Wednesday Practice Thread Bama Week

Quotes like these reveal how little some of you know about the game. Spiking it doesn’t draw anyone into the box leaving your WRs on the outside w single coverage. To have a successful passing game you must have a threat to run genius

32972d86d4865826841caa89dbd4a831.jpg

Quotes like these reveal how little some of you know about the game. Spiking it doesn’t draw anyone into the box leaving your WRs on the outside w single coverage. To have a successful passing game you must have a threat to run genius
Tell that to Mike Leach.

Deandre Johnson will be starting opposite Taylor unless they change things from last week. Johnson went in for Kongbo, made a few tackles and a big sack.
This. I’m thinking there may be more production w Kongbo out. Like the guy, but seemed to just take up space on the field.

The statement was you cant have a successful passing game without running. Quit trying to move the goalposts.
And the post I quoted was saying that Mike Leach’s offense was proof that needing a running game was false. I actually agree that you absolutely have to have the threat of a running game at the very least to be successful.

And the post I quoted was saying that Mike Leach’s offense was proof that needing a running game was false. I actually agree that you absolutely have to have the threat of a running game at the very least to be successful.
I agree we must run it to throw effectively but some production when we had it off is critical. Without a few 1st downs on the ground bama will time of possession us to death.

So, he doesn't have a successful passing game? I'm sure he will be suprised to hear that. Just because you agree with someone else doesn't mean you are right.

Even Mike leach has said that he doesn't believ in the run pass balance fallacy, he disagrees with you that in order to throw the ball there has to be a threat to run. But hey he was just about to be our new coach for no reason right?

This. I’m thinking there may be more production w Kongbo out. Like the guy, but seemed to just take up space on the field.

Johnson scares me to be honest. He has been really poor this season against the run when he's been out there. For all the hate Kongbo gets, he had become pretty darn good setting the edge in the run game. The few times Johnson was in there against both UF and UGA he was absolutely run over.

I will rephrase... anyone know who is expected to start at Kongbo's spot? It cannot be all 4.

Taylor already starts on the other side. Personally I would move Bituli to Kongbo's vacated spot and go with DK, Ignont and Sapp inside. After Taylor and Kongbo the other OLB's have been dreadful this season against the run.

Reactions: fossilfiction
Even Mike leach has said that he doesn't believ in the run pass balance fallacy, he disagrees with you that in order to throw the ball there has to be a threat to run. But hey he was just about to be our new coach for no reason right?
I am confused, the point of my post was to ask whether the admittedly prolific passing attack that Mike Leach has had anything to do with the entire thread, which was about run past balance in relation to our team. No one on this site would be happy with a high scoring offense that does not lead to some form of championship. I am not the one "moving the goalposts ". Some on this site blasted the OC that set us up to have a record breaking offensive output because we didn't win the east.

And after he had the same result as EVERY other school he has coached, the vocal minority would have been calling for his head as well.

Reactions: butchna
I agree we must run it to throw effectively but some production when we had it off is critical. Without a few 1st downs on the ground bama will time of possession us to death.
I agree with your point. Run/pass balance does not mean calling a run play every first down. With our offense right now, we do need at least the threat. I don't know how much of a chance we will have no matter what we try, but it will be fun watching them try.

Sometimes the inverse is true. A good passing game can help make running easier. The two have to be complimentary. What we did on first down vs. Auburn was not useful. 12 rushes for 14 yards will not help the passing game. Just makes the third down pass that much longer.

Deandre Johnson will be starting opposite Taylor unless they change things from last week. Johnson went in for Kongbo, made a few tackles and a big sack.

DJ looked good out there last Saturday.

I hope he really shows out this Saturday!

Taylor already starts on the other side. Personally I would move Bituli to Kongbo's vacated spot and go with DK, Ignont and Sapp inside. After Taylor and Kongbo the other OLB's have been dreadful this season against the run.

Kongbo’s spot will either be #13 or Austin Smith
Bituli’s spot will be mostly Sapp and some Ignot

Last edited:
Sometimes the inverse is true. A good passing game can help make running easier. The two have to be complimentary. What we did on first down vs. Auburn was not useful. 12 rushes for 14 yards will not help the passing game. Just makes the third down pass that much longer.
I agree with this. The thought that the run has to set up the pass isn't some kind of old-school mentality, it's just wrong. The inverse works just as well, if you've got the QB to do it.

VN Store

Back