Tyson Helton talks about Guarantano's play

I don't agree that is true... and honestly think they chose the right guy... at least to start with. JG has great physical talent. He's behind where a 3rd year player should be in mental development. That's been the sum of my argument. That's not personal. It isn't "hate" for JG. Just an opinion based on his play compared to others.
He’s barely into his SECOND year of playing. Even if your shoehorning of his redshirt year was factored in, he would be STARTING his third year. You make it sound like he has 3 years of playing experience...and that’s just not true.

JG made some good throws that I was critical on but he just cant keep throwing to one primary wr all year..Those same throws to Callaway are going to be picks starting next week...Im upset at the fact that Brandon only have two catches all year..Last game no targets..Im going to try and stay positive
Callaway is good enough to become a crutch. The problem with that is that UT plays several teams that can take him away.

He’s barely into his SECOND year of playing. Even if your shoehorning of his redshirt year was factored in, he would be STARTING his third year. You make it sound like he has 3 years of playing experience...and that’s just not true.
Not really. He's been in a college program (sort of) for 3 years. Lots of RS QB's with his physical talent shine as RS Fr or Sophs. His problems aren't physical. To me, he's answering the maturity and attitude questions extremely well so far this year. Most of the people arguing with me though are upset that I said his play and decisions impacts how the OL "looks". He's improved. But if he masters the mental part of the game his ceiling is in the stratosphere. I'm still not sure why some can't discuss and debate honest criticism without getting mad and defensive. I don't hate the kid. If he gets better... UT gets better.

Not really. He's been in a college program (sort of) for 3 years. Lots of RS QB's with his physical talent shine as RS Fr or Sophs. His problems aren't physical. To me, he's answering the maturity and attitude questions extremely well so far this year. Most of the people arguing with me though are upset that I said his play and decisions impacts how the OL "looks". He's improved. But if he masters the mental part of the game his ceiling is in the stratosphere. I'm still not sure why some can't discuss and debate honest criticism without getting mad and defensive. I don't hate the kid. If he gets better... UT gets better.
So Chryst was a fourth year player and got beat out by a first year player. Good reason not to look forward to Chryst being needed.

Callaway is good enough to become a crutch. The problem with that is that UT plays several teams that can take him away.
That's where JJ is supposed to come in, but he was MIA during the ETSU game. People have speculated he isn't 100%; I can see that being the case.

The biggest (honestly, the only) actual problem or liability with this offense is the offensive line. Guarantano has been adequate, the RBs are good, and the WRs are good. Guarantano would have the chance to be better than just adequate if his offensive line was better.

Reactions: MadWorld
I think most of us arguing with you believe that the o-line is the main problem and JG's role in their issues is small. Your posts come across as if JG is the main issue and shares a lot of the blame for the o-line's poor play. Maybe that is not what you meant, but that is how you are coming across.

Also one thing that needs to be considered is that JG is in his third year but has had a different OC and QB coach each year. The system might have basically stayed the same after DeBord left, but I think we can all agree that the coaching on offense took a dive last year too. Just like with the rest of the team playing for new coaches and under a new system, expectations should be measured with an eye on seeing steady improvement throughout the year.

JG looked good this week and drew praise from the commentators of the game as well. I thought he looked confident and the Line play was a little better considering the competition except for the right side was still a little weak. But I am sure that SJT has something negative to say about JG after only 24 points on Offense....

I agree he is somewhat behind where a 3rd year QB should be mentally and we all know why that is but he’s improved quite a bit in a short time with the new coaching staff. There’s no reason to believe he won’t keep getting better with more game experience.

People forget that his Redshirt year he didn't even have a QB Coach. Last year he had Canales (wow) and this year he has Helton. There's a reason why he may not be where he should be mentally. But, then again, this is a new offense as well. He's improved greatly from last year and will only continue to improve. JG is a perfectionist.

JG looked good this week and drew praise from the commentators of the game as well. I thought he looked confident and the Line play was a little better considering the competition except for the right side was still a little weak. But I am sure that SJT has something negative to say about JG after only 24 points on Offense....
Yeah... and I'm sure johnrlansford will have some uninformed smart aleck comment to make... without even avoiding embarrassment by checking his facts.

