With Butch being back on the sideline...

Do you get an anticipation woody every time you see one of these threads?

Lol.

1. We are paying him millions of dollars, currently.

2. The former head football coach of the University of Tennessee is literally an intern at an arch rival, currently.

Butch Jones embarrassment is also our embarrassment, until he decides to pick his own dignity over a meaningless job and a whopping paycheck.

It would be like if Apple hired HTC's CEO and made him a janitor. It's a bad look.
Is Butch to blame? Or the UT admin?

Reactions: TrentVol
Leave Butch alone...Show some class...He did the best he could...He just wasn't cut out to be the coach at Tennessee.

Its amazing how so few notice What Butch is doing lol. I read the buyout details and Butch is absolutely doing bare minimum to drain all 8 million+ from UT...

Trent, it's not like that hasn't come up dozens of times in several different threads over the past ten months.

You're new, so you don't really know what the crowd here have noticed. Only what they've mentioned since you joined last month.

Trent, it's not like that hasn't come up dozens of times in several different threads over the past ten months.

You're new, so you don't really know what the crowd here have noticed. Only what they've mentioned since you joined last month.
Well my bad, I was a lurker on here for a while before registering my account, and never saw it brought up.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Well my bad, I was a lurker on here for a while before registering my account, and never saw it brought up.

No biggie, but yah it was a big topic of conversation right after Butch took the intern job, and remained one of the topics brought up several times in various threads over the following months.

You're right, Butch is absolutely tweaking UT's nose financially. Petty of him. But not news to VolNation.

I don’t really understand why we would boo him. Yeah he sucked it up, but we stayed clean from the NCAA, and didn’t really bolt on us in the middle of the night. Just didn’t have what it took to coach it this level. Not really boo worthy.

Plus, I think we’d look kinda dumb booing a players assistant.

Man Secretary... please respect the position.

You blame Butch for accepting the contract tennessee offered him? Lol, what do you expect him to do, demand less money? Lol
Dont blame him for taking 8 Million Buyout. Glad he is gone . But when i see him say ROLL TIDE after leading us to the worst season UT has ever had, it makes me wanna puke lol

You blame Butch for accepting the contract tennessee offered him? Lol, what do you expect him to do, demand less money? Lol

Nope. I blame him for the following:

1. Bringing a Pee Wee football staff with him into the SEC. Almost all of his hires were terrible.

2. Firing Sam Pittman and Dave Lawson.

3. Truly driving this program into a ditch.

Kudos for Butch getting his money. He is a great con artist who tricked the UT AD into making him a multi millionaire.

No biggie, but yah it was a big topic of conversation right after Butch took the intern job, and remained one of the topics brought up several times in various threads over the following months.

You're right, Butch is absolutely tweaking UT's nose financially. Petty of him. But not news to VolNation.
Butch is Unbelievably dense. The reports of his verbal abuse and petty stuff its alleged he did to players Were something i distrusted for a while. But i see his goofiness now at Bama. And the reports are believable lol

Dont blame him for taking 8 Million Buyout. Glad he is gone . But when i see him say ROLL TIDE after leading us to the worst season UT has ever had, it makes me wanna puke lol
Thats fine, we have been vols fans our whole life, he was here for a job.

Nope. I blame him for the following:

1. Bringing a Pee Wee football staff with him into the SEC. Almost all of his hires were terrible.

2. Firing Sam Pittman and Dave Lawson.

3. Truly driving this program into a ditch.

Kudos for Butch getting his money. He is a great con artist who tricked the UT AD into making him a multi millionaire.
And giving us winning seasons 3 of the past 5 years too, let's not forget that. And getting Josh Dobbs and Kamara to Tennessee...it wasnt all bad. It you want to make it out to be to make the present seen better, thats fine, but it wasnt.

I doubt Butch will be on sideline. He’s one of many aides in that program doing stuff somewhere. He might not even make the trip.
Butch did what most of us would do when he took the UT job. If you are offered to coach the Vols and had any experience, you would take it. Hell yeah!!!!!! I don't blame Butch. He was in over his head, but he gave it his best shot. I blame the lame brained administration for failures the past few years. I have no animosity toward Butch at all. We had some exciting games, won 3 bowls--then crashed and burned--just like Fulmer did. I am glad he is gone but have no ill feeling toward him.

