Vols Practice Thread #10

I don’t think it’s for him to play TE...he’s not the size they want there. More to pick up the blocking and receiving aspects for use at FB. They’re doing the same with Pope and Blakeley. I keep thinking they have some unique use for Fant in mind...kind of a multiplayer role. JMO
That makes sense

Imo, we already know what Jennings, Callaway and Johnson can do. So the best news out of fall camp, once again imo, is the progress of Jordan Murphy and potential of Cedric Tillman. I'm thinking UT will be fine at WR. My biggest worry is whether or not the QB or QBs can make the right reads and throws, on time and in the right spots.

Hey Dog, I was thinking this before you were !

Reactions: The Dog
I don’t think it’s for him to play TE...he’s not the size they want there. More to pick up the blocking and receiving aspects for use at FB. They’re doing the same with Pope and Blakeley. I keep thinking they have some unique use for Fant in mind...kind of a multiplayer role. JMO

Makes me wonder if he is not going to be worked with the TE's to help pick up his blocking skills for HB/FB. Also slip him out for a wheel route or two a game. If you get him moving down hill he will be a handful to bring down.

Jugs machine and consequences for the entire WR group for drops by individual WRs imho. Drops are a the result of a lack focus/concentration.

Drops happen in routes on air. It's basically a warm-up session for the rest of practice. How about relax?

Interesting that they're trying Fant at TE again.
Don't know why it's interesting? That basically means Jeremy Banks is a viable running back. Also, Fant can run, catch, and block. Only makes sense for him to push over to TE. Especially if they motion him from the TB position to the TE position. Which is a very possible thing.

Don't know why it's interesting? That basically means Jeremy Banks is a viable running back. Also, Fant can run, catch, and block. Only makes sense for him to push over to TE. Especially if they motion him from the TB position to the TE position. Which is a very possible thing.
Interesting in that it peaked my interest

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Interesting in that it peaked my interest
Ahh makes sense. 😁 Well I think we might set up in a 2 back offset or I formation and then he might get motioned to TE sometimes.

Seems very feasible. It would also, catch the Defense off guard. You wouldn't know if we were coming downhill at you or throwing at you.

Definitely sucks to hear we are still seeing all the drops. I guess I don't fully understand the injury that JJ had. Seems like its taken forever to get over.
I'm sure those that know football are right for showing concern over drops but, (say if) a 100 passes were thrown from 4-5 different QB's and there were less than 10 drops, that <10% doesn't seem alarming. Should it? Maybe if one receiver could be attributed to half of those and the number seems even less significant.

I'm sure those that know football are right for showing concern over drops but, (say if) a 100 passes were thrown from 4-5 different QB's and there were less than 10 drops, that <10% doesn't seem alarming. Should it? Maybe if one receiver could be attributed to half of those and the number seems even less significant.

Maybe they are better after the 10 minutes the press gets to see who knows. I do know that the HC stated in his comments about the QB's how 4-5 plays help make or break the game. So far every practice update we have seen they have brought up the drops. Maybe all of this uncertainty is due to how bad our WR play has been for the past almost 11 years. I cannot remember the last true "go to" receiver we have had (Robert Mecham)?

Reactions: basspond
Drops happen in routes on air. It's basically a warm-up session for the rest of practice. How about relax?

Guy asked a question, I matter of factly answered it per 2 methods that have proven to work....Jugs machine work and team/group accountability. Those two methods improve technique and focus, which undoubtedly are the causes for the drops.

Drops surely occasionally happen, but they surely shouldn’t happen as consistently and in the abundance that they’re being documented as happening in warmup periods/routes vs air. If you believe otherwise, might I suggest your standards are a bit low. Hope you don’t take the same stance regarding blocks, tackles, fumbles, etc.

There, was that relaxed enough for you?

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Well, to be fair. We could have had Rice, Moss, TO, and Irvin last season and still went 5-7. For much of this Decade of Despair our OLs and QBs have been atrocious. I think we'll have a really good group of WR starters and depth this year. Now the rest of the O, who knows.
Don’t disagree with your larger point, the teams have been feckless for the better part of a decade now. However, we’re specifically discussing WRs, and even if our QB and OL play is/was bad, we could’ve still had outstanding WR play, outstanding individual WRs, and we’ve had neither with anything that remotely resembles consistent excellence. Jennings has briefly flashed, so did Josh Malone, as did Callaway last year on the way to all of 24 catches for the year. So no, no WR for at least the last decade has come close to living up to “Wide Receiver U” standards.

VN Store

Back