Top 10 vols of this century?

Only reason I can see is he was a 4 year starter and the best PG we've had since Tony Harris, probably...plus he is our longest-tenured NBA player in recent memory who qualifies for the list.

You and Thunder both make good points. I actually agree with him being on the list, he was also the smoothest player we had at Tennessee during this period. He made difficult plays look easy. And His shot, like JRich, improved every year her was here.

He also flat out shut down opponents pgs too.

That NBA aspect definitely has merit also.

Last edited:
Dane belongs due to intangibles and contributions to team success. Richardson should be ranked higher.
The problems with a top any number list is there are always a bunch of players hovering around that upper limit. Argument can be made for many of them. I would have liked to have seen Maymon on it but injury limited what could have been an outstanding career.

Coming over late doesn’t help either

You and Thunder both make good points. I actually agree with him being on the list, he was also the smoothest player we had at Tennessee during this period. He made difficult plays look easy. And His shot, like JRich, improved every year her was here.

He also flat out shut down opponents pgs too.

That NBA aspect definitely has merit also.

I didn't mean to sound like I was banging the table against his inclusion. I'm actually fine with him being on there.

Wayne Chism, Bobby Maze, and Scotty Hopson had a hand in that as well, Dallas. JP didn't will us to the Elite 8. He's not "THE reason".

Heck just think if Melvin Goins doesn’t randomly get hot from three against San Diego state in the first round they would’ve been bounced then too. That run had randomness all over the place.

PG= C.J. Watson, Rodney Woods
SG= Allan Houston, Chris Lofton
SF- Ernie Grunfeld, Dyron Nix
PF- Bernard King, Ron Widby
C- Tom Boerwinkle, Steve Hamer

And there are quite a few others who could be on this list.

Mostly 20th Century. But that's a solid all time list. Kosmalski was a really good traditional low post. Bill Justus, Jimmy England, Tony White, Tony Harris, Mike Edwards, Danny Shultz, AW Davis, Larry Robinson, Mike Jackson. Reggie Johnson, Dale Ellis, Johnny Darden, Don Johnson, Michael Brooks, Willie Burton, Dickie Johnston, Gary Carter... all pre-2000 guys that would be stars in nearly any era.

Reactions: 2 people
No idea what you’re talking about. I just remember him catching about 2 lobs a game and saluting the crowd. Blocking shots and driving and dishing.

JP was prime time. Not necessarily gathering impressive stats, but always seemed to be around and contributing something in the biggest moments.

Random question: are assists only given on made baskets? If the receiver of a great pass gets hammered and goes to the FT line, no assist is given... correct?

No idea what you’re talking about. I just remember him catching about 2 lobs a game and saluting the crowd. Blocking shots and driving and dishing.

I remember one announcer saying it best. Prince was the only player who could have about 5 top ten plays a game. But also have about 5 not top ten plays as well with some dumb moments.

I remember one announcer saying it best. Prince was the only player who could have about 5 top ten plays a game. But also have about 5 not top ten plays as well with some dumb moments.

TN has been lucky by not necessarily having glaring, dumb, embarrassing moments. Off hand the biggest one that I can recall that worked out without being a disaster was when JaJuan threw himself a pass off of the backboard on a breakaway after a game clinching steal that would have slammed the door on a huge win. Might have been Texas, maybe Kansas. It was about the maddest that I ever recall seeing Pearl. It had the potential to be the dumbest play in the history of TN basketball.

TN has been lucky by not necessarily having glaring, dumb, embarrassing moments. Off hand the biggest one that I can recall that worked out without being a disaster was when JaJuan threw himself a pass off of the backboard on a breakaway after a game clinching steal that would have slammed the door on a huge win. Might have been Texas, maybe Kansas. It was about the maddest that I ever recall seeing Pearl. It had the potential to be the dumbest play in the history of TN basketball.

I ❤️ Jajuan Smith

Heck just think if Melvin Goins doesn’t randomly get hot from three against San Diego state in the first round they would’ve been bounced then too. That run had randomness all over the place.

Yeah, San Diego State featuring Kawhi Leonard

Mostly 20th Century. But that's a solid all time list. Kosmalski was a really good traditional low post. Bill Justus, Jimmy England, Tony White, Tony Harris, Mike Edwards, Danny Shultz, AW Davis, Larry Robinson, Mike Jackson. Reggie Johnson, Dale Ellis, Johnny Darden, Don Johnson, Michael Brooks, Willie Burton, Dickie Johnston, Gary Carter... all pre-2000 guys that would be stars in nearly any era.

Fantastic list.

Bernard King, Dale Ellis, Reggie Johnson, Allan Houston and Ernie Grunfeld are miles ahead of anyone in this century.

King is easily the best player ever at UT and maybe SEC. Ellis is UT's second best ever

VN Store

Back