Worst College Football Coaches of All Time

I’m not a Butch fan, but calling him one of the worst coaches of all time is stupid. Same with Kiffin. This is click bait

Frankly, and I know I'll get flamed for this, I would not include Kiffhole or Jones in that group. With Kiffhole, it's hard to gauge on his one year here. I never liked him, and still don't, but I don't think we have enough evidence to convict him to this list. As for Butch, he inherited a terrible mess from Dools. He got 2 successive 9 win seasons before flaming out in his 5th year. In my view, he started to move the needle upwards from where he started.
Sorry, but they would have continued to only win 6 or 7 games had Dobbs not been there being an unreal athlete making up for a poor OL and decision making of how to utilize talent. His defense was avg at best and no one could stay healthy. Shocking that Pruitt takes over and most everyone was ok?
Jones with Dobbs: 22- 15
Without Dobbs: 12- 12

They had me at: slideshow. Didn’t read, and don’t care for Kiffin but I could think of a lot of coaches worse than him. Many on vn and at Auburn would list him towards the top of current coaches. He’s polarizing, for sure.

I’m sure no one wants to hear this but these types of “articles?” are so simple to write and requires zero investigating. Most “journalists” have these types of ridiculous pieces in their war chest just waiting for a lull to use them. It’s totally shameful how far we have fallen journalistically. And we lap it up discussing it as though it has merit. Utterly pathetic! JMO of course.

I think Dooley is the only one of ours who is truly one of the worst major college head coaches of all time. 17-20 at Louisiana Tech speaks for itself. He never should have been hired. Proceeds to go 15-21 at UT with a 4-19 SEC record. Just yuck.

I've been saying for years that we'd have been better off just keeping Kippy Brown as an interim for a year than taking the route we did.

Stupid list is stupid. Its really a "List of Every Coach Who's Been Fired in the Last 50 Years" list. Many of those listed are victims of specific circumstances.
Yeah, no kidding. The worst coaches of all time are people who were given a lot to start with and pissed it away.

And we get a big assist on Walt Harris. He was a long time OC under Majors at UT. Prolly where he learned to punt on 3rd down....
And we get a big assist on Walt Harris. He was a long time OC under Majors at UT. Prolly where he learned to punt on 3rd down....
YEAH! I couldn't help but notice WALT. I remember him well at UT. Actually he was a Pretty good OC.

Reactions: ksgovols
I didn't click thru it all--but the worst of all time has to be Gerry Faust at Notre Dame....no one I've ever seen was as out-matched as him...

Doolittle has to be in the top 5....

And honestly--CBJ's 2015 season was just a BRAIN away from being 10-2...but he should've fired himself instead of Jancek. Of course, hindsight is 20-20.

Kiffin does know the game--and he can coach... he took an OL that was worse than this one (2 walk-on starters) and practiced them hard and made them mean enough to go 6-6...He would've finished 7-5 if he would've called a bootleg on the goal line against UCLA that year...

Butch's biggest problem was he was a powder puff coach not a football coach. In the first three years he had enough hold overs that had been taught to hit somebody but by year 4 it was all about finesse. Why else would you line your Defense 3 yards off the ball. If it wasn't for a sport center highlight he wouldn't coach you to hit anybody....just get in their way or hand fight.....why did McKenzie never bull rush? That worked at his earlier stops because he always had the "weaker" talent, but here it resulted in close games (Ohio, Chattanooga, APP State) where we were more physically talented but prevented from using that talent and strength.
The good news is that after 6 games, I'm beginning to see guys who are getting nasty and using everything they've go to beat the man across from them.

How in the world is Kiffin on that list. Like him or not, the guy is an outstanding football coach, period. He did some really good things his 1 year here, he “failed” at USC going 28-15 in 3.5 years there, was one of the best if not the very best OC in the country while at Bama, and he had an historic first year at lowly FAU last season. I don’t care what you think of him personally, but he doesn’t belong on any list at any time for any reason with Butch Jones and Derek Dooley.
Agreed.

I’m not a Butch fan, but calling him one of the worst coaches of all time is stupid. Same with Kiffin. This is click bait

100%. Stupid article. Worst site! Anyone that thinks Kiffin and Butch are that bad don't know what they're talking about.

Reactions: Evol
OP doesn't know much about what it takes to be the worst college coach. I know...how about the worst record....

Watson Brown (Mack's brother, and one time Vandy HC), finished his career at Tennessee Tech. Retired 3 years ago as the all-time losingest division 1 HC. He reached the 200 loss milestone.

I bet Gerry FAUST @ ND was Top of the list! He was frigging hilarious.
I don't think anything shows the overrated-ness of Notre Dame better than Gerry Faust's tenure.

Faust inherits a good team in 1981, preseason #4 in the country, but finishes 5-6 and unranked. In 1982, they are preseason #20 and rise as high as #9 after a 4-0 start, but finish 6-4-1 and unranked again. They begin the 1983 season ranked #5 (how?) but finish 7-5 and unranked again. They begin the 1984 season ranked #8 (again, how?) and promptly lose the season opener to a mediocre Purdue team, ultimately finishing 7-5 and unranked again. In 1985, they inexplicably are preseason #13 and finish 5-6, you guessed it, unranked.

And, if you really want to be factual, and do a simple search of worst head football coaches, you will stumble across a wiki page that has an exhaustive list of coaches that exceeded 100 losses in their career. Mind you, not all these are "bad" coaches. but, you can copy and paste the list into excel and sort and do all kinds of things. If you sort by winning percentage, and even by losses, you will find that no one in that article is even in the top 20 worst coaches by winning percentage. They are not all FBS. The list covers all football levels and divisions.

If you sort by total losses, still none of these coaches from the article make the list.

maybe a couple that posters have mentioned, but not the article itself.

List articles are not to be taken seriously, no matter where they appear, but clickbait is especially so.

VN Store

Back