In fact, I think JG did a good job in this game from what I could tell. I didn't get the time or quarter but one play sticks out. They lined up in the O, he checked the front, he signaled behind his back, he called the OL audible, and then one of the RB's ran through a gaping hole on the right side for about 8 yards.

As for the OL, a lot of people are picking on Richmond for having a bad game. He did though I think both holding calls were questionable. But the guy who looks lost is Jahmir Johnson. I thought Ryan Johnson and Carvin took significant steps forward. On a few plays, Carvin just absolutely mauled defenders.

One thing I noticed with JG was that when they audible from whatever play, he'll only shout to the Oline when it's switched to a run. I'm not sure if defenses are picking up on that, but it'd be nice to see some hand gestures to the WRs to keep the LBs honest.

Reactions: V_O_L_S
I think most of us arguing with you believe that the o-line is the main problem and JG's role in their issues is small. Your posts come across as if JG is the main issue and shares a lot of the blame for the o-line's poor play. Maybe that is not what you meant, but that is how you are coming across.
I tend to argue strongest against the arguments I think are further off. I tend to react strongest to points of disagreement.

I think it is generally agreed that the OL has issues. You'd have to be blind not to see that. I think I'm the only one who has said that while we can be sure that blame is shared on the mental mistakes in blocking between the OL's and the QB... we don't have access to the info that would allow us to know how much lies where. None of the physical mistakes are on JG. What is not admitted by a few very devoted JG fans is that he is doing anything wrong at all. They blame coaches, other players, or anyone else. In this thread, they've even denied that the QB impacts OL performance by his decisions and line calls. That said (yeah I know the competition), I think JG managed the run game better vs UTEP. That may have been part of what they were working on along with the OL issues.

There were several times you could see JG making an audible or adjustment at the LOS and successfully getting them into a better run play. The ran a few RPO's and he seemed to be pretty solid there too. I believe the TD to 15 was an RPO.

Also one thing that needs to be considered is that JG is in his third year but has had a different OC and QB coach each year. The system might have basically stayed the same after DeBord left, but I think we can all agree that the coaching on offense took a dive last year too. Just like with the rest of the team playing for new coaches and under a new system, expectations should be measured with an eye on seeing steady improvement throughout the year.
I think there was one major difference last year and that was Dobbs. Dobbs ability to improvise when Jones ridiculous system broke down... made it look better than it ever was. That said, I still don't think JG's understanding of concepts and D's was as good as it should have been. He's continuing to make progress though.

This week... he gets a real test.

Do you think QD beat him out by throwing the ball better or more accurately? Why do you think QD was sacked so infrequently while JG was sacked often? Much of decision making is having a confident grasp of the scheme- agree? Not at all. I don't think it is an assumption at all. The last staff wouldn't have directly told game announcers that they had to reduce the play book with JG starting if that weren't the case.
QD elected to throw the ball up for grabs in double coverage instead of taking sacks. Would you rather take sacks or turnovers?

so you're saying Helton doesnt know what he is talking about?

I hope only the best for JG because hes wearing orange. However he without a doubt isnt where he needs to be of we are to win in the SEC.

Regardless of the O-Iine play he has to get rid of it quicker. And often the pressure is coming from a blitzer that he could read and hit the receiver left open. That has zero to do with the O-line play.
Let's work on winning AN SEC game before we start worrying about winning the SEC

One thing I noticed with JG was that when they audible from whatever play, he'll only shout to the Oline when it's switched to a run. I'm not sure if defenses are picking up on that, but it'd be nice to see some hand gestures to the WRs to keep the LBs honest.
Receivers usually look to the sideline when he does to get the play call. I'm not sure how much or even if their assignment changes when they run audible.

He does need to be conscious to fake signal the RB's when they line up in an I for play action.

QD elected to throw the ball up for grabs in double coverage instead of taking sacks. Would you rather take sacks or turnovers?
It probably isn't worth your time to look but how many of his INT's were on 50/50 balls. I'm not going to look back either because it doesn't effect my answer but I can remember 3 of QD's INT's and none were "thrown up for grabs". One vs UF was because a WR didn't get across the face of the DB on a quick slant. One was an attempt at a long quick out vs UGA. Another was just an awful read of the coverage.

But to answer your question... that's like asking if you'd rather be mauled by a lion or a bear. The answer is neither. JG had 2 INT's and something like 26 sacks. Dormady had 6 INT's and a handful of sacks. Neither is what you want.

