UT President Dr. DiPietro Retiring

Yes. I hate to say it, but the answer is that simple.

The seeds of a new battle in that war were sown when Davenport was fired. The new President's first order of business is going to be hiring a new Chancellor, and Haslam is going to have a very heavy hand in who the President is, so they'll influence both positions.. Davenport didn't side with the Haslams during the battle over Currie's replacement, so by their calculus she had to be removed.
Her downfall was rejecting outsourcing of facilities management. She never had a chance after that. The AD issue and coaching search just provided cover.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Haslam and sports don’t mix. Their commitment to winning isn’t where it needs to be. Last thing we need is Bill coming in. TN desperately needs Fulmer and Pruitt to get it right.

Yes, this is a chance for present Governor Bill Haslam to take charge of UT as a "potential" president. The state legislature with direction from Haslam reduced the number of Trustees from 27 to 11 so Haslam could appoint his choices. The person that we need to become the President of UT is the current president of East Tennessee State University, Dr. Brian Noland. He holds a PHD from UT. He restored football to ETSU by hiring Phillip Fulmer to establish the program. He understands the importance of a strong football program. He had the chance to become Chancellor of UT, but declined to consider it and was probably waiting for the opportunity to become President instead of Chancellor.

Vol army won a battle there though, Haslam didn't get to appoint everyone. Legislature required 50% of the board to be picked by the new Governor. Jubran resigned as well due to the criticism from the base and the legislature.

Saying that. The snake is still in the grass and I will be very interested to see who is picked.

We all know how is ends. You think little Jimmy is going to let TN dictate his will twice? Lol. UT and every other big booster are scared to death of him. He will get his way.

we won't know the impact until his replacement comes on board and hangs around some...make no mistake, this is YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email from the University:

**if you recall, Boyd was Haslam's pick to replace him as governor

UT System Leadership
Today, I will announce my plan to ask the board to consider appointing UT Knoxville alumnus and Knoxville businessman Randy Boyd to serve as interim president for the University of Tennessee System, perhaps for 12 to 24 months, following the retirement of UT President Joe DiPietro.

As chair of the UT Board of Trustees, I am committed to making UT the best it can be. As you know, our University crosses the entire state with campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin, Memphis, and Tullahoma and a presence in all 95 counties through the Institute of Agriculture and Institute for Public Service. Our work impacts almost 50,000 students, 12,000 faculty and staff, and more than 370,000 alumni worldwide as well as the more than 6 million Tennesseans in our state. Who sits in the UT president's office matters.

So, this is a recommendation that I do not make lightly, and I would like to share with you my thought process in making this recommendation.

I think it is important to take a step back and evaluate the strategic needs of each campus and institute and the support required from the System administration in order to raise the bar on our overall success. Our mission as trustees is to serve our students, faculty and staff, aid the advancement of research, and support outreach efforts that impact the lives of Tennesseans. Appointing an interim president gives us time to gather more input from stakeholders—staff, faculty, administrators, alumni, legislators and community members—and objectively lay out our future plans and leadership needs.

I've also given careful consideration to the second part of my recommendation, which is to put forward Randy Boyd for the interim appointment. If appointed interim president, Boyd has declined to be paid a salary.

He is a Tennessean and successful businessman with strong ties to the University of Tennessee and experience in higher education leadership and policymaking.

He is the founder and chairman of Radio Systems Corp., with more than 700 employees, offices in six countries, and the brands PetSafe, Invisible Fence and SportDOG. Prior to running for governor this year, Boyd served as chair of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission and as Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development. He also served as Gov. Bill Haslam's adviser for higher education and was the architect for Drive to 55 and tnAchieves—initiatives aimed at increasing the number of high school graduates in Tennessee who attend college and earn degrees without financial hardship. Through his philanthropy, Boyd also supports the UT Knoxville Boyd Center for Business and Economic Research and the Boyd Venture Challenge seed grant program for student entrepreneurs.

It is for these reasons, among others, that I believe he would work every day to ensure the continued success of the University of Tennessee.

My fellow trustees and I began our service as board members by listening, and we will continue to do so next week. I will lead discussion of these matters during a meeting set to begin at 11:45 a.m. EDT on Sept. 25 in Knoxville. During the meeting, the University community will have an opportunity to provide input on this recommendation. More information, including a link to a live webcast of the meeting, will be available at http://tennessee.edu/.

I wanted you to hear directly from me my perspective on this important recommendation, and I welcome your input and feedback.

Sincerely,
John Compton
UT Knoxville '83

Last edited:
Board of Trustees votes to appoint Randy Boyd as interim UT system president

The system is at a key moment in its history. A new, smaller board is taking over, Haslam is in the final months of his second term and UT Knoxville needs a new chancellor, with DiPietro's dismissal of Beverly Davenport in the spring.

The news follows the announcement this week that UT System President Joe DiPietro would formally retire in February and informally leave in November.

Gov. Bill Haslam is a longtime champion and friend of Boyd, who served as the governor's commissioner of economic development for two years. Before that Boyd was Haslam's special adviser on higher education, helping to boost development of state initiatives to increase the number of Tennesseans with advanced job skills and training.

Well, here we go.

VN Store

Back