'25 TN DL Ethan Utley (Tennessee commit)

I agree but I don’t like scheduling multiple visits to schools you were very interested in before you committed.
Not sure I follow. For me, a kid schedules and takes visits then he chooses a school and it's done. I see the way this kid is doing it as being backward. To commit then go on his visits smacks of trying to enhance his NIL and/or attention seeking. We might be saying the same thing, but I'm not sure based on your comment.

Not inclined to celebrate this one if he announces our way. Doesn’t seem like a confirmed appointment.
Like getting a girl to agree to go out with you, while she continues to go on dates with other dudes. I guess you can call her your girlfriend but that title is tenuous at best.

Like getting a girl to agree to go out with you, while she continues to go on dates with other dudes. I guess you can call her your girlfriend but that title is tenuous at best.
That girl has already told you she doesnt like labels, and will be pursuing other suitors.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I’m all for a recruit enjoying the process as it’s a once in a lifetime moment. Just strange to do an official commitment announcement before taking the visits. Even “silently” committing then taking your visits and publicly committing afterwards is not all that strange to me. This is an odd one for sure. Hope we can hang on through the rest of the cycle.
This is nothing unusual.

This is nothing unusual.
Not taking any of those official visits before doing a publicized announcement is pretty unusual (I know he's been to UT a ton). Unless something changed., he said he planned to continue doing officials with the strong contenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Not taking any of those official visits before doing a publicized announcement is pretty unusual (I know he's been to UT a ton). Unless something changed., he said he planned to continue doing officials.
Lots of players every year announce commitments and then continue to take official and unofficial visits elsewhere. These days it's FAR more unusual for a kid to actually completely shut down his recruitment after he commits somewhere.

Lots of players every year announce commitments and then continue to take official and unofficial visits elsewhere. These days it's FAR more unusual for a kid to actually completely shut down his recruitment after he commits somewhere.
Yes I know that. I'm speaking specifically about the top contenders. He announced his commitment time and also announced he will continue taking officials to the other contenders after his committment. That's the unusual part. Not the visit themselves.

Last edited:
Yes I know that. I'm speaking specifically about the top contenders. He announced his commitment time and also announced he will continue taking officials to the other contenders. That's the unusual part. Not the visit themselves.
Once again, it's not unusual. Why the hell would anyone waste their time visiting schools in which they never had any interest? Many of you guys are ridiculous. You worry about everything.

Reactions: barrylee
Why would an athlete not explore his options even if he's committed to a school? Especially this day and age with NIL lol. Also, this happens every year with recruits. Go to worry circle
They should explore their options. My original post said as much. Most have said, it's just different for a recruit to announce a commitment date but also make a formal announcement along with said committment date that they will continue to officially visit their other contenders. Obviously, we've been on the good end of that stick in flipping some players at times. Most other recruits just announce and make the visits as they come. Saying something is different is not the same as saying you're worried. Common sense is that we'll have to continue to battle to keep him.

Last edited:
We were in a similar situation with Ross last year right? Most of our commits have a tendency to stick unless we’re kind of just moving on from them and not even making contact. He still could go elsewhere but you like the percentages if he commits here and starts networking with our current class. Boo Carter had everybody panicking last year on his Colorado visit and even had a few fans turn against him on social media. Come to find out he was peer recruiting for Tennessee during the time when some idiots called him out.

We were in a similar situation with Ross last year right? Most of our commits have a tendency to stick unless we’re kind of just moving on from them and not even making contact. He still could go elsewhere but you like the percentages if he commits here and starts networking with our current class. Boo Carter had everybody panicking last year on his Colorado visit and even had a few fans turn against him on social media. Come to find out he was peer recruiting for Tennessee during the time when some idiots called him out.
Yep pretty much. But Boo also didn’t announce his commitment date as well as announcing being open in his recruitment at the same time either. Think that’s one of the differences. Never had any doubts about Boo though. Most of us know it’s not really official until ink to paper anyways. Still have to actively recruit your commits. It’s also still usually better for the team a recruit initially commits to. Odds are in our favor here.

Reactions: barrylee
Yep pretty much. But Boo also didn’t announce his commitment date as well as announcing being open in his recruitment at the same time either. Think that’s one of the differences. Never had any doubts about Boo though. Most of us know it’s not really official until ink to paper anyways. Still have to actively recruit your commits. It’s also still usually better for the team a recruit initially commits to. Odds are in our favor here.
I don’t know the exact wording this kid used but I think Boo told us from his commitment he was still going to take the Colorado visit. Garner and this kids mom are tight so I imagine this sticks unless we just look like trash this year and Texas surges.

Reactions: MemphisVol3
I don’t know the exact wording this kid used but I think Boo told us from his commitment he was still going to take the Colorado visit. Garner and this kids mom are tight so I imagine this sticks unless we just look like trash this year and Texas surges.
Agreed...and yeah Boo said he was taking the Colorado visit to experience the whole Deion draw that was going on there. Had a friend whose also a UT alum that went there for a game and said it was a good time (didn't compare it to the Rocky Top experience obviously). Deion basically was using the Travis Hunter spin to try to recruit Boo. Heard he did give it a good listen but obviously stuck with us.

VN Store

Back