Why Butch Jones had nothing and EVERYTHING to do w/the loss to Bama

KBVol

VolQuest.com - Pruitt: Vols don't have enough guys, need more to 'do it the right way'

Snippet....

“Butch Jones had nothing and everything to do with Tennessee’s 58-21 loss to No. 1 Alabama.
After the Tide’s 12th-straight win in the series on Saturday, the Vols’ former head coach received a Gatorade bath and gleefully jumped into every photo he could enjoying a victory cigar.
The lack of self-awareness is comical, but that’s not the point here. The lasting skid-marks from Jones’ tenure though?
Those stains are as evident as the thick smoke waffling inside Neyland Stadium, or the frustration seeping out of Jeremy Pruitt’s exasperated voice during and after the game.
Once again Saturday, the Tide looked unbeatable, and the talent disparity between the two teams was exactly why the main who took over for Jones was talking about recruiting at halftime and postgame Saturday. After 10 minutes, Alabama was up 28-0 and went on to score the most points any opponent has ever registered in Neyland Stadium.”

“I promise you, I will recruit 25 other guys that will play the right way so we don’t have to play in another game like this,” he told CBS at halftime.

I hope CJP is motivating the players he has. I would think after a completely demoralizing beatdown like we just had, if he throws them completely under the bus, they might just mentally quit. We have a chance to finish strong, but there comes a point when motivational speeches become belittling. Everybody has a breaking point, and if your leader (coach) beats you down as well, then many will just say **** it and go thru the motions. You think the sands were devoid of UT fans on Saturday? Wait until UK or Vandy hit us for 50. PF might be starting another search.

I hope CJP is motivating the players he has. I would think after a completely demoralizing beatdown like we just had, if he throws them completely under the bus, they might just mentally quit. We have a chance to finish strong, but there comes a point when motivational speeches become belittling. Everybody has a breaking point, and if your leader (coach) beats you down as well, then many will just say **** it and go thru the motions. You think the sands were devoid of UT fans on Saturday? Wait until UK or Vandy hit us for 50. PF might be starting another search.

I wonder the same thing and time will tell but consider this. I kept wavering on weather cjp lost this team or ever had the team. Cjp has pretty much coached nothing but great athletes mostly motivated. Not the case at UT. When bj first took over tn looked excited to play but probably for all the wrong reasons.

Cjp dosen't have these guys jumpin around all crazy but they are not giving up. Probably because he is doing this the "right way." I like that cjp has spent a lifetime around football. I am more confident he knows football players better than a trumpet player. Time will tell starting with scjr.

If you think PF might be starting another search because of a possible bad loss to Kentucky or Vandy then you’re sadly mistaken. CJP is here at least the next 4 years regardless of what happens this year. And he isn’t belittling anyone, he’s being honest like he said he would be when he first got here. Players appreciate honesty way more than somebody sugar coating things and patting them on the back when things don’t go well. If there are players who are offended by what he said yesterday then their already half way out the door anyhow so it doesn’t matter.

If you think PF might be starting another search because of a possible bad loss to Kentucky or Vandy then you’re sadly mistaken. CJP is here at least the next 4 years regardless of what happens this year. And he isn’t belittling anyone, he’s being honest like he said he would be when he first got here. Players appreciate honesty way more than somebody sugar coating things and patting them on the back when things don’t go well. If there are players who are offended by what he said yesterday then their already half way out the door anyhow so it doesn’t matter.
As a spectator, you call it honesty.. Some of these players might not think so much about it when they are working their asses off and their coach publicly says they suck. And I GU-AR-AN-TEE you that if Vandy rolls us by 50 there will be calls for his head. guarantee it.

Or maybe we can still blame it all on Butch.

Reactions: dlravol2
And yet, just look back at this board a year ago, and the year before at all of the idiot fans who couldn't help but defend him. 'He needs more time' He's recruiting so well', 'We need stability' etc. The same lesson could be learned from Dooley. To the emotional fans who feel it their duty to support 'their coach' no matter the results--- stop emotionally marrying yourself to the coach.

Butch is, was, and will be a joke! That was clear after his 3rd year to people with brains. Dooley was a joke! That was clear after his 2nd year.

Imagine how much further ahead we'd be had he been canned after his 3rd year. Imagine how much further ahead we'd be had Dooley been canned after his second year.

Seeing this clown celebrate makes me sick!!!

