Would like to see more of Byrd

I kid you not, I forgot Byrd was even on the team until he made that TD vs Bama. This kid is fast and athletic. Hopefully we see more of him in the slot and on screens and such.
I would like to see a lot of plays run very similar to what the touchdown play from the other day was run. It has always been my opinion that it was the coordinator that was not able to set up a room that play effectively. It is a somewhat dangerous way to do business throwing over the middle like that for the possibility of interceptions and also for the health of the receiver. But Wes Welker and the like made a complete career out of doing that kind of stuff. I would love to see it become a major part of our offense. I don't care if they run him on screens I'm not much of a fan of screen passes. Chandler does those quite well.

I would like to see a lot of plays run very similar to what the touchdown play from the other day was run. It has always been my opinion that it was the coordinator that was not able to set up a room that play effectively. It is a somewhat dangerous way to do business throwing over the middle like that for the possibility of interceptions and also for the health of the receiver. But Wes Welker and the like made a complete career out of doing that kind of stuff. I would love to see it become a major part of our offense. I don't care if they run him on screens I'm not much of a fan of screen passes. Chandler does those quite well.
Jennings like the ball over the middle. He excells on those type of possession passes and he's tough. I'm a big fan of T.Byrd myself. Was the fastest player on team awhile back but now I think it's between Tillman and L.Williams. Byrd has one more year and hopefully he can get more touches. Pruitt likes him for downfield blocking.

Carlin Fils-aime eats him alive during practice.

You know, I understand the approach that Pruitt and many coaches have about practice/play. However there are many guys who for what ever reason do not practice well, but when the lights come on, something in their system, just turns up to another level.
You can call it lazy or what ever, but there is just something inside them that puts their adrenaline in overdrive. (like some soldiers discuss after a tough engagement. I think you need to evaluate this trait on a player by player bases.

Reactions: tbones0711
As with any "I'd like to see more of" comment, gotta answer the question: who do you give the ball to LESS, so that this lad can get it MORE?

Just in the past few weeks, we've seen suggestions that Ty Chandler, Tim Jordan, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, and now Tyler Byrd get more touches. That's on top of the unending debate over which QB we should be starting.

So, who gets it less? Brandon Johnson, Madre London, Jeremy Banks and our tight ends are already near zero on catches/carries (looking at the last two games), so can't come from them.

We all love to see more of the fellas who are doing well. But when you have several fellas doing well, it's a tough call redistributing the touches.

Last edited:
As with any "I'd like to see more of" comment, gotta answer the question: who do you give the ball to LESS, so that this lad can get it MORE?

Just in the past few weeks, we've seen suggestions that Ty Chandler, Tim Jordan, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, and now Tyler Byrd get more touches. That's on top of the unending debate over which QB we should be starting.

So, who gets it less? Brandon Johnson, Madre London, Jeremy Banks and our tight ends are already near zero on catches/carries (looking at the last two games), so can't come from them.

We all love to see more of the fellas who are doing well. But when you have several fellas doing well, it's a tough call redistributing the touches.

Exactly, and Byrd is no better than our 6th best receiver if you count Ty Chandler.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I don't think you need to redistribute the touches, it should be a matter of who gets open, regardless.
Hopefully it will come in our QBs learn to go through their proper progressions. I think Byrd just has not elevated himself to the point where he is the primary receiver

You know, I understand the approach that Pruitt and many coaches have about practice/play. However there are many guys who for what ever reason do not practice well, but when the lights come on, something in their system, just turns up to another level.
You can call it lazy or what ever, but there is just something inside them that puts their adrenaline in overdrive. (like some soldiers discuss after a tough engagement. I think you need to evaluate this trait on a player by player bases.
I had the same thought moments ago. Glad you typed that in here. I get the feeling K.Chryst could be that type of player too. Byrd may be one example but there has to be other receivers on this team who could do well if given a chance. UT has to practice against itself. I just don't see any coach being able to make a full determination under those circumstances.

Is Byrd better than Palmer?

2 way different types of WRs. Hard to compare. I would still give the edge to Palmer. He’s a big play waiting to happen, he’s proven that.

Also to answer The Who should get less touches...I hate to say it but it’s obvious to me who it is. Tim Jordan. He has heart but he is not a good running back right now. Yes I know our oline is awful at run blocking. But Tim Jordan still has pretty bad vision and wants to make all these weird cuts at the wrong time.

giphy.gif

Maybe less of "Hey everybody, it's 1st down, so we are gonna run between the tackles, right into the back of the pile."

VN Store

Back