Party Guide - Friday night and Saturday Day /Night

scottishvolfan

I've been looking through countless threads looking for info on how to find the best places to party on a game weekend in Knoxville.
Most of the threads I'm reading chart back to 2009 and some of the bars etc are closed that are mentioned.

Me and a buddy are flying in from Scotland as a once in a life time trip to Knoxville to finally see our Vols play. Obviously with such time limits we want to make sure we have a basic plan of where to hit up and drink before and after the game and the night before.

Our guide is this:
We aren't really that bothered about craft beer. Cheap is good to us. Good times and good people is important to us.
We'd like authentic Americana and everything Tennessee (so although it's kind to point us in the direction of a Scottish theme pub, it's not really our aim).

We're both late 20s and enjoy the college crowd.

Any advice on where to find the best party would be great.

I've been looking through countless threads looking for info on how to find the best places to party on a game weekend in Knoxville.
Most of the threads I'm reading chart back to 2009 and some of the bars etc are closed that are mentioned.

Me and a buddy are flying in from Scotland as a once in a life time trip to Knoxville to finally see our Vols play. Obviously with such time limits we want to make sure we have a basic plan of where to hit up and drink before and after the game and the night before.

Our guide is this:
We aren't really that bothered about craft beer. Cheap is good to us. Good times and good people is important to us.
We'd like authentic Americana and everything Tennessee (so although it's kind to point us in the direction of a Scottish theme pub, it's not really our aim).

We're both late 20s and enjoy the college crowd.

Any advice on where to find the best party would be great.

There are three or four areas with multiple options within walking distance.

Near campus is the Cumberland Avenue "Strip". Cumberland Avenue between 17th and about 23rd. Wide range of student bars and restaurants. It's on the north west edge of campus.

In the middle of downtown is Market Square. Just north of Union Avenue where it intersects with Market Street. Lots of people and bars/restaurants surrounding the square. Then about a block and a half east of that intersection is Gay Street with a couple of bars/restaurants. There is a large, free (after about 6pm) parking garage just east of Gay Street called the State Street Parking Garage. Actually there are several free city owned parking garages in the area. There's a PDF map on the City of Knoxville's web site. There is also a map of the free shuttle bus trolley routes too.

About a quarter mile+ north and east of Market Square is "The Old City". Several establishments centered around the Central and Jackson Avenue intersection. Free parking there at the far east end (under the elevated highway).

Then there is Calhoun's restaurant just south and a few hundred yards east of Neyland Stadium on the river. Fairly large BBQ and beer place with full service bars (inside and out) and a full menu.

2 miles west of campus on Kingston Pike (same street as Cumberland Avenue (aka US 11-70) is the Blackhorse Pub in Western Plaza Shopping Center. It is in a stand alone building on the campus (east) side of the parking lot in the back (north east) corner.

Follow the crowds.

Way out west (10 miles or so) is Turkey Creek starting at Lovell Road (south side of I-40/75). Fairly new development of all sorts of chain-type restaurants, can't easily walk between them but they have free parking at all locations. Buffalo Wild Wings is at the far western end.

Last edited:
Market Square is your best bet. Lots of choices and Gay Street and the Ols City are nearby if you don't find what you like. There's probably a free red trolley that runs between "the Strip", "the Old City", and "Market Square".

The Scottish bar in the Old City is probably not going to resemble a bar in Scotland. Boyd's Jig and Reel... owned by local multi-millionaires the "Boyd's".

Last edited:
Calhoun's on the river is a great start before the game even though an early kick. See the vol navy there right on the deck while enjoying beers. Market square after and then the old city. Great choices. Have fun and enjoy.

If anybody directs you to Magnolia Avenue or Cherry Street, punch them in the face and walk away.

One more area in an up and coming area that's been a dump for decades is Happy Holler. Generally take Central Avenue in the Old City and go north about 6 blocks. Several hole in the wall bars... a pretty scarey area not long ago that is turning into a nice, but still kind of scruffy, area. Sandwiched just west of a direct line between the Old City and Happy Holler is the heart of where homeless/transients/vagrants live/camp/get social services/get wasted. That's centered along Broadway... they'll ask you for money and sleep and **** on the sidewalk. They wander about the party spot areas too, but Market Square especially will have plenty of law enforcement keeping it safe.

Calhoun's on the river is a great start before the game even though an early kick. See the vol navy there right on the deck while enjoying beers. Market square after and then the old city. Great choices. Have fun and enjoy.

Yes, Calhoun's and the Vol Navy is a great pre-game (or post-game) spot along with wandering around campus with the hundreds of tailgate parties going on. Tailgating is mainly due west of Neyland Stadium.

Missouri is a 3:30 kickoff. CBS again... Vern's Neyland Stadium finale finally.

Yea, he forgot to mention which game in this thread but says it's for Missouri in another one.

Thanks! Haha you know my trip better than me!
Yeah forgot to mention this is for the Missouri game but was thinking in general the bars would be the same regardless of KO time.

Calhouns sounds promising.

Thanks! Haha you know my trip better than me!
Yeah forgot to mention this is for the Missouri game but was thinking in general the bars would be the same regardless of KO time.

Calhouns sounds promising.

If it was me I'd probably go to Market Square/Old City on Friday night. Then on Saturday put on your walking shoes, get there early, and try to take in as much of the Vol Navy and tailgating around the stadium as possible. Maybe even wander over to the Strip on game day. Could hit the Strip after the game to celebrate or drown your sorrows, too. The Longbranch is a good dive bar on the Cumberland Avenue Strip.

If you get up real early on Saturday, Calhoun's would be a good place to park for $50 plus or minus (minus I think). You could check out the Vol Navy first, wander over to the stadium and the Strip, go to the game, and hit Calhoun's and the Vol Navy again after the game.

VN Store

Back