn - W. Main St
Holiday Inn @ Conv. Center - Henley St
(There are more hotels in Knoxville and it's surrounding areas but these are a good place to start.)

If you want to stay downtown, most everywhere requires two night minimum booking.
Turkey Creek area offers shuttle service to and from the game.

Tailgaiting and Restaurants:
Fraternity row
The Old City
Calhouns down on the river (Check out the river area before the game.)
The Roaming Gnome on The Strip ($1 drinks from 9-10)
Cool beans and Hannahs
The Copper Cellar
The Sunspot (on Cumberland)
Old College Inn
Long Branch Saloon (on campus)
Ye Olde Steak House (on Chapman hwy)
The Tin Roof (or whatever the old o'charley's is going to be)
Toddy's Backdoor is a UT landmark... 3 miles west of campus on Kingston Pike(cumberland)
Half Barrel (Solid drink specials from 4 to 10 everyday. 2.50 wells, dollar off premiums, dollar off all beers, and a special 2 dollar pint of the day plus the best 25 cent wings you can imagine)

Traditions to check out and general advice:
Vol Navy next to the stadium
The VolWalk a couple hours before the game
Parade of the UT Band into the stadium is a can't-miss for a first-timer to Neyland
Running through the "T" before kickoff.
Get out early Friday night if you want a table anywhere. If you plan to tailgate stake your area out early as well.You are much better off and will have more fun if you just find an established tailgate to party with.

Parking:
Here's a map: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tenn/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/09fb-parking-map.pdf

You can read up more here on existing threads:
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/75462-greetings-ucla.html
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/76322-best-place-stay.html
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/76235-info-tennessee-football.html

Hopefully this is helpful to those coming into Knoxville, enjoy your visit and remember...

GO VOLS!!!

After the game is up in the air depending what time the game is. I always liked Copper Celler, Cool Beans and Hannah's on the strip but the Old City has a lot of great night life (slightly older than college crowd). But I haven't been able to make it to Kville in a year so I am sure others will have more current info.:hi:
wheres the best place to go after the game besides calhouns

Thank you so much volgrad!!!!!!! Luv ur avatar by the way...Im going to my first game september 12 vs UCLA...i was going to start a thread asking about all this

Reactions: Popcorn
I'm looking for some parking advice for the WKY game. I'm driving an old renovated bus up to Knoxville and wanted to park it in the parking lot across from where I used to live at the intersection of Agee and Clinch (across from Sam's Party Store). I was told the parking lot is on a first come basis and would be around $40/spot (probably need a couple spots). Does anyone know of this parking lot and can verify how it normally operates? If not, does anyone know of other spots for buses/rv's close to campus where you pay on game day. I am hoping to get up there Friday night and move into a spot asap.

I'm also wondering about parking..... I'm planning on riding my Motorcycle and don't know about parking locations of bikes... Please Help........

For you guys asking about parking, I added some more links under "Parking" to help answer your questions. You might have to call around if you have more specific questions. Hopefully this helps.

Most places are first come first serve. Closer to the strip you get the more of a probability it is they have been reserved. Do not park on campus!!!! all the spots are reserved and the spots that arent will only get you ticketed by a "docuhebags/ UTPD/KPD" All one in the same. Best bet is to park and walk. get there early and hang on the strip.

Parking at UT is pretty easy, but the getting out part is not the fun part. If you could wait approx. 30 to 45 minutes after the game, the traffic usually has calmed down some, if you can't wait, you'll probably spend anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes waiting in traffic. But it's worth it if they win!

Speaking of tailgating..is there an unofficial tailgating place for volnation members...?

First off I love this forum, everyday reader! Been a vol fan all of my life and now a student at WKU.

I went to several games when I was younger with my dad. This time I am going alone and bringing the girlfriend with me (who is a uk fan = nasty = mind changing experience for her first time at Neyland!). I will be driving down from Bowling Green that Saturday morning. What would be the best time to arrive (I am on Central Time)?, Parking?, what about things to do before kickoff?.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

First off I love this forum, everyday reader! Been a vol fan all of my life and now a student at WKU.

I went to several games when I was younger with my dad. This time I am going alone and bringing the girlfriend with me (who is a uk fan = nasty = mind changing experience for her first time at Neyland!). I will be driving down from Bowling Green that Saturday morning. What would be the best time to arrive (I am on Central Time)?, Parking?, what about things to do before kickoff?.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Depends, which team would you like to win?

Thanks for posting! '90 Grad here....coming up for Ohio game....staying at Hampton Downtown.....can't wait! Last game I went to in Knoxville was Ole Miss a few years back....we went to some place on the River - don't think it was Calhoun's though....anywayk, thanks again! GO VOLS!!!!!!

question about fraternity row. do you need a parking pass to be able to part in the fraternity row area?

VN Store

Back