The season that forever altered the Tennessee-Florida rivalry

That was my question. UT hasn't exactly figured UF out.

Also, I wouldn't say Chavis figured out Spurrier that night. UF was a 2 point conversion away from a tie in regulation.
They also got a lot of help from the officials in 2001 (again!). I specifically remember a lateral of theirs we recovered that was ruled incomplete and a Rex Grossman sack that should have been ruled a fumble (which we recovered). That was in the 4th quarter and they kicked a long field goal two plays later to make it 27-26. Total BS. Anyway, we did figure out how to run on them in 2000... and that lasted through 2004.

Reactions: Boca Vol
They also got a lot of help from the officials in 2001 (again!). I specifically remember a lateral of theirs we recovered that was ruled incomplete and a Rex Grossman sack that should have been ruled a fumble (which we recovered). That was in the 4th quarter and they kicked a long field goal two plays later to make it 27-26. Total BS. Anyway, we did figure out how to run on them in 2000... and that lasted through 2004.

I remember that play and Fulmer called a TO and tee-totally chewed out the refs ass! Grossman clearly fumbled.

Still, UT fans like to use the phrase "drain the swamp" but it was a close game mainly due to Jason Witten fumbling several times.

The '91 game in the Swamp is pretty legendary around here for the behavior of Florida fans. I wasn't at the game but I have heard so many stories about water balloons, coins, toilet paper and various other forms of debris being thrown at Tennessee fans during the game and also at the Tennessee sideline. At least some it has to be true. There was a write up in the News Sentinel in the fall of '92 that even included a comment from Vicky Fulmer about having to defend herself from Florida fans. The SEC mandated that a student section could no longer be located behind the opposing team's bench in response to that game.

Bring up the subject to most Florida fans and they will admit it happened, but add that it was somehow justified because Tennessee players led fans in the Gator clap the year before and our student section had chanted "Our students don't die!" in reference to the Gainesville Ripper slaying (Danny Rolling) that had been ongoing. This series turned ugly fast.

1991 was the worst I’ve seen UF students treat an opposing fan base, and that includes UGA making a rare visit to Gainesville in 1994. It was as bad as advertised, and collectively I can’t recall our students behaving that badly since.

I’ll also add that I was a senior in 1990, and when word got back on campus about the chant about the five murdered students in Neyland, the entire campus had UT’s return trip to Gainesville marked on the calendar the following year.

UT definitely got Spurrier’s attention from a talent standpoint. Your 1990 team was LOADED (someday you’ll have to explain losing 9-6 loss to Bama that year...look up fluke in the dictionary and you’ll see that game).

Spurrier wasn’t known as the greatest recruiter, but that 45-3 beatdown made him focus on bringing in better talent, which ultimately led to our 1992 class that was the foundation for our first national title in ‘96.

Look up Johnny Majors and you will understand why we lost that bama game. That 1990 team could have been national champs. Though, almost every single team we had in the 90's could make that argument and that's not me just being a homer. We were just that consistently loaded back then.

The '91 game in the Swamp is pretty legendary around here for the behavior of Florida fans. I wasn't at the game but I have heard so many stories about water balloons, coins, toilet paper and various other forms of debris being thrown at Tennessee fans during the game and also at the Tennessee sideline. At least some it has to be true. There was a write up in the News Sentinel in the fall of '92 that even included a comment from Vicky Fulmer about having to defend herself from Florida fans. The SEC mandated that a student section could no longer be located behind the opposing team's bench in response to that game.

Bring up the subject to most Florida fans and they will admit it happened, but add that it was somehow justified because Tennessee players led fans in the Gator clap the year before and our student section had chanted "Our students don't die!" in reference to the Gainesville Ripper slaying (Danny Rolling) that had been ongoing. This series turned ugly fast.

Urban legend.

Gator fans aren't that organized.

Thanks DD, that was a game for the ages! Conquering Spurrier. That's when we had football. Half the team would have be in concussion protocol in that game. Travis Stephens lives in the heart of every vol fan and whawevert happened to Bobby Graham. He made some big catches early on in that game. Go Vols, it's time to bury the gators in the swamp for good.

Urban legend.

Disagree...after Larry Kennedy’s pick six to seal the win, our student section rained plastic cups at UT fans and each other. At the time it was craziest I’d ever seen The Swamp, until the ‘97 FSU game.

Urban legend.

They may not be organized, but there are plenty of low-lifes and sore losers. Every trip to Gainesville, I swear I'll never return. I'm a reasonable, non-confrontational guy, and I've been spit on, hit in the back with a football, cussed and flipped off by co-eds, threatened to fight, and verbally taunted even after a Gator loss. Worst fan behavior of any rival town, and it isn't really even close. Disclaimer: I have not been to Death Valley.

Just the numbers 9-6 make my blood boil till this day!

Kinda like 28-27..........or 10-9!

Corey Anderson fumble in the final minutes of the 2005 Bama game is one that got me riled up for a bit. 6-3 loss that day. I just remember my uncle's drink went flying and dad got up and walked out on the back porch without saying anything.

I don't remember the 1990 game as I was too young to really pay attention to UT football, but I'd imagine it has the same sting.

Disagree...after Larry Kennedy’s pick six to seal the win, our student section rained plastic cups at UT fans and each other. At the time it was craziest I’d ever seen The Swamp, until the ‘97 FSU game.

Spontaneously throwing plastic cups, with or without beer or soda, is not the same thing as claiming that the students en masse planned out throwing bags of urine or batteries at people.

If I remember right, the Vols lined up to kick a go-ahead FG with under a minute left in the game. Bama blocked the kick, the ball bounced an ungodly amount of yards back into Tennessee territory, and Bama wound up with the game winning FG. Never have seen anything like it, before or since. I'm sure I broke something that day when that happened, but I can't remember what. Selective memory is sometimes a good thing.
That's exactly how it happened. Also during the game, they pulled Andy Kelly and put Henton (the running QB) in the game and had him throwing the ball. It was the most ridiculous loss in UT history in my opinion. We were way better than Bama and just could not manage to beat them in that time period. I was glad we lost because had we not we would have had 3 ties that year. That would have had to have been a record in and of itself! Best Vol team in history in my opinion. We were loaded with talent!

VN Store

Back