Wild Flowers, Berries, and other plants.

Doesnt look like periwinkle from here. Usually lighter in color, quite honestly hard to tell from the pic.
I posted that before the new site. Now, the picture is a thumbnail and I can't make heads or tails out of it. Lol

Nope. Polk sallet.

Stay away from the berries, stems.

My mother lived in Nashville during the great depression, and mostly lived on what they grew in their garden. It was a welcomed weed. I knew people who ate it in the 50-60s. Many people enjoy eating the food the grew up eating.

A Mess of Poke | Southern Spaces
did you mean to reply to me? cause the pic i saw earlier of a purple hydrangea was as hydrangea as it gets.

Polk sallet was what I always called it when I loaded up on the little ham cubes at the sallet bar.

Huh, polk sallet or polk weed is what it is commonly called in the southern US. "Salad" is a bastard term, although salad is how most people pronounce it because that is what we do in the south. Maybe we can blame it on Tony Joe White?

I have a brown thumb. my neighbor gave me some PW as ground cover (we have no landscaping), it took right off. Good stuff.
PW (vinca minor?) is considered an invasive plant in TN, but it is nothing compared to kudzu, and I have grown it on steep banks. nonetheless, many people in the US would like to see it eradicated. If you drive through the hills of east TN, and you look for it you will see it often.

Reactions: Scissor Hands
Huh, polk sallet or polk weed is what it is commonly called in the southern US. "Salad" is a bastard term, although salad is how most people pronounce it because that is what we do in the south. Maybe we can blame it on Tony Joe White?

I was just making a silly joke based on “polk sallet“ sounding like a Deep South pronunciation of “pork salad”.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
PW (vinca minor?) is considered an invasive plant in TN, but it is nothing compared to kudzu, and I have grown it on steep banks. nonetheless, many people in the US would like to see it eradicated. If you drive through the hills of east TN, and you look for it you will see it often.

what non native species isnt invasive, technically? just saying. thanks for the history lesson.

I was just making a silly joke based on “polk sallet“ sounding like a Deep South pronunciation of “pork salad”.
Oops, Like a lot of things that one flew right past me.😳Well I'd guess there are many people alive today who remember "Polk Salad Annie", but have no idea what the plant is. No wonder it is called salad by almost everyone. If you get some in your yard you will probably hate it. What a pain to get rid of.

Nope. Polk sallet.

Stay away from the berries, stems.

My mother lived in Nashville during the great depression, and mostly lived on what they grew in their garden. It was a welcomed weed. I knew people who ate it in the 50-60s. Many people enjoy eating the food the grew up eating.

A Mess of Poke | Southern Spaces
You're looking at wrong pic... hydrangea was posted before that.

VN Store

Back