Tuesday Practice Thread: UTEP week

Fingers

The most interesting and notable note from Tuesday was Phillip Fulmer’s presence on the field. The former Hall of Fame coach has been at every practice this fall, but today, Fulmer wasn’t in khakis and a jacket but full sweats with a practice outline in his hand. He watched the QBs, WRs and TEs, but mostly observed the offensive line, offering tips to Trey Smith, K’Rojhn Calbert, Drew Richmond and Riley Locklear, among others.

The Vols defensive line was working a bunch on heavy four-man fronts, with Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, Emmitt Gooden and Alexis Johnson al on the field together. The backup group included Matthew Butler, Paul Bain, Kingston Harris and John Mincey.

Linebacker JJ Peterson was in full pads for the first time since arriving at Tennessee. The linebacker looked better in one strike-drill, but he’s clearly limited with his current conditioning

After playing 11 snaps in the opener against West Virginia, DE/OLB Kivon Bennett didn’t play at all Saturday against ETSU and appears to be in the doghouse.
-Jesse Simonton

Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer was out at practice on Tuesday like he usually is, and naturally he was hovering around where the offensive line and tight ends were going through drills. He was even chumming it up with a couple of the players at one point as he intently watched the offensive line at work. Fulmer clearly remains a coach and an offensive lineman at heart even now that he's in his administrative seat atop Tennessee's athletic department.

It was the first day in full pads for freshman linebacker JJ Peterson, and he was getting an earful from support staffer Kevin Simon after going through some drills. The inside linebackers got some work with the single sled as they worked on their tackling techniques. They then worked on dropping into coverage, and Peterson showed some decent hands to pluck a hard throw from Kevin Sherrer on his rep.

Quart'e Sapp again was going through linebacker drills normally, but linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr.and wide receiver Josh Palmer were working on the side with strength coach Craig Fitzgerald during the two open periods before heading out to join their teammates when the Vols went into their team periods.
-Patrick Brown

Last edited:
No comments added from the media this time? Not complaining, I guess you’ve just spoiled us fingers lol.

I know, I know. But Chryst seems to get the ball out quicker. JG always seems to hold it a second or 2 more. Not saying Chryst is better or should start, but he does get the ball out quicker and seems to lead the WR a bit better than JG.

I don't like the idea of PF out on the practice field every day. I REALLY don't like him coaching the line or even appearing to do so Eventually it will cause friction with CJP.
Or.. CJP asked one of the better oline coaches to help in one of the the positions of need.
Smart of Pruitt to take advantage of the situation.

I don't like the idea of PF out on the practice field every day. I REALLY don't like him coaching the line or even appearing to do so Eventually it will cause friction with CJP.

Doubtful. Phil was known for his ability to coach Offensive Lines. As long as he isn't getting into the nitty gritty he is no different than then an additional assistant (with far greater experience)

Two days in a row with comments about Sapp. Really hope he stays the course. He can help us.

Did I miss something on Sapp? He got banged up Saturday from what I could tell. Was taken back to the locker room at one point. Are there reports he is not happy?

JJ's body language has me concerned. He doesnt look like a guy "into" being here. I dont have a good feeling about him. I just dont think he'll be here long enough to make an impact.

VN Store

Back