Who plays where next year ?

volnationnj

We seem to be set at the #1, 2 and 3 positions.
Point guards
Westbrook 1/2
Hayes 1/2
Massengill

2 guards
Jackson
Z. Green

Wing/3
Davis
Burrell

Forward
Collins
Harris

Center
C.Green
KK

We could use some help up front in the 2019 class.
The question is, who starts ?

Last edited:
Evina Westbrook 1
Meme Jackson 2
Rennia Davis 3
Cheridene Green 4
Kasiyahna Kushkituah 5 with a very strong bench....
Anastasia Hayes 1st off bench
Amira Collins 2nd off bench
then ?????
Jazmine Massengill
Zarielle Green
Rae Burrell
Kamera Harris

My guess is:
1/2 Hayes
1/2 Westbrook
2/3 Jackson
4 Davis
5 Green

Bench rotation:
Green
Massengill
Collins
KK

I have NOT seen much on the incoming recruits, but I'm just guessing based off HS rankings and AA honors.

The glaring weakness on the roster is post play. We lose Russell and Nared without a whole lot to replace them in the front court. For the options we have:

Collins-top 100 freshman, appears to have had a fantastic senior year but is she ready to step in and make an impact early on?

Green-Good rebounder, capable finisher....but I don't know how she'll do against other big posts.

KK-we've seen very little from her this year. Appears to be very raw, so expecting much from her as a sophomore might be wishful thinking.

Kamera-another player we really haven't seen play.

Next year there are a lot of REALLY good posts around the country. Every top team has at least 1-2 strong options coming back, and right now no one appears to be a strong option for Tennessee. Davis will help mend the bleeding inside, but she's better playing all over the court rather than exclusively inside.

On the perimeter, the big concern I have is with turnovers. It's no secret EW and AH have struggled in this area, and Tennessee has almost always struggled with TOs...so I'm hoping they can clean it up next year, but I'm a bit nervous.

My guess is:
1/2 Hayes
1/2 Westbrook
2/3 Jackson
4 Davis
5 Green

Bench rotation:
Green
Massengill
Collins
KK

I have NOT seen much on the incoming recruits, but I'm just guessing based off HS rankings and AA honors.

The glaring weakness on the roster is post play. We lose Russell and Nared without a whole lot to replace them in the front court. For the options we have:

Collins-top 100 freshman, appears to have had a fantastic senior year but is she ready to step in and make an impact early on?

Green-Good rebounder, capable finisher....but I don't know how she'll do against other big posts.

KK-we've seen very little from her this year. Appears to be very raw, so expecting much from her as a sophomore might be wishful thinking.

Kamera-another player we really haven't seen play.

Next year there are a lot of REALLY good posts around the country. Every top team has at least 1-2 strong options coming back, and right now no one appears to be a strong option for Tennessee. Davis will help mend the bleeding inside, but she's better playing all over the court rather than exclusively inside.

On the perimeter, the big concern I have is with turnovers. It's no secret EW and AH have struggled in this area, and Tennessee has almost always struggled with TOs...so I'm hoping they can clean it up next year, but I'm a bit nervous.

There will be no turnovers next season. If Evina turn the ball over this coming season ,there are guard that will take her place as she sit.

There will be no turnovers next season. If Evina turn the ball over this coming season ,there are guard that will take her place as she sit.

I`m with you on that, Also i still think the 2g is best for her, because she is not a good ball handler. A lot of her turnovers are due to ball pressure by the other players.

We don't know who will improve or who Holly will decide to play no matter how they are playing.

I like Massengill getting a lot of minutes at the point because she is a lot more conservative player then Hayes or Westbrook she doesn't force the issue and finds the open man for a shot. I suspect Westbrook is the starter but if she isn't much better in the turnover, free throw shooting, and overall shooting watch Massengill start the take some of those minutes. Same with Hayes.
The two guard will be Meme at the start of the season only because she will be a senior. I can see Zarielle playing more than she does because she is a consistent scorer and very active player. The question will be defense early but she is more talented than Meme will ever be just a matter of time before she is playing more.
Davis is the three or sometimes four huge minutes and go to player.
We'll see KK trying to win the five spot and the competition will be Green. KK really needs to get in shape she has some talent and is far more physical than Russell. Green seemed to be having a battle with nerves late in the season and really lost her effective play.
We could see Collins grab the four or at least get most of the minutes there. She is a player that has a lot of ability and is aggressive going after the ball. She will be a favorite from day one.