SJT How is Dormady doing tearing it up down there in Houston? Oh wait he couldn't even win the job at Houston! But he was the best option that we had here right?

SJT How is Dormady doing tearing it up down there in Houston? Oh wait he couldn't even win the job at Houston! But he was the best option that we had here right?
I can't explain his decision to go to Houston to play in a system that fits him worse than Jones' system did other than the possibility that he's just given up on football and wanted to finish his education there for free. There's no way he didn't know who their returning starter was or that he stood no chance of winning that job.

But to your other question. He was the best option for UT last year when the choice was made to start him. He won the job. Neither QB was great. Neither won a bunch of games. Both along with every one of their teammates were trapped in the implosion of Jones' career at UT.

For what little it is worth, King would be the starter for UT right now too. He's a very good QB.

Reactions: FBtime
You're delirious. He's not even remotely close to being replaced at this point. If he struggles against Florida and we need a spark offensively, Chryst may (and should) get a shot seeing as that is a must win game. As long as JG is playing within himself and taking care of the ball like he has to this point, though, he isn't getting replaced. End of story.

Scratch this. Unless JG turns into a turnover machine, he's far and away the guy. Farther than I initially thought. I didn't realize how bad Chryst was until seeing him in person on Saturday.

P

"Banks fumbled at the 1. Obviously this was due to a poor pre snap read by JG. Callaway muffed a punt. JG must have said something to him on the sideline to psych him out." - sjt

I can't explain his decision to go to Houston to play in a system that fits him worse than Jones' system did other than the possibility that he's just given up on football and wanted to finish his education there for free. There's no way he didn't know who their returning starter was or that he stood no chance of winning that job.

But to your other question. He was the best option for UT last year when the choice was made to start him. He won the job. Neither QB was great. Neither won a bunch of games. Both along with every one of their teammates were trapped in the implosion of Jones' career at UT.

For what little it is worth, King would be the starter for UT right now too. He's a very good QB.

You just couldn't go without throwing a punch at JG could you? it is definitely obvious what your agenda is to everyone but you! King would not be an SEC Starting QB, give me a break!

You just couldn't go without throwing a punch at JG could you? it is definitely obvious what your agenda is to everyone but you! King would not be an SEC Starting QB, give me a break!
That shows nothing but your ignorance and blind bias. I have no agenda against JG. You just think that anyone who doesn't blindly idolize him like you must have an "agenda".

Let's look at a couple of proofs for that. I have said good and bad about JG. I said good and bad about QD. I have said good and bad about coaches. I have said good and bad about the OL. I have said good and bad about the receivers. You on the other hand respond to most or all criticisms of JG by attacking the critic and blaming all problems on someone else. Just those patterns of behavior point to which of us is more objective and reasonable.

Before you made that kneejerk post concerning King did you check out the fact that he's top 10 in passing and total O right now? And at this point you can't claim "competition". Arizona, Rice, and Texas Tech compare very favorably to ETSU, WVU, and UTEP.

I don't hate JG. I just don't worship him like you do.

P

"Banks fumbled at the 1. Obviously this was due to a poor pre snap read by JG. Callaway muffed a punt. JG must have said something to him on the sideline to psych him out." - sjt
I know that was an attempt at humor... but you're a more reasonable poster than that. I don't hate JG. I'm critical. The johnrlankford, k-town king, and a handful of others... you can't be critical without having "an agenda".

My only "agenda" is seeing JG grow into a QB that can lead UT to wins. Nothing more nor less. I am rooting for him... I'm just not blind to his flaws.

Scratch this. Unless JG turns into a turnover machine, he's far and away the guy. Farther than I initially thought. I didn't realize how bad Chryst was until seeing him in person on Saturday.
If you look back at my posts around the time JG was named the starter... I knew how bad Chryst could be. I watched 6 or 8 of his games from Stanford before the season started. He isn't even a great game manager. He can't "win" the job. JG can lose it but he can't "win" it.

I am tired of hearing what JG can’t do. He can read defenses. He does not stair down his receiver. He is 7/8 completing passes when blitzed. Aginst UTEMP he looked of the safety on the long pass to 1.
He was is not a senior and he will get better. He is more than good enough to beat FL.

VN Store

Back