Visiting Aggie looking for True Gameday Experience.

VisitingAggie18

Howdy!

My name is Cameron and I'm Texas A&M class of 2018. I am traveling up to Knoxville for the game in a couple weeks with a few friends and we are looking to have an authentic Tennessee Gameday experience. Arriving Friday, leaving Monday morning.

I've read a lot about The Strip and The Old City areas, but I'm wondering if y'all have any advice or suggestions on where some visitors should go to hang out before/after the game, or if there are any "must-see" traditions. Should we bar hop, or should we try to find a tailgate to join? I'm looking for things within walking distance to Neyland, but also anything else in Knoxville that would be good for Friday/Sunday.

Looking forward to your responses and a great game!

Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Check out the Vol Walk Pre game in front of Neyland which is normally a couple hours before kick off. The Old City along with Market square are good spots to bar hop or grab food. There will be tons of tailgates around the Stadium. Most Vol fans are easy going and welcome visiting fans especially if you share drinks. See the link below for UT game / stadium info. GBO!!

1696365548884.png

Reactions: VisitingAggie18
Howdy!

My name is Cameron and I'm Texas A&M class of 2018. I am traveling up to Knoxville for the game in a couple weeks with a few friends and we are looking to have an authentic Tennessee Gameday experience. Arriving Friday, leaving Monday morning.

I've read a lot about The Strip and The Old City areas, but I'm wondering if y'all have any advice or suggestions on where some visitors should go to hang out before/after the game, or if there are any "must-see" traditions. Should we bar hop, or should we try to find a tailgate to join? I'm looking for things within walking distance to Neyland, but also anything else in Knoxville that would be good for Friday/Sunday.

Looking forward to your responses and a great game!

Thanks, and Gig 'em.

The Strip has been stripped of it’s charm. Out of state companies have bought up the properties and replaced them with cheap, mid-rise apartment units. There are very few bars/restaurants still open there.

Market Square and Gay Street in downtown are the best options within walking distance of the stadium. 1-1.5 miles northeast of Neyland. Use the pedestrian bridge running by Clinch Avenue to cross over Henley Street.

The Old City is another mile northeast of Market Square. About a block east of the northern part of Gay Street. North Central at Jackson. Probably the best area to find a good bar.

Vol Village is a block or two due west of Neyland Stadium. More kid friendly, but usually has a bro country band, UT cheerleaders, Smokey, a giant TV showing the best noon game, cheap free crap given out.

Gate 21 at the NW stadium entrance has an amphitheater and the live, Vol Network radio, pregame broadcast.

The best tailgating is southwest and west of the stadium.

If walking from downtown, use the pedestrian bridge to cross Henley Street AND the pedestrian bridge at the southern end of 12th street to cross Cumberland Avenue.

If you want to try some local cuisine, steamed sandwiches are unique to Knoxville/east Tennessee. A place to get one is Gus' Good Times Deli which is right off the Strip next to the Graduate hotel. It's one of that last places that has survived all the redevelopment of the Strip and the walls are covered with photos of Tennessee players, old newspapers and the like. Sort of a dive but it has a lot of local character.

1696508281405.jpeg

If you want to try some local cuisine, steamed sandwiches are unique to Knoxville/east Tennessee. A place to get one is Gus' Good Times Deli which is right off the Strip next to the Graduate hotel. It's one of that last places that has survived all the redevelopment of the Strip and the walls are covered with photos of Tennessee players, old newspapers and the like. Sort of a dive but it has a lot of local character.

View attachment 584705

@VisitingAggie18

Wholeheartedly seconding the suggestion about Gus's. Definitely snag a steamed sandwich and take in the unique ambiance there. They also have a wall-o-beverages across from the service counter if you're looking for some non-soda refreshment.

There's also a liquor store on the corner in case you seek additional "fuel additives" to mix into a walking cup from Gus's before you head up to catch the Vol Walk.

VN Store

Back