Transfers?

The reason the three-point shot is not used is the same reason timeouts don't get used properly, they are supposed to be weapons and instruments of strategy not defense mechanisms

I know this is your thing, Jump, but many successful - even legendary - coaches are known for not taking a lot of time outs. They can of course be helpful, but I'm not convinced they are the untapped elixirs of victory.

And their use or misuse isn't a blanket indictment. JMO. GBO!

🤔

Reactions: 4 people
I know this is your thing, Jump, but many successful - even legendary - coaches are known for not taking a lot of time outs. They can of course be helpful, but I'm not convinced they are the untapped elixirs of victory.

And their use or misuse isn't a blanket indictment. JMO. GBO!

🤔

If a team has grown and needs to grow further, then this is a good tactic,,,but using it to make them grow is foolish.

They count on coaches to coach, not just watch. Part of coaching is in-game strategies...Like taking a timeout to stop runs or to straighten out the on-court players....There are many reasons to take TO's...only a few legitimate reasons,,, to not!

Reactions: 1 person
If a team has grown and needs to grow further, then this is a good tactic,,,but using it to make them grow is foolish.

They count on coaches to coach, not just watch. Part of coaching is in-game strategies...Like taking a timeout to stop runs or to straighten out the on-court players....There are many reasons to take TO's...only a few legitimate reasons,,, to not!

Amen to all of this!:rock:

I have seen those things happen during time outs. Perhaps just not enough for your liking. But we don't know everything going on with the game plan.

Reactions: 3 people

The problem is you criticize so much that every time you do it it comes across as just something else for you to criticize, rather than honest analysis. Whether you do it for the sake of criticizing or belittling or to make yourself look good, I don't know. But it's constant. Therefore, many of us don't give you the credibility you may be due.

No doubt in my mind there are many things that go on behind the scenes, in huddles, in practice, in meetings that you know nothing of, yet you make assumptions as if you do.

And you don't allow that there's more the one correct way to coach, or more than one correct strategy, in pretty much any game situation. Yet yours is the right one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Promise Taylor from Ole Miss is transferring to Miss. State. She will sit out this next year and have three years of eligibility left! With their two freshmen bigs coming in..... something has gotta give ? JMO

The problem is you criticize so much that every time you do it it comes across as just something else for you to criticize, rather than honest analysis. Whether you do it for the sake of criticizing or belittling or to make yourself look good, I don't know. But it's constant. Therefore, many of us don't give you the credibility you may be due.

No doubt in my mind there are many things that go on behind the scenes, in huddles, in practice, in meetings that you know nothing of, yet you make assumptions as if you do.

And you don't allow that there's more the one correct way to coach, or more than one correct strategy, in pretty much any game situation. Yet yours is the right one.

The right one...For me.

I am a coach. And as a coach, I look back over the season, and see that nearly every timeout taken to stop a run or bad play...did so.

But not one tv timeout ever affected play or momentum.

Look back at the Alabama game of last year...They went on an 18-4 run and a 14-1 run without us taking a timeout,,,then they take two timeouts to stop a single 15 pt run.

Not calling a timeout is good for growth if they are growing from "having to endure and work it out for themselves on the court"....But if it is not aiding their game at that exact time-span (and from what I saw it didn't), then get back to a proven strategical use of a timeout as a weapon to stop momentum or to get your troop to focus.

And nothing in their play, after this game, indicates that it was beneficial.

Orange, I have been in management for 22 years. The only way I could stay a manager is to understand that "as long as the job gets done in the same amount of time and with the same results",,,to stay hands off

...I have learned that management is getting the job done through the employee and that the "essence of a job well done by a manager is to have things run so well, that you're ((seemingly)) not needed.

So, I know, there are many ways to start, do, and finish tasks...

On the flip-side, if my employees aren't getting it done on their own, it is up to me to make sure two things happen...the problem does gets solved and it doesn't happen continuously.

Last edited:
May the best lady win! Nothing like competition to bring out the best in ya.

Hopefully this freshman class, comes in with the mindset to take a returning players starting spot. As, a returning player, as a competitor you have to help them beat you, cos you can only get better if they get better.