I agree with your assessment, although I don't agree that he will coach again as a "head man." Certainly not at any school of consequence.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you on this one. I don't know how desirable Jones is. He doesn't seem to have the same membership to the coaches club as a lot of guys. I imagine his opportunities for this year were somewhat limited. That said, he obviously had the luxury of being selective, and I can't blame him. If I was getting paid to not work, I certainly would be choosy about the next job I took. I would make sure it was a place that I was pretty confident that I had every opportunity to be successful. Further, if I aspired to be a successful head football coach, I would be pretty interested in looking into how things work at Alabama under Saban. I am guessing Jones thinks he might learn something.

I never cease to be amazed by the positions some take. Jones was offered the UT job, and like just about anybody offered a huge opportunity, he took it. He did not fail because he was unwilling. He failed because he was incapable. There's no doubt in my mind that he made every effort to be successful. It just wasn't good enough.
Nothing against the guy and what you say is true. What rubs people the wrong way ( or at least rubs me the wrong way is exactly what you say “ he is paid so handsomely to suck at his job” hey it’s not his fault for taking the job, who wouldn’t... but damn I sure would like to be horrible at my job and get paid millions to go away... I’ll say it, I’m downright envious... I have to do my job at a high level everyday or I’d be out of one with no payout whatsoever:)

And giving us winning seasons 3 of the past 5 years too, let's not forget that. And getting Josh Dobbs and Kamara to Tennessee...it wasnt all bad. It you want to make it out to be to make the present seen better, thats fine, but it wasnt.

Yeah there were a few bright spots but it was about 95% bad.

Wouldn’t butch get paid the same total amount if he actually tried to get a job he was qualified for? To me it seems he gets paid either way but instead of trying to have some integrity he is purposefully going to make UT pay every red cent. Why? If he is angry at UT that’s a butch problem because that would mean the man thinks he was fired unjustly which he certainly was not... he didn’t think he did enough damage to the program so he’s going to financially hurt it even more even though he would get his money regardless whether from UT or someone else? Don’t get me wrong UT admin is to blame for the contract and I do not begrudge him one bit for taking it... but what he is doing is to stick it to UT at no real benefit to him.

Wouldn’t butch get paid the same total amount if he actually tried to get a job he was qualified for? To me it seems he gets paid either way but instead of trying to have some integrity he is purposefully going to make UT pay every red cent. Why? If he is angry at UT that’s a butch problem because that would mean the man thinks he was fired unjustly which he certainly was not... he didn’t think he did enough damage to the program so he’s going to financially hurt it even more even though he would get his money regardless whether from UT or someone else? Don’t get me wrong UT admin is to blame for the contract and I do not begrudge him one bit for taking it... but what he is doing is to stick it to UT at no real benefit to him.
You look at it only from fan perspective. Butch has 3 straight winning seasons. And was fired after one bad season. Fair or not, he doesn't see it that way nor does he have to. Why accept a job when your stock is low? Why not accept a job under a great coach and take some time to learn how things are ran? Head coaching jobs are crazy stressful. Why not take a enjoy the money promised to you cause the idiots that run UT wanted to dish it out? I would and you would too. There are only two types of people in this situation, those that would take the money and those that lie about it and say they wouldnt. Besides, what difference does it really make? Coach pruitt is getting paud, got the assistants he wanted, ticket prices are not changing.

Reactions: DonDiego
Since I won't say what I really want to say about butch, I'll keep it PG. I hope Smokey takes a poop on the alabama sideline, butch steps in it, Saban smells it, kicks him off the sideline and on his way off, he slips again on the poop and skins his knee.

SMH,

We have some of the worst fans and to blame a man that gave everything he had to this University but it wasn't good enough which I totally agree and he at times was well over his head.. but to blame the man for taking money from UT and not taking a HC'ing job after his firing is unwarranted. I only recall 1 university being interested in hiring CBJ. Milking the University? Grow up! Booing the man is petty, and only makes the person doing it small and simple minded. CBJ let it slip away but for all the bad there were as many good things the man did here. He was no media darling but give the man a break.

Reactions: DonDiego
Since I won't say what I really want to say about butch, I'll keep it PG. I hope Smokey takes a poop on the alabama sideline, butch steps in it, Saban smells it, kicks him off the sideline and on his way off, he slips again on the poop and skins his knee.

Classless post!

Just leave him alone. He was a bad coach but we’ve hired our fair share of those. I’d rather just look forward to what Pruitt and the future brings.

VN Store

Back