Yesterday's Softball Game

DrDave

Can someone explain what we saw in Friday's softball game with KY?

Mattie giving SIX home runs is beyond belief. :thud::thud::thud::thud::thud::thud:

Reactions: 1 person
Can someone explain what we saw in Friday's softball game with KY?

Mattie giving SIX home runs is beyond belief. :thud::thud::thud::thud::thud::thud:

It appeared to me that the ump behind the plate was really squeezing Mattie and Mattie was having to groove the ball to get a strike called,ie,the same pitches on the corners were being called strikes for the Kentucky pitchers especially in the last 4 innings but balls for Mattie.

Having said that,it is a real mystery why either Arnold or Sprang was not called in to relieve particularly after the 6th homerun and Matties pitch count had reached 180,ie top of 7th inning still leading 8-6.The only explanation I can think of is that both Arnold /Sprang were just not available for some reason...maybe their arms fell off......If Arnold starts today ,then I would have to say that our managers have lost their ever loving minds by not bring her in to relieve in the 7th inning....

And how about the Ashley Morgan's excursion on the mound? Yikes!

Last edited:
It appeared to me that the ump behind the plate was really squeezing Mattie and Mattie was having to groove the ball to get a strike called,ie,the same pitches on the corners were being called strikes for the Kentucky pitchers especially in the last 4 innings but balls for Mattie.

Having said that,it is a real mystery why either Arnold or Sprang was not called in to relieve particularly after the 6th homerun and Matties pitch count had reached 180,ie top of 7th inning still leading 8-6.The only explanation I can think of is that both Arnold /Sprang were just not available for some reason...maybe their arms fell off......If Arnold starts today ,then I would have to say that our managers have lost their ever loving minds by not bring her in to relieve in the 7th inning....

It was sooooo obvious the umpire was not giving Mattie anything but right down the middle as a strike! And you could tell the UK players knew it!!!! Only one player called out on strikes without swinging. NO PITCHER leaves that many homerun pitches right down the middle of the plate!

Just pitiful umpiring and to top it off.... they change a foul ball called when it happened to a home run five minutes later? Where were these guys from ?

Someone said that Ralph stated after the game that Matty was the only one available to pitch. Crazy!! Morgan is not a pitcher and i don't blame her very much at all. Gabby has been screwed up since she has been on campus by something or someone! Lack of pitchers is the Weeklys fault pure and simple. This pattern has gone on for many years . I don't know if it is an evaluation thing or a Holly thing. I dare say we have the fastest team anywhere because that type of slapper player is basically all we have. Now that slapping is getting called so much for the front foot out of the box lessens that effectiveness. I bet we have been called out for that more that any team. They just do not recruit power hitters per say and lord forbid a RH power hitter to come on campus. The ump at home was a DI** and squeezed both teams but us much more, And then he reversed a HR call that the 3rd base ump called from down the line is unreal.

Last edited:
Sprang was available last night. She warmed up, was ready to go. Not pitching her was a choice.

Hope they can stop the skid today. It would be a shame to lose to a UK team ranked at the bottom of the SEC on Senior Day.

It was sooooo obvious the umpire was not giving Mattie anything but right down the middle as a strike! And you could tell the UK players knew it!!!! Only one player called out on strikes without swinging. NO PITCHER leaves that many homerun pitches right down the middle of the plate!

Just pitiful umpiring and to top it off.... they change a foul ball called when it happened to a home run five minutes later? Where were these guys from ?

This is exactly right. I have played,coached and watched softball for over sixty years and have never seen a worse umpire. To top it off,as someone else said,as the game went on Mattie was squeezed more and more and Kentucky's zone was widened a small amount. In the last two innings pitches to the Lady Vols that had been called balls all game suddenly became strikes. With this said,our Ladies did not adjust and absolutely stopped hitting. This should have been a win,but it's time to get past it and win the next two. Go Lady Vols!

Strange as it is I got the impression that after Sprang warmed in bullpen it was determined she could not go. If not talk abou a total no confidence vote.

Someone said that Ralph stated after the game that Matty was the only one available to pitch. Crazy!! Morgan is not a pitcher and i don't blame her very much at all. Gabby has been screwed up since she has been on campus by something or someone! Lack of pitchers is the Weeklys fault pure and simple. This pattern has gone on for many years . I don't know if it is an evaluation thing or a Holly thing. I dare say we have the fastest team anywhere because that type of slapper player is basically all we have. Now that slapping is getting called so much for the front foot out of the box lessens that effectiveness. I bet we have been called out for that more that any team. They just do not recruit power hitters per say and lord forbid a RH power hitter to come on campus. The ump at home was a DI** and squeezed both teams but us much more, And then he reversed a HR call that the 3rd base ump called from down the line is unreal.

I told y’all a long time ago. You think fans are the only ones that notice the pitching issues. The word has been out for some time on travel circuits that Tennessee is a great place to go—unless you are a pitcher.

I told y’all a long time ago. You think fans are the only ones that notice the pitching issues. The word has been out for some time on travel circuits that Tennessee is a great place to go—unless you are a pitcher.

Help is on the way! Strike out artist and hitter Ashley Rogers from Meigs Co. hopefully is the answer to the pitching woes.

Reactions: 3 people
Help is on the way! Strike out artist and hitter Ashley Rogers from Meigs Co. hopefully is the answer to the pitching woes.

When it comes to pitchers and their reputations, believe it when you see it. Help was supposed to be on the way this year too :dunno:

Reactions: 3 people

I would tell my pitcher to quit trying to please someone that can't be pleased and start pitching...And then have her do just the opposite and have her go real wide for a pitch or two, then go back to normal and see if things got a little more reasonable in the strike zone. . . It wouldn't take but a batter or two to send the message.

Strange as it is I got the impression that after Sprang warmed in bullpen it was determined she could not go. If not talk abou a total no confidence vote.

Your impression was correct. Moss and Morgan were the only pitchers that were ruled available on Friday.

I will give credit where credit is due. Caylan pitched a very good game yesterday. Our offense came through really more so than the other game we scored 8 runs. Seggern seems to be off a little and pray tell our slappers step out of the box more than i would have thought this late in the year. Holcomb did it twice in a row and i saw Mcclain do it but it was not called. Must be hard for India to get the correct technique in their head after years of doing it the old way. Seems that is going to take slappers somewhat out of the game. KY jelly also had one called on them. From all indications when most of all of us including me, for Caylan to relieve Matty the other night she was out due to medical orders. I believe that was the 2nd game recently we have had a lack of pitchers that cost us a game. I would expect Matty may start and if Caylan is not on the shelf to come in. Got to win out i think to get in the top 4 and hope TAM loses a couple.JMHO

VN Store

Back