Tough Test in Week One

I'm completely in disagreement here.

I think we match up with them extremely well. I'm not just saying that because I'm a UT fan. I said the exact opposite last season with Georgia Tech and 2015 versus Arkansas. Our run defense was a huge concern last season and GT ate us alive on the ground. Versus WV, their strength is their passing game, and I'd see our strength on defense being the DBs and LBs in coverage.
Our defense was so bad last year, we match up poorly with any team that does anything well on offense. Our DBs couldn't make any plays on the ball at all last year. They weren't tested consistently last year because our rush defense was so bad, why risk errant throws down the field when you can run it up the middle for consistent 7 yard gains. I suppose the "strength" of our defense is at LB, but that's a relative term. The D-line is full of underachievers who get blown off the ball and Warrior is the only above-average player in the entire secondary. I was on here saying that GT last year was a bad matchup for us too. Chandler and Jordan are good options at RB for us, but the problem is that our offensive line was awful.

The game isn't David vs. Goliath as jake says, but they are and should be a decisive favorite. We only win the game or have it competitive in the fourth quarter if we have improved massively on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. I expect Pruitt to improve the defense massively while here, but this is game #1.

Our defense was so bad last year, we match up poorly with any team that does anything well on offense. Our DBs couldn't make any plays on the ball at all last year. They weren't tested consistently last year because our rush defense was so bad, why risk errant throws down the field when you can run it up the middle for consistent 7 yard gains. I suppose the "strength" of our defense is at LB, but that's a relative term. The D-line is full of underachievers who get blown off the ball and Warrior is the only above-average player in the entire secondary. I was on here saying that GT last year was a bad matchup for us too. Chandler and Jordan are good options at RB for us, but the problem is that our offensive line was awful.

The game isn't David vs. Goliath as jake says, but they are and should be a decisive favorite. We only win the game or have it competitive in the fourth quarter if we have improved massively on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. I expect Pruitt to improve the defense massively while here, but this is game #1.
last year was last year. if we suck this year, it will have nothing to do with last year. it will have a lot more to do with all the new and transitioning in to new schemes, different personnel etc...

and that's fine if you want to hang your pessimism on that. at least that makes sense.

this isn't an easy game, and i have no qualms with anyone picking WVU to win the game.

i just won't be shocked if we pull it out or at least make them pucker up late. i don't see us getting blown out.

CJP emphasizes the importance of playing tough, with every player at every position on the field doing his job. Controlling time of possession with a running game involves effective passing to unload the box, and I expect our offense to put some air under the ball to loosen up WV's defense. Can Tennessee's offense make enough of those plays? Yes. Will they? That brings us back to playing tough, which starts at the line of scrimmage. Our coaches and players surely know that fighting hard to win battles at the line throughout the game is key to winning. By game's end, I like our chances on offense. Will our defense keep us in the game?

VN Store

Back