Where did life begin? (Merged)

Do you believe we have a creator, aka "God"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orangeslice13

RockyTop is back, Let’s Go!!
My personal bias is well documented in these forums. for those of you who don't know, I'm a Conservative religious nut job. I believe G-d created all things billions of years ago and gave it a push. from there everything evolved after it's own kind. My question is for those who come from an opposing view point.
How did life spontaneously start form non living mater?

Last edited:
I tentatively agree with you.

(you better correct your spelling in the last sentence or all you will get is crap saying you are wrong simply because of typos...)

This could be an interesting thread to read. We have some pretty intelligent posters and I hope they get in it. I have no idea. Science-wise, I'm not smart enough. Looks to me that whatever side anyone falls on it goes back to the chicken or the egg thing.

I'm dyslexic. Spelling errors are part of my life. I think I will leave it and see who trys to take the cheap way out.

My personal bias is well documented in these forums. for those of you who don't know, I'm a Conservative religious nut job. I believe God created all things billions of years ago and gave it a push. from there everything evolved after it's own kind. My question is for those who come from an opposing view point.
How did life spontaneously start form non living mater?

Your argument is invalid because you have a typo.:p

Reactions: 1 person
This could be an interesting thread to read. We have some pretty intelligent posters and I hope they get in it. I have no idea. Science-wise, I'm not smart enough. Looks to me that whatever side anyone falls on it goes back to the chicken or the egg thing.

Clearly you get it. I'm not trying to play gotcha. It's not a trick question. I've just never heard a good answer to this question and I think it will lead to a good conversation. We will have to ignore a few fools though.

There are several prominent theories, but the consensus in the scientific community is that life did not spontaneously begin. It was a long, drawn out process of trial and errors.

Some theorized that single cellular life began deep in the oceans near vents in the ocean floors. They eventually became multicellular when resources were used up and they necessitated a community to survive.

Others theorized that life began on land, in a hot spring of sorts - which has had recent evidence uncovered in support of this theory. From there life went many directions.

If you're looking for human life specifically, then Africa would be a good answer. That's where our closest relatives live and evidence shows that early tribes originated in Africa, then traveled different directions to eventually for the races and communities we have today.

Life from non-living matter could have been brought to earth on a meteor or asteroid in the form of amino acids, which are the basic building blocks to life. They could have also formed from the elements by pure chance. The only answer I have in that respect is that I highly doubt there will ever be a definitive answer to that question.

Science is awesome.

Last edited:
I thought us religious nut-jobs (RNJ) believed God created life between 4000-5000 years ago? Are you implying that God created life and the process by which it might improve and adapt to the earth over time? That would go against the RNJ view that evolution would mean that God made some mistakes early on. But, you would be implying that God knew the end result and what it would take to get there.

The creation theory that intellectuals may scoff at isnt any more absurd-sounding than what they believe in. They don't have any more of a clue than the rest of us

I do believe in creation.

God didn't say anything about creating eggs in Genesis.
(Can't remember who I borrowed that line from)

I thought us religious nut-jobs (RNJ) believed God created life between 4000-5000 years ago? Are you implying that God created life and the process by which it might improve and adapt to the earth over time? That would go against the RNJ view that evolution would mean that God made some mistakes early on. But, you would be implying that God knew the end result and what it would take to get there.

I think of it more as the domino theory. God created the universe and set the initial conditions. Then He knocked over the first domino and everything from there fell the way it had been laid out. There were no mistakes, there were incremental steps. Once man appeared, the last domino of creation had fallen. Now the mechanistic process was over with the entrance of free will.

There are several prominent theories, but the consensus in the scientific community is that life did not spontaneously begin. It was a long, drawn out process of trial and errors.

I guess my question in the title should have been "How did life begin?" There still had to be a light switch moment when we went from no life to life. What caused that? In nature life reproduces but as far as I know does not begin. It does end on a regular basis.

Some theorized that single cellular life began deep in the oceans near vents in the ocean floors. They eventually became multicellular when resources were used up and they necessitated a community to survive.

Others theorized that life began on land, in a hot spring of sorts - which has had recent evidence uncovered in support of this theory. From there life went many directions.

Are you suggesting a catalyst for life that I am unaware of? Again What Caused it?

If you're looking for human life specifically, then Africa would be a good answer. That's where our closest relatives live and evidence shows that early tribes originated in Africa, then traveled different directions to eventually for the races and communities we have today.

A question for a different thread.

Life from non-living matter could have been brought to earth on a meteor or asteroid in the form of amino acids, which are the basic building blocks to life. They could have also formed from the elements by pure chance. The only answer I have in that respect is that I highly doubt there will ever be a definitive answer to that question.

I've heard the space theory but reject it as week. It still does not answer the How question.

Science is awesome.

Thank you for your answer. I agree Science is awesome. unlike most I do not see a need for separation from G-d due to Science. G-d Made Science.

Last edited:
The creation theory that intellectuals may scoff at isnt any more absurd-sounding than what they believe in. They don't have any more of a clue than the rest of us

I do believe in creation.

The creation story as told in the bible is consistent with a very old earth IMO.
Lets say Volatile was writing the big bang theory down for sheep herders in Iran in terms they, who have about a 6th grade education, could understand. What would people say about the scientific validity of this writing 2000 years from now?

This is a topic I think about all the time and something I struggled with for a while. I do believe in a supernatural being because every natural law we have says that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed. Going back and even farther back, the one or two things that all life came from had to come from somewhere. I believe that somewhere is God. The particles that scientists have discovered now in the newer rules of matter creation, bosons/fermions/etc, had to come from somewhere.

Yes, I majored in Science, believe that evolution is a natural process and still consider myself a Christian. Nowhere in the theory of evolution is the idea of God disproven.

I think of it more as the domino theory. God created the universe and set the initial conditions. Then He knocked over the first domino and everything from there fell the way it had been laid out. There were no mistakes, there were incremental steps. Once man appeared, the last domino of creation had fallen. Now the mechanistic process was over with the entrance of free will.

Yorkvol, I did not mean to skip you. I just felt this was a pretty good answer of how I feel. I will say I do not believe every animal evolved from a common ancestor. Genesis says all were created unique. they reproduce after their own kind and now God is at rest. To me that says God stopped creating at some point.

OK, I gotta ask. Where did God come from?

I struggle with This as well. G-d just is and always has been. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that. It's no different than in science Where the new school of though is energy always has been. The big bang is just the most recipient big bang. The theory goes on to say at some point all will collapse and bag out again.

Apparently with both G-d and science there was no beginning.

Last edited:
I struggle with This as well. GOD just is and always has been. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that. It's no different than in science Where the new school of though is energy always has been. The big bang is just the most recipient big bang. The theory goes on to say at some point all will collapse and bag out again.

Apparently with both God and science there was no beginning.

See, that would be my struggle. There has to be something but there can't be. There can't be anything but there is.:huh:

Two prevailing theories in the science world are that A) life began merely by coincidence, in that after millions and millions of years, the right ingredients came together in a primordial soup. The odds of this happening are astronomical, but by the sheer number of years that passed, it is possible and B) life was brought here by an asteroid or comet. I tend to agree with this theory.

There is no viable scientific theory that can explain the need for sexual reproduction.

That just leaves creation.

VN Store

Back