The Runner's thread

Started training for a 5k on 5/7/18. Have done 68 miles since then and just completed my first race on 7/3/18 @ the Pilot Fireball Moonlight Classic 5k.

Didn't get the time I had hoped for but I finished the race and that was the ultimate goal. Going to start training again next week in hopes to improve the time.

Ultimate goal is to do a Marathon.

Love this thread and reading how some of you experienced runners dominate the pavement/trails.

Reactions: 2 people
Started training for a 5k on 5/7/18. Have done 68 miles since then and just completed my first race on 7/3/18 @ the Pilot Fireball Moonlight Classic 5k.

Didn't get the time I had hoped for but I finished the race and that was the ultimate goal. Going to start training again next week in hopes to improve the time.

Ultimate goal is to do a Marathon.

Love this thread and reading how some of you experienced runners dominate the pavement/trails.

Welcome to the obsession. I hurt the arch of my foot playing basketball in some running shoes so I started my Marine Corps Marathon training a week late (this week). Feel free to post your adventures. I miss this being a very active thread!

I’m out at least another month or so according to the physical therapist I saw yesterday. I HATE not running

Got 4.22 miles in yesterday afternoon after work. More hills than I am used to on this run but really enjoyed it. Longest run I have done yet!

Welcome to the obsession. I hurt the arch of my foot playing basketball in some running shoes so I started my Marine Corps Marathon training a week late (this week). Feel free to post your adventures. I miss this being a very active thread!

I did the Marine Corps Marathon in the mid 90s, 75 degrees with 90+ humidity at start time, it was brutal. Great course though, with the exception of the Hains point out and back.

I did the Marine Corps Marathon in the mid 90s, 75 degrees with 90+ humidity at start time, it was brutal. Great course though, with the exception of the Hains point out and back.

this will be my third and I was a spectator for a bunch of friends last year. They've slightly altered the course each year. I like the Hains Point part. My biggest gripe is Crystal City. End of the course and it's essentially an out and back route. Not an exciting bit to race when you're hitting the marathon "wall"

this will be my third and I was a spectator for a bunch of friends last year. They've slightly altered the course each year. I like the Hains Point part. My biggest gripe is Crystal City. End of the course and it's essentially an out and back route. Not an exciting bit to race when you're hitting the marathon "wall"

They made a significant change after September 11th didn't they? What I didn't like about Hains point was that there were no people on that stretch and I was completely dehydrated, just looking at the point and thinking I would never get there so I could turn around. Yeah, now that you mention it Crystal City portion was boring.

They made a significant change after September 11th didn't they? What I didn't like about Hains point was that there were no people on that stretch and I was completely dehydrated, just looking at the point and thinking I would never get there so I could turn around. Yeah, now that you mention it Crystal City portion was boring.

I dunno. It still goes around the Pentagon, so I don’t know how much they would’ve changed. Two years ago (I think?) we even did two loops through Pentagon South parking due to construction in other areas.

Still not back to running. It's been 9 weeks since the fracture and sprain. I have to see a podiatrist when I get back to Campbell.

I ran three miles last night with my 8 year old. He ran all three miles. Only stopped once for about thirty seconds or so. And he finished his three miles with a sub 9:30 pace. I thought that was pretty good for an 8 year old. I was a proud dad when he finished.

I just don't enjoy running in the heat of mid-summer. I've been biking and swimming some, but today I took advantage of the cooler weather with a nice gentle-paced 5 miles after work. Felt good!

First run since the ankle fracture (I did 2 miles the other day on a treadmill. Pain was manageable. Still gonna be awhile it seems

5.5 after work today, but it's still pretty hot and humid. I'm thinking about training for a half this winter.

Still considering working up to a half in December. Question for those with some longer-distance experience: is it feasible to train for 13.1 by just doing 3 runs a week? I really don't have much desire to do more than that, and if I did I would have to sacrifice lifting days. I can do about 6 miles right now at a decent pace, so my thought is one faster day, one pace day, and then one long run/week -- increasing that distance 1/2 mile a week over the next 12.

Still considering working up to a half in December. Question for those with some longer-distance experience: is it feasible to train for 13.1 by just doing 3 runs a week? I really don't have much desire to do more than that, and if I did I would have to sacrifice lifting days. I can do about 6 miles right now at a decent pace, so my thought is one faster day, one pace day, and then one long run/week -- increasing that distance 1/2 mile a week over the next 12.

When I trained for my half I ran four days a week and that was all that was recommended. I felt like I was ready for the distance with that training program but my mistake was not adding enough hills in my training runs. The course had some killer hills and it hurt the closer I got to the end.

the distances and paces you've posted in the past @kiddiedoc I think you could easily do 3 runs a week and be ready by December. 3 weeks out or so, try to work up to 11 miles and you'll be fine. Adrenaline on race day will carry you the rest of the way. I'd do one long run, an interval run and an easy run at your desired pace. If your desired half is near where you live, try to get some mileage on the actual course. Just don't run the entire course. At least not too many times. It will become mundane and you'll inadvertently ease up on race day.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check back in if I decide to follow through! Some cooler temps would be helpful.

I never trained for a half (I’ve done about 13 now) or a full (just one).

I would definitely train for a full if I ever do one again.

VN Store

Back