THE Tailgating Source

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Welcome, Vol Faithful. I've been nominated to start this bad-boy, so here it is. This thread is being created to share tailgating traditions, memories, ideas, and recipes to prepare us all for what hopes to be a memorable run at the '05 Championship. So, fire up the grills, mix the drinks, break out the beanbag toss, and blow up the inflatable 20-foot Smokeys. It's time for business!

(Please, no Casey-bashing, Schaeffer-scaring, or "Fire Phil" garbage in here. There are 9 pages of threads on the VolBoard for that crap.)

I guess I'll start this one out with my favorite purchase of the '04 season. It's convenient, functional, compact, and catches a lot of eyes. Check out the "Fire & Ice" grill by Thermos.

Fire & Ice

This cat can collapse down to the size of a suitcase for storage and transportation, has wheels for pulling around campus, easily holds a case of beer or a twelve-pack with bottles of Jack and Coke AND all your food, heats up in no time, cooks really well, and collects the grease so you don't mess up your car on the way home. We did burgers, brats, spicy chicken, and potato wedges to perfection last fall. I nearly cried when i had to give it the final cleaning of the year, but WATCH OUT 2005, it's gonna get ugly.

its a two man job when the cooler is loaded with ice, drinks and food.

the grill is super easy to clean with a removable gresae trap. has a pedal to raise the grill and expose the cooler.

it's a pretty cool grill.

Here's an EASY recipe for a delicious tailgating treat.

Smokey's lil' smokies.

2-16 oz. packages Lil' Smokies cocktail weiners
1- 12 oz. jar grape jelly
1- 12 oz. bottle chili sauce

Mix all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on
low for 6-8 hours. Will thicken as it cooks. Stir before
serving. Serve hot with toothpicks.

* Mustard can be substituted for the chili sauce if you like a little "tang".
This sounds kinda gross, but they are really good.

As an added treat, use a loaf of green Gator-shaped bread to stab the toothpicks into. Repeatedly. Then, after all the sausages have been eaten, tear the head of the alligator off, stomp on it while singing Rocky Top, and throw the body off the parking garage toward the river.

Gator loaves are available at Kroger sometime in mid-September.

Gameday Special

Orange Juice
Triple Sec
Baileys
Bacardi Superior
PGA

Mix and Drink

we fry 4 pounds of gator every year with Louisiana crawfish batter for the Florida game.

smokey balls: bisquick (2 easy packs), jimmy dean sausage (mild 1 regular roll) and shredded cheese. mix all three very well and make into small balls. cook for 20mins at 375 or wait till golden brown and sizzling. very good, cheap and easy. insert tiny Ut flags, if i can find em in texas.

jalapeno dip: eqaul parts of sour cream and cream cheese, jar of jalapenos. let c. cheese and s. cream soften. do not microwave. after it softens, dice japs well. mix equal parts of c. cheese and s. cream. I usually use 24oz. of each. stir in the japs. add as many as you like. you may even add small amounts of the juice to give it more kick.

I tried grilling gator one year and it came out pretty tough. Any good recipes for the Gainesville trip this fall?

fry the crap out of it and try to find tail meat.

Louisiana batter mix from HEB (the yellow bag). people always love it and use a some creamy horseradish sauce, some striaght up horseradish, tater sauce and cocktail sauce for dipping. lemons are good too to squeeze over.

central market is a rip off. too expensive. they should have tons of that stuff in FLA. :)

and i use a fry daddy junior for all 4 to 5 pounds. just do it in small amounts and try to keep the chunks bite sized.

just about anything good to dip with. try your own: Sauce Page

man!! that was such a great game last year!! :D

If you are going to have Sarge's drink you'll need some chili to wake you back up. But, you won't need a coat. Best for tailgating in the late fall.

1-1.5 lb ground beef
1 lb sausage
2 cans chili beans (use black eye peas for a surprising alternative)
1 med. onion chopped fine
1 bell pepper chopped fine
1 Tsp oil
1 clove garlic chopped fine
1 large can stewed/chopped tomato
1/4 cup good BBq sauce
1 cup or more premium beverage. Jack, Sherry, Bourbon
1-4 TBSP light brown sugar
Salt to taste
1/4 TBSP black pepper
1TSP cayenne
1 TBSP paprika
2-3+ TBSP chili powder
2-3+ TBSP ground cumin

Brown meat, drain, set aside
saute onion, pepper, garlic in oil
add meat
add rest of ingredients in order
may want to go light on spices and bring spices up to taste as it simmers
simmer for atleast an hour
thicken with warm water/cornstarch mixture to liking

Now if you are one to tote a grill with a tall enough lid to hold upright chickens, this is a fantastic recipe. My in-law family is from South Louisiana. There are many fine dishes to hit the table here in Georgia, but this is one of my favs. Can be prepared at home and carried with you as well. (LSU/Tenn games are a riot. I'm the only UT fan in the clan).

Drunk Chicken
Get some chick racks at walmart to make grilling easier and more stable as chickens are grilled up right.

As many whole chickens as you need. We usually do 3-4 for the crowd supplemented by grilled sausage and pork chops. 20+ people.

Any good cajun style injector marinade
Cajun or Creole dry seasoning
One 12 oz. can of beer per chicken. More if you plan on drinking some as well.
Inject chicken completely. you cannot over inject. But, you can under inject.
Dust each chicken with dry spice moderately to liberally.
Open can of beer and stuff it in chicken's butt. close neck off with small onion or tater. If neck is long enough, tuck it back in hole instead. If you have the chic racks...Place beer in center holder and put chicken on rack.
place on grill neck side up.
Grill for about 2-2.5 hours on gas grill. 3+ on charcoal. If open grilling without lid, you will need a minimum of 4 hours. No turning.
When chicken is a nice dark golden crisp color, begin checking for doneness.
This chicken will be the best you have eaten, so don't stand near anyone you do not wish to slap as you taste it.

