What are reasonable expectations for 2018-19?

bballnut90

Besides her first season, every year under Holly we’ve had final four talent on paper. Pretty much every season has ended in disappointment, whether it be an early exit or a disappointing regular season (or both). This year we are thinner on talent than we’ve been in quite some time. Even on paper I don’t think anyone is predicting us to be a top 10 team, without considering our coaching. Knowing the players and coaching staff we have coming back, what do you think are reasonable expectations for this team?

I’d consider this year very successful if we can keep losses below 8 for the year (including post season play), finish top 3 in the SEC, host the first 2 rounds and make the Sweet 16. Most important, I’d like to see some development from our sophomore class. Have Davis continue to improve her all around game, Westbrook improve as a scorer and cut down on TOs, Hayes improve decision making, and see some progress from KK. Freshman contributions are great, but I want to see players actually improve during their time at Tennessee which just hasn’t happened under Holly. SEC looks less intimidating this year with Mississippi State graduating their great class and Wilson leaving SC, but both schools have fantastic coaches and other programs like Missouri could be dangerous this year. Plus there’s always Alabama looming.

Realistically, I think I’m shooting too high considering our losses as well as Holly’s track record, but I wanted to see what other fans will be satisfied with for an outcome this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Besides her first season, every year under Holly we’ve had final four talent on paper. Pretty much every season has ended in disappointment, whether it be an early exit or a disappointing regular season (or both). This year we are thinner on talent than we’ve been in quite some time. Even on paper I don’t think anyone is predicting us to be a top 10 team, without considering our coaching. Knowing the players and coaching staff we have coming back, what do you think are reasonable expectations for this team?

I’d consider this year very successful if we can keep losses below 8 for the year (including post season play), finish top 3 in the SEC, host the first 2 rounds and make the Sweet 16. Most important, I’d like to see some development from our sophomore class. Have Davis continue to improve her all around game, Westbrook improve as a scorer and cut down on TOs, Hayes improve decision making, and see some progress from KK. Freshman contributions are great, but I want to see players actually improve during their time at Tennessee which just hasn’t happened under Holly. SEC looks less intimidating this year with Mississippi State graduating their great class and Wilson leaving SC, but both schools have fantastic coaches and other programs like Missouri could be dangerous this year. Plus there’s always Alabama looming.

Realistically, I think I’m shooting too high considering our losses as well as Holly’s track record, but I wanted to see what other fans will be satisfied with for an outcome this year.

ESPN has Tennessee #9 in their "too early for 2018" top 25.

I don't think they are anywhere near that. I don't think this is a ranked team. The SEC has some serious attrition, and I don't think any of the teams outside of SC, Miss State and possibly TAMU will be top 25 mainstays.

Tennessee is in a precarious situation where they will probably have to rely on freshmen alot like last season, but without the seasoned and reliable offense from players like Nared and Russell. They won't have the significant post mismatch that Russell brought to the table, and I think Davis will struggle as the go-to scorer. I'm guessing the starting 5 will be Westbrook, Hayes, Jackson, Davis and Green...and I'm not sure that's a top 25 team when coached by Holly.

I do think 8 losses is doable going into postseason, assuming they have another relatively soft OOC schedule and the SEC schedule shouldn't be too tough either...but again the coaching "X-Factor". I don't expect a high ROI or SOS, and S16 is probably a reach for the NCAAT. I predict that next year won't be pretty.

Reactions: 1 person
My expectations:

15 Wins

Saban, Smart and Mullen comforting each other in "gloom, despair and agony" on them! Whoooa!

Sports Talk Show hosts committing "Hari Kari!"

Paul Finebaum files a cease and desist/ restraining order against "Phyllis from Mulga"

GoFundMe accounts from other SEC Schools to dig up dirt on Tennessee and CJP/CPF

Al Gore tying Global Warming/Climate Change to the rise of Tennessee Football!

Cats and Dogs living together!

Last edited:
My expectations:

15 Wins

Saban, Smart and Mullen comforting each other in "gloom, despair and agony" on them! Whoooa!

Sports Talk Show hosts committing "Hari Kari!"

Paul Finebaum files a cease and desist/ restraining order against "Phyllis from Mulga"

GoFundMe accounts from other SEC Schools to dig up dirt on Tennessee and CJP/CPF

Al Gore tying Global Warming/Climate Change to the rise of Tennessee Football!