And yet, just look back at this board a year ago, and the year before at all of the idiot fans who couldn't help but defend him. 'He needs more time' He's recruiting so well', 'We need stability' etc. The same lesson could be learned from Dooley. To the emotional fans who feel it their duty to support 'their coach' no matter the results--- stop emotionally marrying yourself to the coach.

Butch is, was, and will be a joke! That was clear after his 3rd year to people with brains. Dooley was a joke! That was clear after his 2nd year.

Imagine how much further ahead we'd be had he been canned after his 3rd year. Imagine how much further ahead we'd be had Dooley been canned after his second year.

Seeing this clown celebrate makes me sick!!!
It will be interesting to see how this board reacts if Mizzou rolls us.

As a spectator, you call it honesty.. Some of these players might not think so much about it when they are working their asses off and their coach publicly says they suck. And I GU-AR-AN-TEE you that if Vandy rolls us by 50 there will be calls for his head. guarantee it.

We saw that with Dooley and Sunseri. Now maybe there is a difference that Pruitt and staff are better coaches, but they still run the risk of creating a mutiny if they keep it up. It’s one thing to rip the players in private, and an entirely different thing to do it publicly.

I don’t think it will have that effect. They will all think he is talking about everyone else.

Reactions: kcvols1 and finn
My thoughts exactly. I saw the other thread with video from the post game presser and did not like it. A coach has to earn players trust and players have to buy in. Goes both ways. That bonding should have happened during offseason.

I consider our players as Vols for life as they came here by choice. Stating to the public that they are not good enough is harsh. What he said in the presser is true, but should have dealt it internally. What happens if the players start complaining of coaches on twitter or media. CJP just said what we like to hear. I stand behind our players on this one incident than our coach.

We are doing fine Bammer

It will be interesting to see how this board reacts if Mizzou rolls us.

To me, this isn't about Pruitt at all, or even this year. (3 more wins will be tough, and all first year coaches deserve a pass.) This is about how frustrating it's been to see TN hanging onto coaches while they drive the program into the ground.

As far as motivating our players... I know what would motivate me. Hang up that picture of that idiotic scumbag Lyle (who recruited 90% of that locker room) celebrating with the Bammers. I'd play pissed off every time I see the picture.

LOL. Coaches have to be honest with their players, especially at this level. These are big boys. The fighters on the team will take what he says to heart and strive to get better every day. Those who are in over their heads in the SEC will quit. CJP is using these 'come to Jesus moments' to find out who wants to take it to the next level and who wants to find another place to take the easier path. And I am certain CJP has the full support of PF.

Very well said imo.

Keep telling yourself...

Motivating players to get better by stating in public they aren't good enough to get better with proper coaching doesnt work for anyone, Dooley, Jones or Pruitt.

A much better answer to a stupid question would simply be "We're gonna coach them up". Take the responsibility on him and the coaching staff in public. That's my opinion and would be the opinion of many if CBJ had said the same thing Pruitt did at any point in his tenure.

CJP is still a rookie and will likely continue to make rookie mistakes. Hopefully there will be enough coaching performances similar to what we saw against Auburn to offset these coaching gaffes sure to come. Otherwise we will be looking for a new coach much sooner than anyone on here prefers.

Those that have bought in (which he did mention) will not hear that perception of the message because they are already on the bus. Those who havent 7 games into the season wont and they have been put on notice. Your not motivating and winning games with that group, your doing it with the first and those that are "doing it right" will buy into to his promise to give them competitive teammates to fight with in the future.

It was perfectly stated for those that understand the dynamics of the trainwreck hes cleaning up. The thin skinned crowd will move forward worried about whether he hurt some kids feelings (none of which he named) that will not contribute to any future success in this program anyway.

His obstacle is getting as many as he can as quick as he can because the band guy didnt leave much.

Well those players will leave if it’s a problem for them. What I think is telling is Warrior reiterated what Pruitt said.

Some guys just aren’t playing like they should and others are. These players can see who the weak links are and eventually those links will be cut out.

If Warrior hadn’t come out and agreed with Pruitt then yeah you’d have a point about all this but if another player is calling out some of the ones who aren’t doing their job right then that’s a different story.

I don’t think we ever saw something like while Jones was here.

Also I don’t see neither UK or Vandy putting up 50 on us, we’d have to have another repeat of the UF game for that to happen

Spacecoastvol,Coach Pruitt threw no one under the bus.He stated the fact that he needs to get. better players to go with the several that are here now to upgrqde over some of Butch's star pumped up players.If the truth hurts your feelings,go back to playing fortnight where you are god.

VN Store

Back