Well, I'm hungry. I like throwing some hot peppers in (seeded and halved) for a kick. The variety depends on the weather:

>60 degrees = banana/pepperocini
40-60 = cayenne
30-40 = japs
<30 = habeneros (take it easy, girlfriend. You&#39;ll be calling for a fire extinguisher from the Neyland stalls.)

Oh, and Sarge, you can save money on the Coke by substituting Gentleman Jack and going straight up. (Again, take it easy or you&#39;ll be in the stalls with trouble from the other end).

And, for those who haven&#39;t had it -- Drunk Chicken IS BY FAR the best chicken. Try Rendezvous dry rub on the outside (available in Memphis grocery stores and online at www.hogsfly.com).

On the drunk chicken, I&#39;ve been using Tony catchers butter creole injector and Tony Catcher&#39;s Creole Seasoning. A good choice if in a mixed crowd. Can go more traditional cajun if in a crowd that prefers it kicked up more. All available at regular grocery or super Wal Mart. My brother-in-law did the last ones with Spicey cajun/garlic injector. The key is to make sure you inject plenty of marinade in multiple areas of the chicken. Won&#39;t be a dry spot. For tail gaiters, inject the chickens the night before, season before and wrap before you leave. All that is left is to get there in plenty of time to grill and eat before game time. The beer steams the inside and the injector and spice rub does the magic. Plugging the neck whole probably reuces cooking time 30 min to 1 hr.

Oh.. kiddiedoc...

being from Memphis are you familiar with a sandwich shop down on Beale, if he still runs it. A college friend opened it up back in the late 80&#39;s early 90&#39;s. I went to college in Henderson at FHU. Can&#39;t remember the name of the shop, but they deliver and stuff around downtown for lunch call in as well. I&#39;m trying to think of his name. We were in the same club, but he was a senior and I was a freshman so he was more of a "I know you." His nickname was Pullstring. Long Story. I know his shop has some FHU stuff hanging around. Sad thing is my memory. I know we&#39;d know each other, but if some of the gang isn&#39;t around reminiscing, my recall ability for names is somtimes poor. Without his name or the shop, I guess this is pointless.

GVF -- Nothing is jumping out at me as a popular "Sandwich Shop" on Beale. Given, most of the times we were on Beale, we weren&#39;t eating, though&#33; Was it BBQ or a deli?

It&#39;s been a few years since my stay in Memphis, so I may just be forgetting about something. Maybe you can jog my memory. . .

Kiddiedoc - The name of the Deli still evades me. The owner was Mike Roby, and it was only open for lunch on Beale. It was kinda central on Beale as far as location. If you were only there in evenings and not usually for eating, then you would&#39;ve never been there. Don&#39;t know if he still has it.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 20, 2005 11:26 PM
6 oz Coca-Cola, 6 oz of Jack Daniels, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Is that for the first quarter, or the first half, cause I am quite sure it will not last the whole game, especially after a win&#33;

Ingredients:
1 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
1 tsp. salt
2 cups Tennessee Hickory Jack Daniel&#39;s Grilling Sauce
1 brisket of beef (about 5 lbs.)
1 tsp. dry mustard
Grilled cornbread sticks
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika

Tennessee Beef

Directions:
Heat gas grill to a medium high heat.
Brush brisket with the liquid smoke. Combine the salt and spices in a small bowl and mix well. Rub this into the brisket. Place the brisket on the grill and sear on both sides until well browned - brushing with the Tennessee Hickory Jack Daniel&#39;s Grilling Sauce while browning.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Place the brisket in a roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan and bake until the brisket is fork-tender, about 3 1/2 hours.

Remove the pan from the oven, and, using 2 forks, pull the meat apart in the pan juices, shredding it coarsely. Heat the Tennessee Hickory Jack Daniel&#39;s Grilling Sauce to a boil. Mound the shredded beef onto a platter and spoon the hot sauce over the meat.

Take to the game and serve with the grilled cornbread sticks and some additional sauce on the side.

A bump to the thread (since it&#39;s been "de-pinned" -- understandably with Football so far away).

But, also, an idea: If we can get a LOT of recipes and other ideas submitted on here before the fall, I&#39;d be willing to assemble and distribute an "Unofficial Guide to VolNation Tailgating."

Just a thought. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Here&#39;s a nice easy complement to your grilled meat. It&#39;s hard to screw up, even after a few pregame Toddy&#39;s:

SPICY GRILLED POTATO WEDGES

Bake some large potatoes, oven or microwave, the night before the game, but don&#39;t overdo it. A little on the raw side works best.

After cooling, slice lenthwise into quarters, leaving the skin on.
Drop &#39;em all into a big ziplock bag, and pour in:

1/2 cup oil (not olive oil, it&#39;ll clump in the fridge)
Onion powder
Garlic (powder or a few minced cloves)
Crushed black pepper
Salt
Cajun seasoning -- I like Tony Chachere&#39;s
More crushed cayenne (or hotter) pepper, if desired

Stir and leave the bag in the fridge overnight. Throw it into the cooler the next morning and cook those bad-boys on a low to medium heat grill about 10-15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Serve with ketchup or sour cream.

VN Store

Back