Cats and Dogs living together!

Wrong sport/forum I believe.

Reactions: 4 people

Losing Mercedes and Jamie is no small matter but the team will be more guard oriented and athletic. That actually is a better template for success in today's game than a post oriented offense.

I think Meme is going to be very, very good. I look for Westbrook and Hayes to have much better all round games coming into the season. We have a potential all-American candidate in Davis. That is a talented core group and if Green, KK and the freshman provide necessary support, this can be a very good team.

They under performed last year and need to be right in the hunt for an SEC title (and finish in top 3) and make it at least back to the Sweet 16 for this season to be deemed remotely acceptable. I think anything less than that, we will be looking at a coaching change.

Wrong sport/forum I believe.

Forget it, he’s rolling.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Losing Mercedes and Jamie is no small matter but the team will be more guard oriented and athletic. That actually is a better template for success in today's game than a post oriented offense.

I think Meme is going to be very, very good. I look for Westbrook and Hayes to have much better all round games coming into the season. We have a potential all-American candidate in Davis. That is a talented core group and if Green, KK and the freshman provide necessary support, this can be a very good team.

They under performed last year and need to be right in the hunt for an SEC title (and finish in top 3) and make it at least back to the Sweet 16 for this season to be deemed remotely acceptable. I think anything less than that, we will be looking at a coaching change.

Will hear the we-are-young excuse again....

We will have great talent but will be very young. Mistakes could happen a lot early. There also may be some close games with some cupcake teams. I believe this could improve, based upon talent, a lot by SEC tournament time. A lot of our team growth factor will depend a lot upon coaching. This team’s growth, or their lack there of, will depend upon our coaches’ ability to coach the team up. In reality, the jury is out as it relates to our coaches ability to take this young team to the next level. The upcoming year may be one of patience and understanding the issues associated with coaching a young team with outstanding potential talent.

Don’t expect a final four. If this team can make it to the NCAA’s, and there is no reason why they cannot, an elite eight would equate to a very good coaching job.

Last edited:
2018 elite 8: ND, MS, Louisville, Conn, Oregon, UCLA, SC, Oregon St.

not Baylor, Texas, Fla St , Stanford or Duke to name a baker's dozen.

My expectation is to have competitive games every time with the elite teams and have a more dominate attitude those with lesser talent. So many tourney games are close - decided by one or two late possessions great plays. such as ND's final two games that playing each game to win down to the final possession would be satisfying.

Top three finish in the SEC, SEC tournament semi-finals at least. Beat Alabama and get to the at least the sweet 16 in the tourney. We'll miss Russell's offense hopefully we'll make up for some of it with someone in that position playing better defense.
If we discover how to take care of the ball and not have 25 turnovers a game no reason we can't win 25 games.

Reasonable expectations = Not continuing on the Old Dominion/La Tech track towards irrelevance....

Amen! A few more years and we’ll be just like them. It’ll be hard to get recruits in the future if Holly doesn’t do anything with the ones she has and the few committed. Days are numbered...

Reactions: 3 people
For as long as Holly Warlick is head coach, the Lady Vols will never again be a respectable program. You can take that to the bank.

Reactions: 4 people
For as long as Holly Warlick is head coach, the Lady Vols will never again be a respectable program. You can take that to the bank.

Yes I am glad you said it..... The program will progress as a byproduct of how good the coaching is..... and to look around at programs around the country who have done well with zero blue chippers (Miss St, Oregon St, etc).... it has been evident for some time where we are headed.....

My expectations are.... to seek to be always competitive... to play hard every game.... don't play to give coach reason to say post game "well the other team just wanted it more"... to play team basketball.... and play for a common cause and not for oneself

My expectation is for the team to score against a zone, more motion on offense, better 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers. There is no excuse for the team to look so incompetent and shell shocked against zone defenses, which they see year after year after...you get the drift.

Does anyone know if the coaches are prepared for zones or will we hear the same excuses about a lack of effort and the team failing to put two halves together?

My expectation is for the team to score against a zone, more motion on offense, better 3 point shooting and fewer turnovers. There is no excuse for the team to look so incompetent and shell shocked against zone defenses, which they see year after year after...you get the drift.

Does anyone know if the coaches are prepared for zones or will we hear the same excuses about a lack of effort and the team failing to put two halves together?

It's a secret

VN Store

Back