PG-Westbrook, Hayes, Massengill to start the season nice to have three options here.
SG-Jackson to start Green to play as much or more as the season progresses.
WF-Davis is the woman here should be a lot better and that means trouble for the competition. I think with Russell and Nared gone she will get more shots and she has been close to 50 percent as a freshman.
C-KK, Green very equal battle probably about equal minutes.
PF-Collins wins here she will make us a better rebounding team and is a lot more active player than Russell. I expect she will average around 10 ppg and 8 rpg playing about 20 minutes.
I expect Burrell to play some every game as well. She is a talented player who has a lot of players to beat out for playing time. I suspect 10 minutes a game if she is productive.

If I were coach

PG- Massengill, Hayes, Westbrooks
SG-Westbrooks, Jackson, Burrell
WF-Davis, Green, Burrell
C-Green, KK, Harris
PF-Collins, Green, Davis

Last edited:
Signs of a proud program tettering on the edge of mediocrity and hope - the ol' next year thread with the new elite players right before tournament time.

Re-done every year at this time like Groundshog Day.

Reactions: 2 people
Signs of a proud program tettering on the edge of mediocrity and hope - the ol' next year thread with the new elite players right before tournament time.

Re-done every year at this time like Groundshog Day.
There's more than a week off between the end of the SEC playoffs and the start of the NCAA's. Nothing wrong with a little speculation on next year's team during this period of inaction. If you didn't like the topic, you could have just passed it by. Instead, you felt compelled to describe the thread as a sign that the program was "tettering (sic) on the edge of mediocrity." Thanks for your contribution.

Reactions: 3 people
1 Massengill, Hayes
2 Westbrook, Jackson
3 Jackson, Davis, Z Green
4 Davis, Burrell/Collins
5 C Green, KK

Massengill looks legit - a bigger stronger version of Hayes that might be able to shoot a little. Great assist to TO ratio. She makes about 1 three per game and shoots almost 80% from the line.

If Z Green show the ability to hit 3's we can put her at the 2, but just from her stats page, I don't feel comfortable putting her out there.

Hayes only spots Massengill unless she can shoot 33%+ from three. Why do we recruit guards that cannot shoot?

Obviously, this is a small line-up, but I think it is our best mix of shooters and defenders. I think this line-up could be a man-to-man full court pressing nightmare for opponents. We will have to abandon the "force it inside" mantra... thank God. But we will be able to stretch zones which will create opportunities to cut and slash to the basket. I would pair this line up with 1-4 High offensive sets against man to man, and I would focus on overload concepts against zone.

For homework, check out these 1-4 high sets. (Basketball Offense - 1-4 High Stack Offense, Coach's Clipboard Basketball Coaching and Playbook) The one called "Lobo" makes a great base set play because you end the set in the same position that you begin and you should have 10-15 left on the clock. You can go straight into another set like the 41 pick and roll without "resetting".

1 Massengill, Hayes
2 Westbrook, Jackson
3 Jackson, Davis, Z Green
4 Davis, Burrell/Collins
5 C Green, KK

Massengill looks legit - a bigger stronger version of Hayes that might be able to shoot a little. Great assist to TO ratio. She makes about 1 three per game and shoots almost 80% from the line.

If Z Green show the ability to hit 3's we can put her at the 2, but just from her stats page, I don't feel comfortable putting her out there.

Hayes only spots Massengill unless she can shoot 33%+ from three. Why do we recruit guards that cannot shoot?

Obviously, this is a small line-up, but I think it is our best mix of shooters and defenders. I think this line-up could be a man-to-man full court pressing nightmare for opponents. We will have to abandon the "force it inside" mantra... thank God. But we will be able to stretch zones which will create opportunities to cut and slash to the basket. I would pair this line up with 1-4 High offensive sets against man to man, and I would focus on overload concepts against zone.

For homework, check out these 1-4 high sets. (Basketball Offense - 1-4 High Stack Offense, Coach's Clipboard Basketball Coaching and Playbook) The one called "Lobo" makes a great base set play because you end the set in the same position that you begin and you should have 10-15 left on the clock. You can go straight into another set like the 41 pick and roll without "resetting".

