Vols Practice Thread #12

Fingers

During individual OL drills, Trey Smith was back at left tackle for the second straight day. Drew Richmond worked exclusively at right tackle. We’ll see how they line up again tomorrow, but at this rate, I’d expect Richmond to scrimmage there Saturday, with Jahmir Johnson and Nathan Niehaus getting the bulk of snaps at LT.

For the third straight day, redshirt junior linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. was working off to the side during individual drills. The same goes for lineman Chance Hall.

the quarterbacks threw the ball well during the routes on air period. Both Jarrett Guarantano and Keller Chryst were mainly crisp on in-routes and deeper corners. Cedric Tillman had a helluva snag plucking a wayward pass from Chryst on one rep, while Jordan Murphy and Tyler Byrd continue to illicit confidence.

neither Marquez Callaway or Jauan Jennings ran a single route Thursday. Callaway was wearing a sleeve on his left knee and mimicked some routes in a slow jog. Jennings didn’t even do that, watching the session on the side.

Sherrer gave Daniel Bituli, Dillion Bates and Will Ignont the business for not meeting his expectations on technique and effort.

Chris Rumph challenged Austin Smith to a push-up contest if he got a question wrong. He didn’t, so Rumph was forced to do push-ups with Darrell Taylor counting out loud.
-Jesse Simonton

Once again, Tracy Rocker was displeased with the effort from the Vols’ defensive line early on during a drill and made them all jog from one end of the field to the other

Tennessee’s receivers had a better day overall. Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway weren’t participating fully in drills, but the rest of UT’s wide receivers put together a better day than they have the rest of this week. Jordan Murphy looked good (despite him having a drop on a bullet pass on a short route over the middle later in a drill), and I was impressed with the speed and burst from Latrell Williams today.

Jarrett Guarantano has definitely improved his intangibles. His deep passes look much better, and he can make more throws than he did last year.

Keller Chryst has looked more consistent lately, and that continued today too.

I think I’ve said before earlier this fall that I didn’t expect Kingston Harris to really come in and contribute a ton during his freshman season this year. But I think I’ve changed my mind on that based on the last week of fall camp. He’s looking fairly impressive for a true freshman, and he already has the type of size that UT’s coaches want on the defensive line.
-Nathanael Rutherford

Sophomore Jordan Murphy, who has had a strong camp, made a full-stretch grab of a pass from Keller Chryst on an out route. The throw was well in front of Murphy and a little low, but he managed to get his hands on the ball and snag it out of the air. Murphy also maintained his balance and turned upfield.

Murphy's grab was not as good as the one freshman Cedric Tillman made later in the period. The rookie from Las Vegas made a diving grab of a sharp throw from fellow freshman JT Shrout on a comeback route. It looked like Shrout threw it too soon before Tillman came out of his break toward the sideline, but Tillman got two strong hands on the ball and maintained control as he used it to brace his fall as he went to ground.

Callaway typically is the first in line on that side of the field for routes on air, but leading the line on Thursday night was Tyler Byrd, who continues to look solid during individual drills and routes on air.

Among the group of players working out on the side were offensive lineman Chance Hall and Devante Brooks, linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. and tight end James Brown.

Former Tennessee kicker Jeff Hall was at Thursday night's practice and was visiting with the current crop of kickers and punters.
-Patrick Brown

Last edited:
For me, it’s great to hear the “Pride” in the distance, just as it used to be (should be).
I anticipate we will hear them a bit more inside Neyland this season as well.

I might get flamed for this, but I hope like hell they take it easy with playing Rocky Top and save it just for touchdowns. Now don’t get me wrong, playing it 20 times from scoring 20 touchdowns would be great, but I’m just saying.

the quarterbacks threw the ball well during the routes on air period. Both Jarrett Guarantano and Keller Chryst were mainly crisp on in-routes and deeper corners. Cedric Tillman had a helluva snag plucking a wayward pass from Chryst on one rep, while Jordan Murphy and Tyler Byrd continue to illicit confidence.

It's practice and we all know not to read too much into practice, but Cedric Tillman's development is definitely the most encouraging theme that has been consistent throughout these threads. We badly need a few more serviceable WRs to go alongside of Jennings, Callaway, and B. Johnson. Between him and Josh Palmer, we might be OK there.

Double-extra bonus if Tyler Byrd becomes remotely serviceable (and I'm skeptical of that until I see proof).

I might get flamed for this, but I hope like hell they take it easy with playing Rocky Top and save it just for touchdowns. Now don’t get me wrong, playing it 20 times from scoring 20 touchdowns would be great, but I’m just saying.
What about turnovers?

3 AND OUT WHAT LET'S GO THREE AND OUT FORCED A PUNT LET'S GO EVERYBODY WHOOOO

I would take Rocky Top all day over that nonsense.

VN Store

Back