'18 TN DT Brant Lawless

Could he not blue shirt.

That's what they offered him and he declined so they gave him a full release. So this entire debate is completely pointless.

Edit, technically I guess they offered grey shirt. Where he enrolls after the season. But it is still a pointless debate. As they granted the release and he will not play here.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what they offered him and he declined so they gave him a full release. So this entire debate is completely pointless.

Edit, technically I guess they offered grey shirt. Where he enrolls after the season. But it is still a pointless debate. As they granted the release and he will not play here.

I don't think many are debating, I just think everyone is trying to figure out situations like this given the new rules.
Nothing wrong with that.

@ reVOLution: The staff were not sold enough to hold a spot for this year but were willing to offer him a spot for next year.
Kid didn't want to pay to come (my guess) and that's understandable.

I don't think many are debating, I just think everyone is trying to figure out situations like this given the new rules.
Nothing wrong with that.

@ reVOLution: The staff were not sold enough to hold a spot for this year but were willing to offer him a spot for next year.

I agree with you. I was also confused about this numbers game and understand Bruin's questions. Still don't understand how the heck it can count as part of 25, but not. When does 25 not equal 25? New math.
Scholarships vs bodies. Leave it to the NCAA to come up with something so convoluted. Or maybe nobody has dumbed it down to my level.

Nothing wrong with that.

I understand this my point was that they were still honoring his commitment.

Effective for the 2018 recruiting cycle, there is now a separate limit of 25 signings (NLI or aid agreement) per academic year. If a player signs an NLI but doesn't enroll, the school does not get that signee spot back to use for another player. Also, blueshirting can't be done anymore -- because an initial fall scholarship counts against the current academic year's signing limit. Btw, transfers (all types) do count count toward the signing limit as well as the 25/85 (initial/total) counters limits.

NCAA Bylaws:

13.9.2.3 Limitation on the Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings. [FBS] For the football bowl subdivision, there shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid and student-athletes who may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time. (Revised: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)

13.9.2.3.1 Application. [FBS] A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent (NLI) or an institutional offer of financial aid or student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent (NLI) or an institutional offer of financial aid or student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the next academic year. (Revised: 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17 for signings that occur on or after 8/1/17)

Last edited:
Late as in his spot is gone or late as in school started? Assuming since JJ is still supposedly coming it’s the first one. Surprising too since we need all the dudes we can get on the DL.
Garland and Harris gains cost him his spot in the end. If he’d have reported earlier, then we’d be wishing Peterson well instead. Kennedy was a get...even bigger need and Lawless reporting this late negates the odds of him contributing THIS season. Acceptable loss.

Garland and Harris gains cost him his spot in the end. If he’d have reported earlier, then we’d be wishing Peterson well instead. Kennedy was a get...even bigger need and Lawless reporting this late negates the odds of him contributing THIS season. Acceptable loss.
I think Kennedy getting in before he qualified is what happened.

VN Store

Back