I donÂ’t see a small line up ? Annie is 5Â’7” and MeMe is 5Â’10”. These two ladies are the only players under six foot. ThatÂ’s 9 players over six foot.... We do lose Mercedes at 6Â’6” but she played SMALL 😁

Reactions: 1 person
I call it small. It's definitely a 3 guard lineup. No true center. The 1 through 4 actually have more guard skills than post skills. Davis is a little light for the 4 but I think she can make up for it with athleticism and create serious matchup problems on offense.

It's a lineup made for full court press and high tempo.

I call it small. It's definitely a 3 guard lineup. No true center. The 1 through 4 actually have more guard skills than post skills. Davis is a little light for the 4 but I think she can make up for it with athleticism and create serious matchup problems on offense.

It's a lineup made for full court press and high tempo.

All they have to do to learn how to run a small-ball team is look at the men's team.

All they have to do to learn how to run a small-ball team is look at the men's team.

True, the men's team has at least 4 guys that shoot 40%ish on 3pters. IMO that is how to build a team. When was the last time the mens team was this good... Lofton... Smith.

If Holly could have put 3 such shooters around MR, she could have had something special. Instead, our only great shooter is a major defensive liability. I would not recruit anyone for the 1-3 positions that cannot defend or shoot 3s.

True, the men's team has at least 4 guys that shoot 40%ish on 3pters. IMO that is how to build a team. When was the last time the mens team was this good... Lofton... Smith.

If Holly could have put 3 such shooters around MR, she could have had something special. Instead, our only great shooter is a major defensive liability. I would not recruit anyone for the 1-3 positions that cannot defend or shoot 3s.

Meme, Jaime and Rennia have all proven they can hit the 3...All are streak-shooters...Give me a strong post, those three gunners and a PG and I can give you a dynasty.

The men are doing it without a scoring-post. . . They're doing it with 3 shooters a stretch-four and a PF.

Last edited:
Meme, Jaime and Rennia have all proven they can hit the 3...All are streak-shooters...Give me a strong post, those three gunners and a PG and I can give you a dynasty.

The men are doing it without a scoring-post. . . They're doing it with 3 shooters a stretch-four and a PF.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Dunning-Kruger effect, up close and personal.

How long did it take you to look that up Einstein? At least my knowledge and wisdom comes from experience not the internet.

Though I'm not worthy, I'll take the comparison as a compliment, thank you.
Btw, I didn't have to look it up. Since reading it, I've become aware of how often it applies in everyday life.
Which brings up the question;
Did you have to "look it up" ?
If so, I would wager that it was on the same internet that you derided.

Though I'm not worthy, I'll take the comparison as a compliment, thank you.
Btw, I didn't have to look it up. Since reading it, I've become aware of how often it applies in everyday life.
Which brings up the question;
Did you have to "look it up" ?
If so, I would wager that it was on the same internet that you derided.

I too could quote unfamiliar phrases and namesakes for instance I could ask you if you know what the Pareto Principle is. To me it is something I use and I've used in my business life for 22 years. To you it could be absolutely foreign. Until you look it up and then you have that u...oh I didn't know that subject had an actual term, moment.

Last edited:
I too could quote unfamiliar phrases and namesakes for instance I could ask you if you know what the Pareto Principle is. To me it is something I use and I've used in my business life for 22 years. To you it could be absolutely foreign. Until you look it up and then you have that u...oh I didn't know I had an actual term, moment.
I freely admit to being ignorant in many subjects. Even in subjects I'm fairly well versed in, I tread carefully. Something you apparently have no fear of. A difference in styles, certainly.
Fwiw, the 80/20 principle was not unknown to me.

I freely admit to being ignorant in many subjects. Even in subjects I'm fairly well versed in, I tread carefully. Something you apparently have no fear of. A difference in styles, certainly.
Fwiw, the 80/20 principle was not unknown to me.

If you listen to the John Calipari interview after the game on SportsCenter he said last time I was wrong was around 1985. That's what a confident coach looks like.

That is the essence of myself. I know my abilities I know my education I know my experiences I know my lifetime learning in the realm of coaching. I don't cower around any coach or around the subject of basketball because I have been involved in it for 37 years as a coach. That's where my confidence comes from, that's where my knowledge comes from, and that's what I prove every time I hit the floor.

In 37 total years, 22 of AAU High level competitive basketball, I have only been told "you were outcoached" one time... and I intend on keeping it that way.

Last edited:
I totally misunderstood this thread title. I thought the OP was wondering where our next wave of outgoing transfers would end up.

VN Store

Back