Tailgating Recipe Thread

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Anyone interested in sharing recipes they like to cook for tailgates or football gatherings?

I have a ton, but also like to see what others like to eat on gamedays. Here's one for Bufflo Chicken Croissants:

Buffalo Chicken Croissants

Ingredients
1 8oz package of cream cheese softened
½ cup of hot wing sauce (Frank’s or Hooters, etc.)
½ cup of ranch dressing
2 10oz cans of chicken drained
½ cup of crumbled bleu cheese
¼ cup of minced celery
1 tube of mini croissants

Separate croissants.
Place about 1 tsp of chicken dip and roll up.
Bake as directed on package.
Serve with Bleu cheese dip, ranch, and wing sauce.

Santa Few Taco Soup
2 lbs ground beef or chicken
1-15 oz can black beans
1-15 oz can Pinto beans
1-15 oz can kidney beans
2-11 oz can Mexican corn
1-14 oz can Diced tomatoes
1-10 oz can rotel
1- big jar pace picante
2- package taco seasoning
2- package ranch dressing season
2- cups water

Brown meat,mix contents in slow cooker including all liquids from cans. Cook on high until it boils,turn down to low and cook 4-6 hours the longer the better.
I have also cooked on the grill or over coals in fire pit and to me it makes it even better

Last edited:
Chips and Salsa

One bag tortilla chips
One jar salsa

Open chips, open salsa, dunk chips in salsa. Be sure your fingertips enter the salsa. Eat. Serves 4.

Reactions: 2 people
Santa Few Taco Soup
2 lbs ground beef or chicken
1-15 oz can black beans
1-15 oz can Pinto beans
1-15 oz can kidney beans
2-11 oz can Mexican corn
1-14 oz can Diced tomatoes
1-10 oz can rotel
1- big jar pace picante
2- package taco seasoning
2- package ranch dressing season
2- cups water

Brown meat,mix contents in slow cooker including all liquids from cans. Cook on high until it boils,turn down to low and cook 4-6 hours the longer the better.
I have also cooked on the grill or over coals in fire pit and to me it makes it even better

Nice! Will certainly try heating on the Big Green Egg. :rock:

Chips and Salsa

One bag tortilla chips
One jar salsa

Open chips, open salsa, dunk chips in salsa. Be sure your fingertips enter the salsa. Eat. Serves 4.

Boooooooo!

If you must.

Drain (1) 28 oz. can of tomaters. Save juice.
Finely dice 1/2 of a small onion
Finely dice 1 or 2 seeded jalops.
Add 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
Add 1/2 cup of cilantro
Combine in a blender.
Add a little cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and fresh lime juice.

Pulse in blender.

Now throw that jarred crap away!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee Pickles
1cup-white vinegar
1 t -salt
1 cup- sugar
Sliced onions

Cut cucumbers in medium slices. Fill glass jars with cucumber and onion. Boil vinegar,sugar,salt.Pour over cucumbers,let set,then refrigerate

Brats

• Kroger-brand brats. They take flavor the best.
  • Boil in the beer you'd prefer. I used to boil in Guinness, but it got a little pricey, so I now use Yuengling, but I've also gotten good results with others. Stick to darker-colored brews.
  • Also in the beer, put sliced onions. Don't chop them, it'll be too much of a pain to fish out to put on the buns.
  • When floating, gray in color, and the edges of the casing have barely started to curl, pull the brats out and switch it over to the grill.
  • On the grill, make sure to continually rotate them. You want dark marks, but you don't want them charred and turning crispy.
  • DO NOT POKE THEM. I had a guy at my tailgate one time think that he was helping by going to the grill while I wasn't watching and poking each one them with the grill fork. DON'T DO THAT. Let the juice stay in them.
  • Once dark, but not charred, all the way around, serve immediately on a big bun (not the crappy little cheap ones). Garnish with some of the boiled onions, brown mustard (if you like mustard), and sauerkraut (if you like freedom cabbage).
  • Take a big bite. It should burst in your mouth if you did it right. Yes, that's what he said.

