RV Parking - Campus, Coliseum, or ??

VOLMAN65

We have a group coming in for the TN/AR game this year and have chartered a tour coach/rv to make the trip. I'm trying to get an opinion on the best place to secure parking.

We want to tailgate and I'm bringing a number of fans that have never been to Neyland or the UT campus. So I'm looking for a good game day experience as well as room to hang out. I know sites on campus are probably hard to come by and I've read the Coliseum has plenty of room. But I'm looking for some advice from those that RV. Thoughts?

GBO!

I doubt that you could get an RV parked at the Coliseum. Doubt that it's tailgating friendly either. RVs park on Neyland Drive, I think at the cement company on the river - that seems to be where the biggest RV parties are located. There are also big parking areas north of downtown under the interstate ramps and in the Old City that can accommodate large vehicles.

You should check with the UT ticket office and see what they recommend.

Several smaller RVs that take less than two parking spots park on the strip, they get there very early. There's also the big lot just west of the train tracks, north of Cumberland Avenue, and east of Alcoa Highway that could easily park RVs, but I don't know that they do. It's northwest of the main campus, or northeast of the Ag Campus. The new Walmart is directly across Cumberland Avenue from that lot. I can't remember which charity gets the money, someone at the United Way might know.

Last edited:
Thanks. The coliseum actually has room for 100+ RVs according to their website. I will check out your other options as well to see what I can dig up.

Coliseum is city owned and a block from the Police Department. You may not be allowed to crack open a beer outside of the vehicle.

They must have a ramp that goes directly to the roof or might even have a surface lot.

You could call TN RV or Buddy Gregg Motorhomes in Knoxville and see what they recommend. Surely they know the primo spots.

We've taken an RV down to the coliseum before. No problems drinking, hanging out, cooking, mingling with others.... We were on the top, sunshine, it was nice.

It's not on campus and there's not a ton of foot traffic from dunks walking to the game, but I had fun hanging out there. They have shuttles to and from as well. Anyone local with a car meeting you can park in the garage, too.

We've taken an RV down to the coliseum before. No problems drinking, hanging out, cooking, mingling with others.... We were on the top, sunshine, it was nice.

It's not on campus and there's not a ton of foot traffic from dunks walking to the game, but I had fun hanging out there. They have shuttles to and from as well. Anyone local with a car meeting you can park in the garage, too.

I guess if things don't get too wild and nobody complains then the Knoxville Po-Po will look the other way. Keep in mind their HQ building is a block away. UT is a dry campus, but they look the other way with all of the on campus tailgates. Maybe KPD is cool with under control partying at their garage. But don't walk down the strip with an open beer or you might be put in jail.

We park our RV on the Coliseum parking deck & have had great times there - many large RVs and everyone is friendly! For big games, they'll take up a collection and have a live band Friday night. Vol spirit is plentiful and so are the spirits! 😎

PS - we'll be there this year when we put UGA in the dawg house!

Last edited:
Is there room to open the slide outs and awning? We want to use outdoor kitchen and have TV under awning to catch earlier games.

Season ticket holders park their RV's at the AG campus on Neyland. I heard you can buy a ticket there from the ticket office if they have some available. Looks like a fun spot if you need another choice.

Bumping this to see if anyone can tell me how much space each person gets. Just need to run slides out as well as awning.

Any new updates on RV parking? I called the Coliseum and they said it was first come, first serve. I have a 20 foot travel trailer and would like full hookups, but not necessary. Just looking for a good time to tailgate and possibly watch the game if we decide to just stay at the tailgate and not go to the game.

VN Store

Back