Bring on the competition. Who's leaving the Lady Vol's program? hmmmm wuteva

We had a number #1 class and now a #4 class....
What will 2019 be ???? If you look at just that and the number of scholarships in 19 & 20 would be seven to share in those two years!!! We will have to become more selective. With one already committed and the unknown Hayes sisters.... going to get interesting 🤔

Promise Taylor from Ole Miss is transferring to Miss. State. She will sit out this next year and have three years of eligibility left! With their two freshmen bigs coming in..... something has gotta give ? JMO

I agree, I think she should've followed coach Alex Fuller-Simmons to Gardner Webb, she would've probably been able to get a waiver to play right away with the coaching staff change.

I also think this forces one of their Freshman to leave after 1 season. They already have McCowen (and her backup Zion Campbell) Bibby will see more time at the 4 spot and there is a chance they still land Howard. So the two freshman are unlikely to see time and I would think Taylor would have a leg up on the 2 of them because she already has college experience.

Vic rarely plays underclassman and rely heavily on his veteran leaders.

It will be interesting.

I agree, I think she should've followed coach Alex Fuller-Simmons to Gardner Webb, she would've probably been able to get a waiver to play right away with the coaching staff change.

I also think this forces one of their Freshman to leave after 1 season. They already have McCowen (and her backup Zion Campbell) Bibby will see more time at the 4 spot and there is a chance they still land Howard. So the two freshman are unlikely to see time and I would think Taylor would have a leg up on the 2 of them because she already has college experience.

It will be interesting.

Do you think that we would have an interest if one of the bigs were to leave? I guess it would depend on what we get in 2019 and the potential of getting Caradosa in 2020 ?

It will be interesting.

Victoria Vivians started as a freshman, and Morgan played starter minutes and was usually on the court in the 4th quarter of close games....even though the starting PG was a senior. Dillingham and Richardson we're also freshman starters playing 20+ minutes per game. Looking at stats, even Bibby and McCowan logged decent PT as freshmen.

If I were to guess, I'd say Vic will play the 2 freshmen posts (and Wiggins) if they are any good. No offense to Campbell, but I think White, Carter or both will be ahead of Zion in the rotation by the mid point of the season. They only reason she was on the court last year is because the backup center quit the team and they couldn't get a another season of eligibility from Okorie. Zion will be mostly a practice player next year.

Victoria Vivians started as a freshman, and Morgan played starter minutes and was usually on the court in the 4th quarter of close games....even though the starting PG was a senior. Dillingham and Richardson we're also freshman starters playing 20+ minutes per game. Looking at stats, even Bibby and McCowan logged decent PT as freshmen.

If I were to guess, I'd say Vic will play the 2 freshmen posts (and Wiggins) if they are any good. No offense to Campbell, but I think White, Carter or both will be ahead of Zion in the rotation by the mid point of the season. They only reason she was on the court last year is because the backup center quit the team and they couldn't get a another season of eligibility from Okorie. Zion will be mostly a practice player next year.

All the players you mentioned were before he got the team to the level they were so of course they played minutes as freshman because there was no one else on the roster!

It’s not about just playing as a freshman it’s adjusting to the academics and everything else involved and it normally takes freshman post a lot long than it does many of the other positions as I’ve stated if Howard comes and is allowed immediate eligibility then she starts alongside McCowen with Bibby backing up Howard and Campbell (until he can trust the other two) spelling McCowen who will rarely come off the floor

Reactions: 2 people
All the players you mentioned were before he got the team to the level they were so of course they played minutes as freshman because there was no one else on the roster!

It’s not about just playing as a freshman it’s adjusting to the academics and everything else involved and it normally takes freshman post a lot long than it does many of the other positions as I’ve stated if Howard comes and is allowed immediate eligibility then she starts alongside McCowen with Bibby backing up Howard and Campbell (until he can trust the other two) spelling McCowen who will rarely come off the floor

MSST has only been good for 2 years, so that's not much time to say he does or doesn't play freshmen. Last year, he played Bibby a decent amount and she's a post, so he's not opposed to it. I've never bought into the whole "it takes posts longer to develop" theory. There have been plenty that were ready on day 1, and they didn't have to be McD AAs. There will be ample opportunity to play when their competition is a slight, undersized Zion Campbell. Vic will not risk a McCowan injury during a blowout game, and MSST will have their fair share of those, which will give White and Carter plenty of PT.

