Garage tailgating specifically (G4)

Orange_Vol1321

I have been to numerous UT games and usually park around the strip and walk around enjoying food and drinks. I am taking my wife that has never experienced a Vols game in Neyland so I sprung for a G4 parking pass so we can both get the full experience but more specifically for her.
So any tailgating tips would be appreciated like, do you bring solo cups to pour your beer in? Do they allow you to have your beer can in a coozie while in the garage there and any other tips you can think of.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive never had an issue doing cans in coozies, but cups are probably going to be even safer. But depending on which game you're at, it might not be conducive to keeping your drinks cold very long. Now I have seen cops take issue with having liquor bottles on display, or in plain sight (I saw them pour out about 5 half-gallons of top shelf booze one time because a guy had it sitting out on a table. So don't do that! We tailgate at G10, and you usually can't use open flames (charcoal grills) on any floor except the top.

In my experience, good tailgating is all about overcoming the elements. That means if it's hot, bring a generator and a big fan. When it's cold, get one of those propane conduction heaters (like for a construction site, they're about $80 at lowes). It makes all the difference, and can really save the day if the weather is bad.

Reactions: 1 person
Ive never had an issue doing cans in coozies, but cups are probably going to be even safer. But depending on which game you're at, it might not be conducive to keeping your drinks cold very long. Now I have seen cops take issue with having liquor bottles on display, or in plain sight (I saw them pour out about 5 half-gallons of top shelf booze one time because a guy had it sitting out on a table. So don't do that! We tailgate at G10, and you usually can't use open flames (charcoal grills) on any floor except the top.

In my experience, good tailgating is all about overcoming the elements. That means if it's hot, bring a generator and a big fan. When it's cold, get one of those propane conduction heaters (like for a construction site, they're about $80 at lowes). It makes all the difference, and can really save the day if the weather is bad.

Thanks for the response! Is there a certain time these garages open? Lets take the Appy state game for example. What time of day can you actually pull in to the garage for a 7:30 game?

Thanks for the replys. My wife just asked where the garage tailgaters use the bathroom? I said we'll take a bucket. Lol

Anybody that regularly uses G4 to park have a suggestion on the best way in to this garage from say Merchants drive?

Also since the game is at 8pm what time would you suggest getting there? We want time to tailgate and then head to the vol walk and inside the stadium to watch warm ups and the band opening up the T.

Anybody that regularly uses G4 to park have a suggestion on the best way in to this garage from say Merchants drive?

Also since the game is at 8pm what time would you suggest getting there? We want time to tailgate and then head to the vol walk and inside the stadium to watch warm ups and the band opening up the T.

I-75 south to I-40 east and take an immediate exit to James White Parkway which becomes Neyland Drive and takes you right to that UT entrance.

I drove through campus a month ago and University Blvd was a huge mess of construction. I'd avoid driving through campus and stick to the route above.

Alternatively take I-40 west and then Alcoa Highway (129) to the Neyland Drive exit and turn left at the light and go about 2 miles to the same UT entrance. But there will be more traffic coming from West Knoxville using this route.

You need to be there 3 or 4 hours early to tailgate and then see the Vol Walk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I-75 south to I-40 east and take an immediate exit to James White Parkway which becomes Neyland Drive and takes you right to that UT entrance.

I drove through campus a month ago and University Blvd was a huge mess of construction. I'd avoid driving through campus and stick to the route above.

Alternatively take I-40 west and then Alcoa Highway (129) to the Neyland Drive exit and turn left at the light and go about 2 miles to the same UT entrance. But there will be more traffic coming from West Knoxville using this route.

You need to be there 3 or 4 hours early to tailgate and then see the Vol Walk.

Will do thanks for the help!

Will do thanks for the help!

I-75 south technically becomes the route along the western leg of I-640 which consolidates with I-40. YOU DO NOT want to take that route (signs will say Chattanooga/Nashville.

Instead when I-75 south intersects with I-640 take I-275 straight into downtown. Following I-75 south at the I-640 intersection will send you to west Knoxville. Basically if you continue due south on I-75 as you reach the I-640/75/275 junction just stay on the road you're on. The name changes from I-75 to I-275 south, but it's actually the same road. There should be interstate signage directing you to downtown Knoxville/University of Tennessee as well.

VN Store

Back