Tourney Game Ball

birdie74

Not sure if this topic has been addressed… Is the ball being used in the NCAA tourney the same ball used during the regular season? I’ve watched too much of the tourney already and a constant has been poor shooting - for most part. One could argue good defense or tourney jitters - but that would not explain the long rebounds, shots that rattle and pop out, easy bank shots that are blown, free throws that bound out beyond the blocks.
If the NCAA has forced a new ball into the games for financial reasons, then shame on them. The quality of play has suffered…

Just googled it. Says a new ball never used before is what’s being used. I wonder what the difference is?????

Probably money involved. Use this ball and we’ll pay NCAA some money. Everything is about the money.

From the NCAA web site:

The Wilson NCAA Solution and current Evo NXT basketball models are approved for NCAA regular season play on all courts for the 2021-2022 season, while the NCAA-branded Evo NXT will be available for through Wilson beginning in October 2021. The Evo NXT is also the official game ball of the WNBA. Visit wilson.com for availability and to learn more.

From what I can see, regular season basketballs are picked by the conferences or the home teams, and have to meet NCAA specs, but the NCAA doesn't dictate a specific ball. Also, looks like the major conference tournaments use the Evo NXT.

Just googled it. Says a new ball never used before is what’s being used. I wonder what the difference is?????

You misread. The ball has never been used in the tournament. It has been used in plenty of college bball games and it is my favorite ball. It’s a combination of the evolution and wave balls. It is a great ball. Good grip and handles moisture very well. Great ball to shoot.

Ball tampering should be confined to the NFL. Balls in Charlotte were definitely cooler and tight around the rim.

You misread. The ball has never been used in the tournament. It has been used in plenty of college bball games and it is my favorite ball. It’s a combination of the evolution and wave balls. It is a great ball. Good grip and handles moisture very well. Great ball to shoot.
Thanks for correcting me. I read it too fast.

Reactions: Kas232323
I may be crazy but I thought there was a ball problem in the first game. There were a few times that players were dribbling and suddenly seemed to get a big bounce from the ball. To me that means too much air in the ball. Like I said, I could be crazy.

I may be crazy but I thought there was a ball problem in the first game. There were a few times that players were dribbling and suddenly seemed to get a big bounce from the ball. To me that means too much air in the ball. Like I said, I could be crazy.
There must of been a dozen halfway down balls that came back out.

The Wilson Evolution was always my favorite. I’ve never tried the NXT but sounds like it’s an upgrade.

Looks like I left out this part (dated 6/23/21), also from the NCAA web site:

Wilson Sporting Goods Co., in partnership with the National Collegiate Athletic Association® (NCAA), today introduced its new official game ball for the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball championships as well as the National Invitation Tournament. Featuring the NCAA logo with gold foil embellishments, the Evo NXT will be used beginning with the 2021-22 season.

So unless this changed since then, this should be the third tournament using the Evo NXT.

VN Store

Back