Do you think that we would have an interest if one of the bigs were to leave? I guess it would depend on what we get in 2019 and the potential of getting Caradosa in 2020 ?

I think we would've previously with Jessika Carter as we were in her final 3 (word is it came down to us and Miss State) but I don't think so. I think with Saunders committing so soon (verbally of course) and us still being in play for Key and Brown (and were getting in late on Davenport) and the chance at getting Cardosa in 2020 we wouldn't go that route unless we bombed out and I don't see that happening.

MSST has only been good for 2 years, so that's not much time to say he does or doesn't play freshmen. Last year, he played Bibby a decent amount and she's a post, so he's not opposed to it. I've never bought into the whole "it takes posts longer to develop" theory. There have been plenty that were ready on day 1, and they didn't have to be McD AAs. There will be ample opportunity to play when their competition is a slight, undersized Zion Campbell. Vic will not risk a McCowan injury during a blowout game, and MSST will have their fair share of those, which will give White and Carter plenty of PT.

Bibby plays post by default (kinda like Vivians did this year though) She's really a 3 who can play some 4 and I don't see many blow outs this season.

They lost 4 starters and they bring back a few pieces that showed promise but I don't see a Vivians, Johnson, or Williams coming in the players they are adding all have "potential" listed by their names for a reason.

We shall see.

It's a different story when the emphasis is set on stopping you and we will see how McCowen adjust with limited offensive skills.

Reactions: 2 people

LSU just received help Thomas Joins LSU Women's Basketball Team - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Bianca Cuevas-Moore transferring BACK to USC.

GamecocksOnline.com - South Carolina Gamecocks Official Athletic Site Official Athletic Site of the South Carolina Gamecocks - Women's Basketball

That back court got a little more crowded. She will add a punch to them for sure! With 7 players vying for perimeter spots playing time is going to be at a premium. Dawn can make it work for sure and it’s a good problem to have.

Financial Aide papers between a school and a grad transfer are nonbinding even if you sign the paper ( The player that signed with Seton Hall then turned around and signed with Rutgers who was a grad transfer).

So Coach Staley did nothing wrong by still recruiting a player that signed with another school legally. Pat summit (and even Holly stayed away from players who made verbal commitments to other schools aka zay green) but other coaches do it all the time in basketball and you always see it in football where committed players are offered official visits to come to their campus even after letting their verbal commitment be known. Bama and Clemson have done this turning around commitments in their favor.

Who will be the first?

I think we keep everyone, however, if we don’t play up to our talent there may be a transfer or two. No matter who is mentally tougher, fans, players or coaching, things have to get better with the talent we have. Giving Holly excuses is not going to get it done. We are recruiting like a top five program, however, we are not playing up to our talent level.

Ole Miss guard Madinah Muhammad transfers to UNC for her final year of eligibility. She would have been a great pickup for any team.

I wonder if the Ole Miss girls who transferred can appeal sitting out a year. Seems a bit unfair to punish them for opting to leave when the coach who they signed up to play for was fired. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Madinah or Promise successfully appeal the waiting period.

Ole Miss guard Madinah Muhammad transfers to UNC for her final year of eligibility. She would have been a great pickup for any team.

I wonder if the Ole Miss girls who transferred can appeal sitting out a year. Seems a bit unfair to punish them for opting to leave when the coach who they signed up to play for was fired. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Madinah or Promise successfully appeal the waiting period.

Medinah is grad transferring

Per NCAA regulations, Muhammad will sit out the 2018-19 school year and will have one season of eligibility remaining for the 2019-20 campaign.

If she is a grad transfer this NCAA provision does not apply ….she can play immediately.

She only played 3 years at Ole Miss. I don't believe she graduated. The announcement from UNC said she was sitting out next season per NCAA transfer rules.

VN Store

Back