I will be doing this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Brats

• Kroger-brand brats. They take flavor the best.
  • Boil in the beer you'd prefer. I used to boil in Guinness, but it got a little pricey, so I now use Yuengling, but I've also gotten good results with others. Stick to darker-colored brews.
  • Also in the beer, put sliced onions. Don't chop them, it'll be too much of a pain to fish out to put on the buns.
  • When floating, gray in color, and the edges of the casing have barely started to curl, pull the brats out and switch it over to the grill.
  • On the grill, make sure to continually rotate them. You want dark marks, but you don't want them charred and turning crispy.
  • DO NOT POKE THEM. I had a guy at my tailgate one time think that he was helping by going to the grill while I wasn't watching and poking each one them with the grill fork. DON'T DO THAT. Let the juice stay in them.
  • Once dark, but not charred, all the way around, serve immediately on a big bun (not the crappy little cheap ones). Garnish with some of the boiled onions, brown mustard (if you like mustard), and sauerkraut (if you like freedom cabbage).
  • Take a big bite. It should burst in your mouth if you did it right. Yes, that's what he said.

I will be doing this tomorrow.

I've used a similar method for years...never heard of anyone else doing it!...I use the cheapest swill beer possible...doesn't hurt the flavor...Soak the brats in gallon bag overnight and pour into pot on grill add more beer as it boils...right on about Kroger brand but Sams Club is just as good...I grill the brats first then place them in the beer...I do this repeatedly until fully cooked...onions, garlic cloves or both are good for the flavor...the advantage of this method is it infuses the beer and juice...have a picky family and they love this!

Every time I grill chicken at a tailgate I get asked for the recipe. So i'll post it here. I get raw chicken tenderloins but you can also use bonesless skinless chicken breasts. Marinade all night the night before and pop em on the grill.

1/4 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
2 TBSP Ketchup
1 TBSP Vinegar
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Don't get thrown off by the coffee. These steaks are delicious, as prepared below.

Barbecued Cowboy Steaks recipe

yield
Makes 4 to 8 servings
Those with Texas-size appetites will require an entire steak; for most others — even the heartiest of meat lovers — half of one of these rib steaks is probably plenty.
Ingredients

1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
1 teaspoon finely ground coffee beans
4 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch-thick bone-in beef rib steaks (each weighing 12 to 16 ounces)

1 2.2-pound bag instant-light mesquite chunks
1 cup mesquite or hickory wood smoke chips, soaked in cold water at least 30 minutes

Preparation

Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle spice rub over both sides of steaks, pressing to adhere. Let steaks stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Spread entire bag of instant-light mesquite chunks over 2/3 of bottom rack and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill steaks over mesquite until brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove steaks from grill. Let mesquite chunks burn until ash is gray. Drain wood chips; scatter over mesquite. Return steaks to cooler part of grill (not over mesquite). Cover barbecue with lid; grill steaks to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Let steaks rest 5 minutes before serving.

Reactions: 2 people
Ingredients

1 cup cheddar cheese
1 packet (1 ounce) Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
chopped onion
seasoned salt
pepper
1 pound ground beef
hamburger buns lightly toasted

Directions

Main Dish
Preheat the grill.
In a large bowl, combine all seasons and ranch mix with the beef and cheese and mix with clean hands until incorporated. Shape the meat into four ¼ pound burgers about 1-inch thick. Grill the burgers about 6 or 7 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
Serve immediately on the grilled buttered hamburger buns.

Thursday before the game: Remove the membrane from the ribs and rub the ribs with good ol' yellow mustard and your favorite rib rub (Bad Brad's Butt Rub is one of my favorites in the jar). Wrap in plastic wrap overnight. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Unwrap and place the ribs in foil pans cover with a nice dark beer (Shiner Dark is a good one). Cook the ribs for 2 hours at 250 then shut off the oven and leave for 1-2 hours. When cool - wrap in foil and they are ready to transport to your tailgate. Get your grill ready for direct or indirect cooking (about 350 degrees) - put the ribs on the grill and baste with BBQ sauce until crispy and hot - cut and serve! This allows you to spend time with your friends and not babysitting the ribs.

Hey guys! I'm fairly new to smoking meats (I'm only 19) but what would be the best way to smoke a pork/boston butt for pulled pork? I'm having a big party saturday and it would be a bummer if the pork didn't turn out good. I've smoked ribs and chicken before; just not pork butt.

I'm sure some of the experienced smokers on here will come in and help you out. There are quite a few that are apparently quite good at it. I'm 51 and have never smoked anything. One place I like to go to that has tons of recipes and a whole bunch of foodies that review the recipes is epicurious.com. I have no connection with them, but there are a lot of recipes there, as well as on hundreds of other sites for doing bbq. Good luck with the party!

VN Store

Back