What do you consider to be the best football movie?

The best football movies in my opinion

Brian's Song 1971
Jim Thorpe All American 1951
North Dallas Forty 1979
The Longest Yard 1974
Number One 1969(Charlton Heston plays a QB of the Saints)
Knute Rockne All American 1940
Necessary Roughness 1991
Best of Times 1986
Navy Blue and Gold 1937(Robert Young and Jimmy Stewart play two Navy Midshipmen)
Rudy 1993

Last edited:
Here's my top 10...

Remember The Titans
The Junction Boys
Friday Night Lights
Water Boy
The Longest Yard (the original!)
The Program
North Dallas Forty
Rudy
Varsity Blues
We Are Marshall

Last edited:
I've read through the thread and I'm a little surprised that "The Best of Times" with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell was only mentioned once. It was very funny and even poignant. I loved the scene where Reno is looking over the graffiti that Jack has written on the walls of the lodge and gets pi$$ed that one of the blowout scores is off by a touchdown. "This graffiti is wrong!" Most football movies either take themselves too seriously (Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday, The Blind Side) or not seriously enough (Necessary Roughness, The Replacements). The Best of Times hits the right mix of comedy and drama.

And not a football movie but watching Karl (Billy Bob Thornton) in Sling Blade run with the ball in a sandlot game against kids is the most I have laughed during any football related scene.

The best sports movie I've ever seen is Moneyball.

I don't think I've ever seen a football movie even come close to that level. Closest was probably Friday Night Lights. Even though it was a heavily dramatized version of the actual story, I thought it captured all the best and worst elements of rural high school football from both a competitive and personal standpoint. The portrayal of the unstable relationship between the alcoholic father and his son was powerful.

I agree with whoever said most football movies are generally awful. The Blind Side and Gridiron Gang were unwatchable to me. Some are decent, like Invincible and The Express. And I actually liked Remember the Titans, even though it was pretty over the top. Most others I've seen were either meh or flat out terrible.

The best sports movie I've ever seen is Moneyball.

I don't think I've ever seen a football movie even come close to that level. Closest was probably Friday Night Lights. Even though it was a heavily dramatized version of the actual story, I thought it captured all the best and worst elements of rural high school football from both a competitive and personal standpoint. The portrayal of the unstable relationship between the alcoholic father and his son was powerful.

I agree with whoever said most football movies are generally awful. The Blind Side and Gridiron Gang were unwatchable to me. Some are decent, like Invincible and The Express. And I actually liked Remember the Titans, even though it was pretty over the top. Most others I've seen were either meh or flat out terrible.

I thought maybe it was me that said that and I looked at it was. And 5 years later I still stand by it. Sports movies in general aren't great, but football in particular seem to be terrible and it's usually because the football action looks like it was directe by someone who had no idea how football actually is.

How hard is it to get someone on set or in the editing process to be able to point out small details like the clock stops on an incomplete pass? Or a game where it's supposed to be the Buffalo Bills playing at home and the action is obviously being filmed in a dome?

One trope they sort of seem to finally be moving away from is in the past films would just get fat guys to play offensive and defensive linemen. I remember some terrible TV film starring Tony Danza as a garbage man who is made kicker for the Eagles and they had the fattest dudes playing OL.

VN Store

Back